Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future.

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future.
For contractors these two machines make a lot of sense since the mini-ex can do a lot of digging quickly and the two machines can often be hauled on the same trailer or on alone on smaller trailers pulled by 250s or maybe 350s versus large trucks. They are very powerful, compact machines that when used in the right applications cannot be beat in their quickness and ability to get the job done.

Personally I would not have a skid steer because whenever it turns it is tearing things up. In a contractors world this is not a problem because they are usually in a compelte tear-up, but as a homeowner it is a mess. I had a guy that baled hay and picked up his bales with a skid steer. After a couple of years of piled up sod where he turned very sharp I changed to a different guy who uses an FEL. The other issue is tipping forward - there have been a lot of deaths on a skidsteer from people trying to lift just a little to much and once it gets up high it tips forward - sometimes it waits until you start to dump ad the load in the bucket shifts a little forward, i.e. inadequate warning. I much prefer my Versatile 150 in that it is a better loader, can move much faster, and does not tear things up. For instance, this fall I moved 80 ton of rock across my lawn to put around my my lake edge with my 150 and you would never know it by the look of the lawn. Now I did it at a dry time of year for minimal damage but when you have a ton of rock on your bucket you need decent size tires to not leave tracks and when turning skid-steer or tracked skid steer does a lot of tearing. My son, who works construction helped me with this project and uses a skid steer daily, never even thought about the difference until I pointed it out after we were done and he said no way could we have done it as fast or as nicely with a skidsteer.

Eddie laid out the mini-ex negatives very well which are similar very good at what they do well but limited in versatility. And yes I would love to have one which is why I rent one sometimes when I have the right job - they are fun to play with.
I learned a lot about the overhead lift with out or little Bobcat 610.

the first time it happened, I was dumping into a dump truck so I caught on the sides and caused no damage or injury. But I rather quickly installed a 4-pt racing harness and wore it religiously.

I also learned the value of tarping materials to keep out water - an overfill bucket of dry soil is not as heavy as an just-under-full bucket of wet soil - and it also empties much better!

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #52  

Attachments

• IMG_6859.JPG
    IMG_6859.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 689

My loader will lift 3000# according to the manual. But using it like this I've increased the reach to 20 ' and the height to 16', but only lift about 200#

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #53  

Attachments

• IMG_6859.JPG
    IMG_6859.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 689

My loader will lift 3000# according to the manual. But using it like this I've increased the reach to 20 ' and the height to 16', but only lift about 200#
Yep, horizontal distance from the FEL hinge and the hook magnifies effort required dramatically. Not to derail the discussion, but here's a few of the things I've lifted with my tractor FEL.

20161024_115726.jpg

20170308_144947 (1280x720).jpg

20160510_151402.jpg

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #54  
Large backhoe like Eddie described can do most things except pulling mowers and implements. And they can be had from 25K or so depending on age and condition. In addition a regular tractor would likely be needed and maybe a zero turn for mowing. A minix used starts at 25 K and goes up from there. A new one 50K plus depending on options.
For a home owner the backhoe makes sense.
For having a more convenient and fun machine go with the excavator. They can be sold likely a few years later for the same money as you paid new for one especially since it will not be an abused machine or former rental
Used excavators with 5000 plus hours can be good value if maintained. Repairs on hydraulics can cost a lot so condition and how it was maintained is important. The ability to make 360 degree swings when needed is great and the small footprint is also good

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #55  
Does she have a sister ?

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future.
   / Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #57  
I learned a lot about the overhead lift with out or little Bobcat 610.

the first time it happened, I was dumping into a dump truck so I caught on the sides and caused no damage or injury. But I rather quickly installed a 4-pt racing harness and wore it religiously.

I also learned the value of tarping materials to keep out water - an overfill bucket of dry soil is not as heavy as an just-under-full bucket of wet soil - and it also empties much better!
And do not dump over things. A guy near me was dumping manure over a fence into a manure spreader and when the wet load moved forward so did the skidsteer and steel post in the fence became a spear with not a good outcome. It happens quick!

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #58  
Another guy I know was picking rock and had the bucket up in the air. Saw something he wanted to pick up and stopped and got off walking under the bucket. His pant leg caught the dump lever and he got an 80# rock on the head. 6 months hospital and permanent brain damage. Consequently no matter how wet, dirty, and ugly that bucket is step in it to get on and off.

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #59  
Another guy I know was picking rock and had the bucket up in the air. Saw something he wanted to pick up and stopped and got off walking under the bucket. His pant leg caught the dump lever and he got an 80# rock on the head. 6 months hospital and permanent brain damage. Consequently no matter how wet, dirty, and ugly that bucket is step in it to get on and off.

That’s a nice use for power quick attach which my skid steer has. If I’m using the grapple or forks both of which are hard to climb over, I can detach them and back up.

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #60  
That’s a nice use for power quick attach which my skid steer has. If I’m using the grapple or forks both of which are hard to climb over, I can detach them and back up.
Saw a guy crinkled in an articulated tractor, I am a big wuss now, I will get the wife to come help before I walk under a raised bucket.

Best,

ed