Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future.

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future.
Another guy I know was picking rock and had the bucket up in the air. Saw something he wanted to pick up and stopped and got off walking under the bucket. His pant leg caught the dump lever and he got an 80# rock on the head. 6 months hospital and permanent brain damage. Consequently no matter how wet, dirty, and ugly that bucket is step in it to get on and off.
I never had cause to walk under a raised bucket on the Bobcat.

The only time I did ANYTHING on the Bobcat with the bucket raised, it was to grease it (a couple fittings were much easier to access with the arms up), and I blocked it with a length of 4x4 before turning off the engine.

I wouldn’t even walk under an empty bucket Without it blocked.

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #62  
.... I will get the wife to come help before I walk under a raised bucket."
Not sure how to take this one Ed.

1) you want to make sure your wife sees the bucket land on your head
2) your wife can hold up the bucket while you are under it safely
3) you figure the two of you can hold the bucket better than one

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #63  
Not sure how to take this one Ed.

1) you want to make sure your wife sees the bucket land on your head
2) your wife can hold up the bucket while you are under it safely
3) you figure the two of you can hold the bucket better than one
I wondered if I left that a little open........... I would respectfully ask her to do what I need to get out of the seat to do, then I would carefully explain the process, then I would yell when she did it wrong, she would cry (this is when she would like to see the bucket fall on my head), and I would apologise..........

We can only stand this a few times a year:)

Best,

ed

Doesn’t this always happen?

right now is a bad time for me to do anything, having just restarted with my seasonal job, which runs into mid April.

last night, on CL, a 1989 Kato450 shows up for $10G. About 50 miles away.

I haven’t shown it to Mrs yet, because I would

A) have to come up with the sum right quick (possible but a bit of a juggle), and

B) I would need to get an experienced heavy equipment mechanic to give it a once-over-lightly and a 👍/👎.

Discussionnfor over the weekend.

It does have a second set of tracks, but the windshield is long gone, and the seat needs at least three rolls of duct tape. . .

Hour meter is non-functional. . .
and who knows what other sins.

BUT if it is usable and (more importantly) reasonably reliable, that would be a VERY capable machine for a dilettante hobbyist!

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #65  
Be sure you can find parts for it. Hoses are easy to have made and cylinders can be rebuilt, but where will you get a starter, or water pump, or anything that wears out? Something that old can be very hard to repair.

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #66  
If I need one, I rent from Black Swamp and they deliver.

/ Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #67  
Doesn’t this always happen?

right now is a bad time for me to do anything, having just restarted with my seasonal job, which runs into mid April.

last night, on CL, a 1989 Kato450 shows up for $10G. About 50 miles away.

I haven’t shown it to Mrs yet, because I would

A) have to come up with the sum right quick (possible but a bit of a juggle), and

B) I would need to get an experienced heavy equipment mechanic to give it a once-over-lightly and a 👍/👎.

Discussionnfor over the weekend.

It does have a second set of tracks, but the windshield is long gone, and the seat needs at least three rolls of duct tape. . .

Hour meter is non-functional. . .
and who knows what other sins.

BUT if it is usable and (more importantly) reasonably reliable, that would be a VERY capable machine for a dilettante hobbyist!
A Bit bigger than a Mini ex at 25000+ lb. Moving it will cost some coin as well. Almost into a 312 CAT size of machine. Should be able to do some real work and quickly.
easily cover the tasks:
-log transport/loading with sawmill
-stump removal
-drainage ditch maintenance
-road maintenance
-construction/overhead lifting
-brush pile burning

The engine number looks like possibly a Mitsubishi but maybe not.

Agree with Eddie about checking out parts availability

Also be interesting as to which boom dipper set up it has as well at least three combos were available.

Having it checked out by someone knowing what to look for is also a real good idea as posted earlier.

Last edited:
   / Mrs. Suggested that we might consider a Mini-Excavator in our future. #68  
For 10 grand, it's most likely flogged hard. You have the tools and expertise to restore it?

Be sure you can find parts for it. Hoses are easy to have made and cylinders can be rebuilt, but where will you get a starter, or water pump, or anything that wears out? Something that old can be very hard to repair.
From the Kato website, that model is still in production. I am sure there are updates, though

1989 had a mitsubishi diesel.

but yes, and that is why I want to hire a mechanic to evaluate it.

For 10 grand, it's most likely flogged hard. You have the tools and expertise to restore it?
I have some heavy tools, I owned a 1981 Bobcat 610 for 7 years, and I ain’t afraid of learning more.

I am sure it is tired, rode hard & put away wet, beaten like a rented mule, etc.

But if it is basically usable, I could care less about cosmetics.

But I am still up against the temporal/pecuniary issues, so this is probably just a pipe dream. . .

Last edited: