Mulch head changes and WHY?

/ Mulch head changes and WHY? #1  

DirtyWorks

Silver Member
Tractor
ASV RC-100, '07 272c Cat ,Kubota 080 with Cimaf Head, Cat 257 MTL, JD 450c, Kubota 3440 4wd CUT w/ fel
This will be the thread to discuss your likes and dislikes of current production mulching heads and what you would chane if you could. This is to aid in the development of the new head from FMI. Voice your opinion please...

/ Mulch head changes and WHY? #2  
Well, this may or may not directly be aimed at the new head lately spoken of but could be a general mulch head change or question...

Is there a prefered height for the push bar as seated in the cab of your machine? Also,how many of you use the hooks at the ends of the push bar for pulling out material and if so would you say more or less than 50%?

My head (timberax)seems to have a oversized bar and height and I was considering lowering it,losing the rear support braces,and welding the hooks stationary..built like a tank anyway seems overkill on the rear supports and could shed some more weight...

I rarely use the hooks but today I used them ALL DAY and was glad to have...Just noisey as they swing alot...

/ Mulch head changes and WHY?
Scott, I seem to rarely use the push bar to drag material. I do use the "hooks" to grab trees that are hung up in other keeper trees and getting saplings away from fences though. I was wondering what advantage having them swinging would have/ Have also thought about welding mine. The bar on the Ax seems to be way out in front compared to newer carbide heads. Makes it harder to manuver in tight woods. That is one reason I sugested the hydraulic pusher. Could use it at the touch of a button to push and direct trees or to drag brush without having to roll the head so far. I think the reason i do not use mine as much is the fear of getting the hoses caught between the loader arms and pinching them. On the Mag they seem to always be in the way and bunjees don't help much.

/ Mulch head changes and WHY? #4  
I do use the "nubbies" on the ends of the Fecon push bar for hooking material that is hung-up- but other than that the most use the nubbies get is whacking me in the head when I'm standing up from tightening teeth...

don't have much of a preference on bar height...I think the Fecon and my older Gyro-tac are about the same height...

-TMTS

/ Mulch head changes and WHY? #5  
Sometimes I think it wold be nice to have some sort of saw on each side of my Fecon pushbar to limb up with. More than once I have jabbed trees with the pushbar teeth while concentrating on the drum.

/ Mulch head changes and WHY? #6  
This is what I did to my pushbar. I cut the front bar at the sleeve, cut the back bar where the arch attached. Bolt the swing arms onto the back bar, riase them up and put the two together. You will need to cut the round bar from the top sectionand reuse. This made it extremely strong, and shaved atleast 50 lbs. off. But made a extreme difference because it took the weight off at the highest point. Also made it where you could really control trees and keep them inline with the head for mulching.

Attachments

• 000_0116.jpg
    000_0116.jpg
    774.9 KB · Views: 220