My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,431  
People often think - mistakenly - that a particular job is just what it is called - "Painting" means laying down paint on a wall, for example. Of course that is always a piece of it, but there are always so many more steps to it in both prep and cleanup that many folks get the wrong idea of what the job/task is about. All that cleaning you are doing is part of the task of staining the floor, it isn't some extra task to do. When you start thinking of those things as part of the job and not something you have to do to get to the actual job, it starts to make more sense and you won't dislike it so much, perhaps. Sure there are always parts of a job that are better/more fun/etc than others, but if you look at it holistically, it starts to make more sense, or at least you can make you peace with it more easily. And yes, many times all those "extra" steps take far more time than the "actual" task at hand. You can "paint" a room in an hour or so, but it might take you 1-2-3 days to check the wall, fill and sand holes, clean any dust off for good adhesion, mask areas that need to be covered and generally get everything ready for a good paint job.

BTW I am amazed your concrete guy said to stain it before framing. That is totally nutso. Imagine that finished floor sitting open to the weather for a couple years, like it would have in your case. Now they will tell you you should wait at least a month for the concrete to reach full cure before staining, but that usually isn't the issue in most jobs as the stain comes later on enough to not matter.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,432  
Thanks guys, I'm excited to check out the area, which I'm sure is simply gorgeous. And likely much more interesting than our mostly flat lands of southeast Michigan. And yeah I always have a DD along if my wife is with me... lol. She had to quit alcohol and re-tool her diet to keep her gut happy. Thanks for the food suggestions s219, though I always have to find gluten-free options for her and my son, too. Hit and miss when you get into rural areas. But we probably fit in pretty well with the trendy lumberjack-chic crowd, haha.

You got me checking out sherando, but I prefer a full hookup. Wife wants me to take rv out in a couple weeks.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#2,433  
For our concrete patio, I plan to have the color mixed in to the concrete. A uniform grey would be nice. Actually white would be nice if there was a way to keep it white. It wouldn’t absorb as much heat in the summer.
We just got home. We started the day by etching and cleaning both bedroom sides of the house. We did the main room last night. It was about 5:20 when we finished the etching today. We hadn’t stopped for lunch earlier in the day so we had our late lunch/ sunday dinner right there, and then we jumped back into it and sprayed the acid stain. We did the whole house. I hope it turned out nice. I have no idea because we were using flashlights and one LED work light for the last hour or so. I sprayed 10 or 12 gallons of acid stain. Jefanna says 10, I think I went thru 12 I didn’t dilute it at all. It went down looking like a yellowish red easter egg color. Hideous. I hope that when I go back tomorrow to check it out, I like the results.

Sunday dinner on the build.
IMG_4484.jpg

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,434  
For our concrete patio, I plan to have the color mixed in to the concrete. A uniform grey would be nice. Actually white would be nice if there was a way to keep it white. It wouldn’t absorb as much heat in the summer.
We just got home. We started the day by etching and cleaning both bedroom sides of the house. We did the main room last night. It was about 5:20 when we finished the etching today. We hadn’t stopped for lunch earlier in the day so we had our late lunch/ sunday dinner right there, and then we jumped back into it and sprayed the acid stain. We did the whole house. I hope it turned out nice. I have no idea because we were using flashlights and one LED work light for the last hour or so. I sprayed 10 or 12 gallons of acid stain. Jefanna says 10, I think I went thru 12 I didn’t dilute it at all. It went down looking like a yellowish red easter egg color. Hideous. I hope that when I go back tomorrow to check it out, I like the results.

Sunday dinner on the build. View attachment 705538

Good picture.

It may not feel like it now, but I’ve come to believe the joy really is in the journey and not necessarily the destination.

MoKelly

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,435  
Hope the color turns out. That was a lot of prep work.

#2,436  
Hope the color turns out. That was a lot of prep work.

Wait till you see how much clean up there is.
When Jefanna told me she wanted to do this , I tried to find a way to talk her out of it. Originally it was polished concrete, That she wanted. We looked at the process and it was insane. The cost to have someone else do it was pretty bad too. So I was hoping we would just clean and seal our floor. But she never let go of the stained floor. And finally, I just decided to do it. She originally wanted grey. And yes, I know that concrete is usually grey. Unfortunately, ours is a bit brown, especially when wet, so with a sealer, it would be brownish. There is no grey acid stain. There are black acid stains, but there are no grey acid stains. A light coating of black acid stain gives more of a jaundiced brown result. So we looked at dye based stain. They don’t produce the look we were after. So back to acid. She chose her color and we are on a mission. The cleanup is a beast. This has been a three hour tour.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,437  
Can't wait for the video! I've been following on you tube (Idaho Joe) more than here. I hope it turns out to be everything she wanted.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,438  
Here is a video from the son of a TBNer (LS Tractor Owner, aka Ted) doing acid stain.

Last edited:
#2,439  
Can't wait for the video! I've been following on you tube (Idaho Joe) more than here. I hope it turns out to be everything she wanted.

Thanks Joe. Much appreciated.

#2,440  
Here is the video from this past weekend. Took some vacation time to work on floors and haven’t had much left for editing.