Mowing round pond - best way?

/ Mowing round pond - best way? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
i have a pond and i use a walk-behind brush mower; that can only get so close. then i use a weed wacker with a three point blade. i'll do this about every 4-8 weeks. BUT once i start the weed wacking my lower back starts screaming (hurting) at me.

what is the best way to trim around a pond? i have a tractor should i invest in a sickle mower?

/ Mowing round pond - best way? #2  
I'll be interested in the replies you get.

I've got the same situation. I've thought about a sickle-bar mower, but it's hard to justify. I believe, one year I sprayed it with Round-up. This year I weed whacked it, until the yellow jackets got me. So, it's "nearly done".

I've thought about hanging an old lawn mower on the side of the ZTR, to reach out over.

To save your back .. some .., you might get a weed whacker with a harness, which takes some of the stress off your back.

/ Mowing round pond - best way? #3  
what is the best way to trim around a pond? i have a tractor should i invest in a sickle mower?

A sickle mower would work if the blade is longer enough. You would want to be very careful with a tractor around a pond. Always keep the wheels off the slope. Another possibility is a boom mower but they are expensive and you need a fairly large tractor. Would a goat be feasible where you live? They will eat ANYTHING and they produce gas instead of consume it.

/ Mowing round pond - best way? #4  
I'd push the mower down to the water and pull it back, and leave the last few inches. Or a neighbor hood kid with a strong back, OR the local Boy Scout troop may have someone that needs to earn a badge.

/ Mowing round pond - best way? #5  
   / Mowing round pond - best way? #6  
My finish mower hangs on my 3ph, and I just back up until the rear wheels of the mower deck drop into the pond, and just pull forward. Takes a while doing it 5 feet at a time.

/ Mowing round pond - best way? #7  
We have a similar situation around our pond. I let my teenage son weedeat it. I have sprayed a half normal strength solution of roundup to stunt the vegetation. On the smooth slope going to the water we can use the zero turn mower to back down and mow up the slope. To get real close to the water we tie a strap to the zero turn and back down just to the edge the other end is tied to our mule just in case. It takes teamwork but the last solution looks the best and only takes a few minutes.

/ Mowing round pond - best way? #8  
There is always someone that wants to fish your pond. Keep the banks trimmed and you can fish. :D

/ Mowing round pond - best way? #9  
this is how i cut the edge of a pond but, i know its kinda expensive unless you can get payed to use it.

Attachments

• 100_2369.jpg
    100_2369.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 836
   / Mowing round pond - best way? #10  
I use a " ditch mower" which consists of an old Craftsman 21" push mower with the large rear wheels and a second set of handles welded to it, this allows me to have almost 10' of reach. I got the idea when an old guy up the street asked me to build one for him to do his ditches.