Mowers: Front vs Z Fastest?

/ Mowers: Front vs Z Fastest? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
Given the same size deck, which mower do you think is faster. a front mower say a JD 72" or a JD Z mower??

/ Mowers: Front vs Z Fastest? #2  
The z mower will be much faster. Not because of speed, because it can turn around faster, is more manuverable, and would do less damage to the lawn.

/ Mowers: Front vs Z Fastest? #3  
I think it will depend on the terrain. I had a gravely z and now a grasshopper front mount. The grasshopper works better for my application. I can get the front mount under trees (less weed wacking), plus the longer wheel base equals a smother ride, so you can go faster. Another benefit is the pucker factor is much less with a front mount on hills, so I can mow more of the hill and weed wack less.
Now if you had a smooth soccer field or football field with no hills or trees to get under, the z might be faster.
Dave

Last edited:
   / Mowers: Front vs Z Fastest? #4  
Dave, is your 720 diesel? if so how do you like it?if my thinking is correct it's a kubota engine. russ

/ Mowers: Front vs Z Fastest? #6  
No, it is not a diesel. I wish I had the diesel, but the kohler seems to work pretty well. I LOVE the mower. When I was shopping for the grasshopper, I did check out a couple of used diesels (my price range was 5k or less). I this price range, the diesel units all had 1500 to 2500 hours, I have no doubt that the diesel motor was fine, but I was worried about the rest of the unit. I purchased my mower for $3500 maybe $3800, it is a 52" with the powervac hopper. It had about 350 hours on it, was used for residential use and not commercial.
I really believe that if you do not have to transport your mower everywhere, a front mount has many advantages, but the pro's do not like them because they do take up more room on the trailer.
Dave

/ Mowers: Front vs Z Fastest? #7  
Btw, even if your mower has a great ride, you might think about one of these seats:
Michigan Seat Highback Suspension Seat, Model# V-5300 | Seats | Northern Tool + Equipment
These michigan seats are great, my wife bought me one for my b-day and it really helped. I mow around 4 acres and have taken out numerous trees (which I stump ground). The stump grinding, is quick and easy, but leaves me having to fill in low spots as the stumps rot. Every year spring I fill in the low spots, but by the end of mowing season they start to get pretty bad again, and this seats helps a lot.
The michigan seats, I believe are used on some makes from the factory, it was supper easy to install, no drilling, all the holes lined up, and there is the safety switch built into the seat.
Dave

/ Mowers: Front vs Z Fastest? #8  
Btw, even if your mower has a great ride, you might think about one of these seats:
Michigan Seat Highback Suspension Seat, Model# V-5300 | Seats | Northern Tool + Equipment
These michigan seats are great, my wife bought me one for my b-day and it really helped. I mow around 4 acres and have taken out numerous trees (which I stump ground). The stump grinding, is quick and easy, but leaves me having to fill in low spots as the stumps rot. Every year spring I fill in the low spots, but by the end of mowing season they start to get pretty bad again, and this seats helps a lot.
The michigan seats, I believe are used on some makes from the factory, it was supper easy to install, no drilling, all the holes lined up, and there is the safety switch built into the seat.
Dave
Gravely uses them on their commercial line of equipment. Only thing that could ride better is an air ride seat from Bolstrom.;)

/ Mowers: Front vs Z Fastest? #9  
I think it depends on your landscaping. I have a z turn and a front mower. With a Z turn I find myself turning around a lot and that means going over grass that's already been cut. With my front mower, its always moving in a pattern that goes over uncut grass. For me, the front mower is faster and the ride is better. Front is a diesel and the z-turn is gas. 2:1 fuel reduction (gallons) with the front mower for the same job (both 22 hp).