My First Tractor -and buying experience

/ My First Tractor -and buying experience #31  
I wish my Bobcat dealer would have been remotely interested in the tractor business....I like the look of them better than most and Bobcat seems to stand behind their products, even those made by someone else.

/ My First Tractor -and buying experience #32  
I wish my Bobcat dealer would have been remotely interested in the tractor business....I like the look of them better than most and Bobcat seems to stand behind their products, even those made by someone else.
Mine wasn't either. So what was the point of them entering the tractor market if they were not going to leverage their large dealer network??

/ My First Tractor -and buying experience #33  
The Fort Wayne Bobcat dealer has embraced tractors fully.

But maybe Corporate Bobcat is not as heavy handed as Green or Orange Corporate...........
:unsure:

Last edited:
   / My First Tractor -and buying experience #34  
Interesting read, and I wish you the best with your red tractor. I was in a similar position (looking for a new tractor) about 15 years ago. Mahindra was one that I considered back then, mostly because my dad had a couple friends who had recently acquired dealerships nearby (in upstate NY).

My earliest tractor experience was also with an old John Deere 2 cylinder (model m which was the predecessor of your dad’s 420). For that reason, JD was the first one I looked at.

Back then, in the pre tier 4 days, JD still offered a line of 40-60 hp tractors with American made Powertech engines. That size is just right for our 34 acres. I compared those JD’s with the Asian-powered Kubotas and NH, and smaller Deere’s, and they stacked up favorably.

I ended up going with the JD 4120, mostly because I got a very good deal at the county fair, which matched the price of anything those others could offer, plus it out spec’d them (Kubota GL4330 and NH TD40?) by a bit.

Bonuses were, the American-made power plant, and the fact that the nearest JD dealer is just a few miles away. The Kubota dealer was about a mile farther and the NH nearly 10. That tractor has been so reliable, that my only visits there over the last 15 years has been to pick up oil filters for the 100 hour changes.

I am very happy, after all those years, with my selection. I am not sure how I would have made out with a Mahindra, had I given them a little more consideration. I was scared off when I found out that they were made in India, which seemed a long ways off to depend on for long range parts support. Both of those local dealers has now folded up, but I did buy my first rotary mower from the one closest to my dads place.

What I like best about the JD, is that there is no other make, that I am more certain of being able to have long term parts support. Aside from a battery, front tires, and oil filters, the only part I have needed over the first 15 years and 1500 hours has been a new starter.

/ My First Tractor -and buying experience #35  
Nice tractor. Looks to be about the same size as my first tractor - Ford 1700 4WD. I have my Ford for 27 years and had zero problems.

Do all the required routine maintenance and it should last forever.

Welcome to TBN.
The Mahindra is a bit heavier than a Kubota M7060- at least comparing 4x4 non cabbed base tractor weight 5192lb vs. 5027lb.

Congrats to the OP on the new tractor.

Enjoy the new work horse.👍

Last edited:
   / My First Tractor -and buying experience #36  
Congrats on your first tractor! I just remember how much joy i had when i got my first one. At that time https://lånepenger.no had to give me a loan for this huge purchase but it was absolutely worth it. Since then everything changed and i had 3 more different tractors but first one is always unforgettable.

Last edited:
   / My First Tractor -and buying experience #37  
Welcome to TBN and congrats on your new tractor, and excellent first post! You did your homework, but it was the home work you had early in life that made the difference.

I grew up with JD 420 on the farm many hours plowing, discing, planting and combining - they were small but could do a lot. We upgraded to a 1020 in the late 60's with an FEL.

/ My First Tractor -and buying experience #38  
An old thread but would love to know how the tractor is doing a little over a year later. I recently switched over from a great Kubota L2501. I needed something bigger and the 4540 fits the bill.

/ My First Tractor -and buying experience #39  
Well, I'll be the first descentor, you should have bought a Yanmar! JK, sort of. Congrats! Doesn't matter what others think, unless they want to make your payments for you.

Hope you stick around so we can benefit from the years of experience you have. I did read all the post and it was worth reading and you used paragraphs to separate the big post.

/ My First Tractor -and buying experience #40  
Enjoy working you new tractor and don't
forget the maintenance.
I feel like a grease monkey when I go to
grease the backhoe & fel

willy