My custom pallet forks

/ My custom pallet forks #11  
Hi:
Have you tried lifting all that your 3-point can lift? I made this set of forks (see attachment) for my Yanmar 186D. I'm now getting a JD 4310, and did a stress analysis (I'm an engineer) and found that I will have to gusset the upper rail that the forks hang on. I"m not saying anything is wrong with your forks, just curious what size material the rail is made of.
Mike

Attachments

• 273471-forklift.jpg
    273471-forklift.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 384
   / My custom pallet forks
I went out and measure it because it's been a while since I built it. The angle that the forks hang on is 2inch and must be 3/8 thick. I measure the edge and it measured .385".

I didn't go through all the stress analysis on the rack, but just used my own judgment. I am almost done with my Engineering degree also and I just had Statics last spring, but I already had the rack built by then.

Let me tell you that the forks and rack will handle more than the tractor can. I just got done building a garage to put the tractor in and bricked the front. I went and got the bricks (500 of them) on my trailer. I had to separate them out onto two pallets and place them on the pallets so that most of the bricks were close to the tractor, because it wouldn't lift them all at once. Even then the tractor grunted a little and the hydraulics whinned a bit. The forks and rack didn't budge. The pallet forks have been VERRRRRY useful in building the garage. I've used them on the front a lot. One thing I've never tried yet is digging out a stump with them. I've read on the forums where people have done this succesfully. I've got a few that need to come out, but haven't had much time with school and all. Good luck with the 4310. I love my 4200.

/ My custom pallet forks
MikeON

What is your degree in, Mechanical Engineering I asuume?

/ My custom pallet forks #14  
Yes, it's Mechanical. Penn State. Been designing mining machinery for more years than I care to admit. I have access to finite element software at work, which is great for this sort of thing.

/ My custom pallet forks
Awsome!

One thing I'd love to make for my tractor is a grasscatcher that mounts on the 3ph with a booster blower that is ran from the pto and hydraulic dump. I could probably handle designing and building everything but the blower. I got a buddy that used to work at a place that designed and tested blowers. I guess I need to talk to him about that, huh?

/ My custom pallet forks #16  
You need the book:
"How to Design & Build Centrifugal Fans For the Home Shop" by David Gingery. There's one on ebay right now - item # 2534637830.

Mike