Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench

/ Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Anyone besides me have one and if you do, are you impressed or not?

I bought mine after the Torque Test channel on YT tested one. I remains at the top of their quite extensive chart for air powered impact wrenches. I also have an IR Thundergun but the Thor delivers almost 1/3 again as much beans as the IR does and it's not as expensive either. It is an air hog at 6.5 cfm @135 psi but I have the air compressor that can handle that and more.

Got mine from Summit Racing and had to wait 2 months to get it, but it was worth the wait. Have to use quality impact rated sockets with it, it will destroy lesser sockets right now, but then so will my IR.

Have not found any bolt it won't break loose or break off, whichever comes first. For 165 bucks it's quite the impact wrench.

/ Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench #4  
But its cheaper for me to buy electric as IF I go with big air (which I only have small air now and limited air tools ) it's going to cost me $1000 for good compressor, and tools is still attached by a hose.... Does not help if vehicle I am trying to change tire on is beyond limit (length) of hose.... For me its pretty much dictated by need than ability of tool...

Last edited:
   / Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench #5  
Problem is (for me) its still attached to compressor....
Yup, and if you actually run your equipment in off road areas, like you and I do, a compressor is about as useless as a 72 year old man in a fist fight.

I can remove anything I need with my DeWalt 1/2” 60V impact-including bush hog blade bolts.

/ Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench
I have surplus air actually. I have a Sullaire screw compressor in the shop and 100 feet of air line which reaches about anywhere I need to use the gun. I also have a cordless battery operated Milwaukee but I much prefer the air tools

/ Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench #7  
I have surplus air actually. I have a Sullaire screw compressor in the shop and 100 feet of air line which reaches about anywhere I need to use the gun. I also have a cordless battery operated Milwaukee but I much prefer the air tools
100’ huh?
Cool….
That should be long enough for all your farmland.

/ Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench #8  
So what, I have 120 ft. of hose ... Hose is cheapest part of equation... Still does no cover my 5 acres..

/ Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench
So what, I have 120 ft. of hose ... Hose is cheapest part of equation... Still does no cover my 5 acres..
fair statement but I do 99% of my maintenance and bucket rebuild work at or in my shop and I need high impact torque air wrenches. If the Thor won't get it I can get out my heavyweight 1" drive IR. My big use is for plow and bucket wear steel replacements. They can and do get extremely hard to take apart.

I've never had the need for impacts in the field actually. I have had the need for a welder in the field and I have a Lincoln Ranger 8 that goes in the back of the truck. Engine drives are very handy. I use it in the shop and outside the shop too.

Different strokes for different folks.

/ Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench #10  
But its cheaper for me to buy electric as IF I go with big air (which I only have small air now and limited air tools ) it's going to cost me $1000 for good compressor, and tools is still attached by a hose.... Does not help if vehicle I am trying to change tire on is beyond limit (length) of hose.... For me its pretty much dictated by need than ability of tool...
I understand, and I've found a 1/2" battery impact driver to be a life saver many times. But for working around the shop pneumatic tools are awesome. And I really didn't know that until a few years ago when I upgraded my compressor to support a plasma cutter, really opened my eyes.