My father has fallen and can't get up

/ My father has fallen and can't get up #101  
Mr. FatJay, you've done a lot of work in a fairly tight period.

Hope your Dad is recovering well.

/ My father has fallen and can't get up #102  
Thanks for all the updates. First class job!!!

/ My father has fallen and can't get up
He fell again this morning, going from the walker to the chair. Looks like it wasn't a bad fall, just some bruising. He is doing much better compared to two weeks ago. Thank you for all the well wishes.

Painted, siding, electrical, trim work, rubber roof and anchors, soffit. Hopefully he can come home soon, but I'm not quite ready. As always, more work than I thought it was going to be.

Didn't like the floor heating system I got, so that's going back and going with another system that was recommended by a friend.

And my mothers fridge failed. So she bought a new one, but the shortest one she could get was 68.625", and she has cabinets under the fridge and only 66" clearance. new fridge will be here tomorrow, so I had to take down the cabinets today. Just one more thing on the list.

O8uSFRY.jpg

Sb2A8yf.jpg

L33dbPe.jpg

bDbadXu.jpg

XFGSQWq.jpg

TOReqBO.jpg

2O5nr7a.jpg

Sy6jV1D.jpg

/ My father has fallen and can't get up #104  
He fell again this morning, going from the walker to the chair. Looks like it wasn't a bad fall, just some bruising. He is doing much better compared to two weeks ago. Thank you for all the well wishes.
I wish you and your parents nothing but the best.

However, and I don't mean to be a downer, but I've been in your shoes with my own father (who lived with us for 4 years). I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but from what I've read of your father, at this point, there is no disgrace in actually planning for the worst.

I sincerely hope your father gets to use the remarkable bathroom you've built for him, but you also have to understand that there could be a chance he will never use it.

I always plan for worst case, my nature, so forgive me...

If your father never gets to use his house (or perhaps for a short time), for the time effort and money put into the bathroom, how long will your mother be able to use the house?

My own mom died in 2002. My dad didn't move into with us until 16 years later, and the only reason he did was because he fractured his back and he came to the understanding that he couldn't function by himself anymore in a house that only he lived in.

With your skill set (far better than mine), I'd look to adding onto your own home and have your parents live with you, so your family can help them.

Fatjay, and I mean this with all sincerity, you're a better son than I, so take my honest opinion with a grain of salt.

Here's the interesting part. My parents live the next street over from me and my wife. It's 30 second drive. I could run across the street, through the guys yard, and be in their back yard.

My mother is still in quite good health at 73, and her mother lived to 92. So she will likely be able to get good use of this for quite some time.

My father may not be able to come home to use this bathroom. But without this bathroom, he has no chance of coming home. So at least this makes it possible. Even if he's wheelchair bound, he can eat, sleep, ****, and shower on the first floor when this is done.

Now with 2 kids in college, my wife and I have decided to have 2 more children. My wife is due on the 4th of july. 3 month wait, and boom, she'll be pregnant again. This means I'm gonna need more than the 3 bedroom house we have (i already built the massive 2 story garage that I plan to be able to live on the 2nd floor). I've already drawn up plans to put a 2 story addition on, just make more house. The first level will be 25x25 den, then on top of that I'm extending the 2nd floor hallway to be a new master bedroom and new master bath. So look forward to that in the next 2 years.

I'm doing complete block construction for that one, but instead of wood joists, I'm using the Clark Dietrich TradeReady Floor Joists, which I used for the garage. When I built the garage, the cost of the 35 joists was $3600. My buddy just bought 9 of them for another project, and it cost him $4k. So I need to figure out what I'm going to do about that.

/ My father has fallen and can't get up #107  
Here's the interesting part. My parents live the next street over from me and my wife. It's 30 second drive. I could run across the street, through the guys yard, and be in their back yard.
Not that it matters or you owed it to me, but that makes all the sense in the world now.

My wife never met my mother, but we bought our house with the clear intent to move my dad in with us when he was ready (he was about 75 when we married). He didn't move in with us until about 15 years later, but we were about an 8 hour drive away.

Now were on hold for my wife's mother who is about 76 now.

Wishing your father well and prayers.

Heated floor in. Plenty of trial and error regarding the spacing, I thought I was going to have to much, so I started tight. But then I hit the half way marker on the wire way to early. So rip it up and start again. Overall I think it came out alright.

Did my best to match the stain on the new wall where the windows were. Original was done 30 years ago. It's a little darker, and the grain is a little different, but I think it's close.

WKeBaVG.jpg

FJWDzzd.jpg

BBYEdeL.png

Last edited: