My Dog Died

/ My Dog Died #1  

buickanddeere

Tractor
Deere, several
Our beloved dog Champion died this afternoon age 15-1/2 years. Lisa found him still warm this afternoon in his favourite napping spot out in the sun .
About 5 years ago we noticed he was slowing down then two of the children brought home pups . Poor Champ was so disappointed that he wasn't the one and only . We made sure that he was called first, fed first, petted first, first in or out a door first, always had a place for a truck ride as sometimes the other dogs had to stay at home. Champ started walking proud with renewed energy, vigour and youth , he liked being the Alpha Dog even better than being the only dog.
Poor old fellow didn't have much left for teeth so we fed him softened food. The past few years Champs was barking louder and louder. We realized he was going deaf so he kept upping the volume so he could hear himself .
Champ was good teacher. He used to herd the chicken in and out of the shed or up and down the laneway several times a day.
One day something was different about the chickens being driven in and out of the shed. particularly when Champ was asleep beside me. One of the kid's pet rabbits was herding the birds around like a border collie.
The eldest and his fianc馥 had just dropped in today half an hour prior to Lisa arriving. They had visited on a whim while they were driving in the area to check the renovations and to see Champ. They were the last to see him run about , bark excitedly and expected to be fussed over . It looks like Champ waited for the eldest to visit, Champ said his goodbyes then he laid down and died as the kids drove out the laneway.
We had wondered during the past week or 10 days . Champ was demanding more attention, more truck rides, more cheese treats and more "Champ Burgers" at McDonalds. So glad we did. We knew he was on borrowed time but he was so full of vigour. Fortunatley to his last moment.
I have not felt so sad for a very long time.

Last edited:
   / My Dog Died #2  
Our beloved dog Champion died this afternoon age 15-1/2 years.

My sincere condolences. This is always so hard.

15 1/2 years is amazing-- your dog was there for the long haul. I am sorry for your loss.

/ My Dog Died #3  
I understand your sorrow at the loss of such a dear pet. My cocker spaniel died after fifteen years - just two years. Man - he and I out here in the sticks - so many wonderful adventures together. They may be gone but NEVER forgotten. It is so nice to know that a pet was so deeply loved. You and he were obviously good together.

/ My Dog Died #4  
I feel your sorrow,they sure are missed after being around that long.

Last edited:
   / My Dog Died #5  
Champion sounds like a great dog, with a great life and he was lucky to have had you guys. Condolences from the west coast.

/ My Dog Died #6  
Yes, I know how you feel. It can be as bad as losing a human family member. You have my sympathy.

/ My Dog Died #7  
Hang in there. I know how you feel. It stinks. We all love our pets. They give us companionship, love, and friendship. My deepest condolences.

/ My Dog Died #8  
How sad. Pets (especially dogs for me) truly become a beloved member of the family and it hurts deeply to lose them. So sorry for your loss.

Not that this makes you feel any better, at least he was active and happy up to the time of his death. He died with his boots on, and that's the way I hope I go!

/ My Dog Died #10  
I am so very sorry for your loss. My dog is my beloved, us dog lovers feel great loss and sorrow as our pets pass on. I do not look forward to it. Hopefully champ went on in peace and you can "spend" your love on a new dog that needs you.