Most powerful ZTR mower?

/ Most powerful ZTR mower? #1  

MultiMow

Gold Member
Tractor
Toro 325-D 4WD
I've been comparing ZTR power units, and thought I'd see if anyone knew of any higher horsepower units than what I've found.... new, or old.

So far...

Highest horsepower diesel:

Yazoo Kees - 38hp Kubota (turbo)

Highest horesepower diesel (non-turbo):

Multiple mfg - 35hp Caterpillar/Perkins

Both the above are pre-Tier 4 Final engines.

Current (Tier 4 Final):

John Deere 997 Diesel - 37+hp (Perkins or Yanmar?)

Noteworthy:

KutKwick Brushmaster and Mega SlopeMaster - 83hp Yanmar

KutKwick Super SlopeMaster - 38hp Yanmar

Gasoline engines:

Kohler and Kawasaki both have 37hp V-twins in several mfg models.

What have I missed?

It would be cool if we could keep this thread going with various other superlatives, such as deck width, most powerful with independent transaxle, etc.

Right now, the most powerful single axle model I've found, is Kubota's one ton monster 1500 series diesel, with 31+hp.

/ Most powerful ZTR mower? #2  
Why do you need the highest hp mower in existence? The Kubota shaft driven double V belts are the setup I've found that can actually use all available power. Most of the other ZTRs use a single V belt to drive the deck which can't hold the available power of a usually 25 hp motor.

/ Most powerful ZTR mower? #3  
Why do you need the highest hp mower in existence? The Kubota shaft driven double V belts are the setup I've found that can actually use all available power. Most of the other ZTRs use a single V belt to drive the deck which can't hold the available power of a usually 25 hp motor.
Can't say I agree.
I have a 35 HP (Kawasaki engine, Hustler Super Z, 72" deck) on my zero turn with the single V belt deck.
I can mow at speeds until the engine is straining for power and never slip the belt from my experience.
Never noticed any belt slippage. Never.
The thing will mow my 8 acre yard in 2 hours.

/ Most powerful ZTR mower?
It's not a need... more of a curiosity.

I agree on the Kubota power transmission. The 331 and new 1500 series successors have the most efficient powertrains on the market, when it comes to sheer transfer efficiency. Their integrated single axle is fine piece of engineering. The only trade-off is weight.

Looking into the proverbial "crystal ball", I'd say Kubota has far more plans for that architecture than just zero turn mowers... which is what sparked my interest altogether.

I just thought it was an interesting topic for comparison... and apparently, so do the manufacturers, considering that it's pretty tied for 1st place with cutting width, in terms of priority specs, sales, and marketing.

/ Most powerful ZTR mower? #5  
My Ferris has a humble 26hp gas engine. it also has an air seat and full suspension. It's like riding around a comfortable ATV that mows. Top speed is 12 mph.

/ Most powerful ZTR mower? #6  
I don't think the new Vanguard 37hp EFI engine has been mentioned. That one would be my choice if I was picking a gasoline engine in a mower and needed all the power I could get.

/ Most powerful ZTR mower?
I don't think the new Vanguard 37hp EFI engine has been mentioned. That one would be my choice if I was picking a gasoline engine in a mower and needed all the power I could get.
You're right, I forgot that one.

The new version with dry sump lubrication and 500hr service interval is a sweet unit. All lube service points are remote mounted, too... so no more fighting with drain plug locations and oil spilling into places it shouldn't be (belts, etc.).

Thanks Paps!

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Large Pallet of Mixed Beam Trolleys (A33349)
Large Pallet of...
Ford F250 Engine (A33041)
Ford F250 Engine...
2008 Ford F-350 King Ranch Crew Cab Dually 6.4 Diesel, V-8 Power Stroke, Pa (A33349)
2008 Ford F-350...
1966 Plymouth Satellite Convertable (A33544)
1966 Plymouth...
Blade (A33041)
Blade (A33041)
EB4401 RedMax Blower (A33719)
EB4401 RedMax...