More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #31  
Kubota appears to lose 8 or 12 depends on what standard you are comparing. Pretty much all the manufacturer's use the J1995 std so that would be how I would compare to keep it apples to apples.

PTO is what we all look at not the gross numbers as this is where work gets done. So get the most PTO HP you can.

The Kubota MX appears to be a cheaper model than the Grand L, is that about right? Same power less of bells and whistles?
The spec sheet on the MX6000 is 63.4 gross hp and 51.8 pto hp using the SAE j1995 rating.

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #32  
There isn’t really an MX comparison for LS, because the MT3 and 4 series is like the difference between a Kubota Grand L series to the M series. But a similar comparison of a Kubota L6060 to the MT357 is at least $10k more.

The MT468 is more like a Kubota M7060, and comes in slightly cheaper than your MX, with more features than the stock M7060.

Last edited:
   / More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #34  
Well that’s just cheap. I shouldn’t complain though, because I don’t even use the 2 I have!

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor
It's been over 6 months with the MT357HC so I have a few notes as I became more familiar with the tractor. Before I bought it I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I needed and good some good advice from a lot of the members on the forum. Thanks again.

1) R4 Tires. I'm sure they work well in a lot of instances but I don't think I would get them again. Very rough ride and not that great of traction when going up hills. I've also had the rear slide around in muddy conditions but it wasn't too big of a deal if I had 4WD engaged. I recently was trying to mow a pasture that has a lot of rolling hills but nothing the JD 2020 2WD tractor had any problems with. When going up one particular hill the right rear started spinning so I thought put it into 4WD to see what that does. Left front and right rear now spinning on dry grass going up a hill. The differential lock in the rear was the ticket but I never thought to expect to have to use it under those conditions. I actually cut slower with the MT3 than the JD due to the rough ride. I'm going to drop the air pressures some to see what that does.
2) 3pt - The link arms on this tractor are relatively short compared to an ag tractor. When I tried to hook up the mower I couldn't use the same pin setup on the mower that I did with the JD since the mower would hit the tires. I moved the pins to the inside and that helped enough to use it but still can't use the full travel up on the 3 pt due to the mower getting close to the tires. Might look into the Pat's Hitch setup to get more setback. I also noticed with the wood chipper I bought was tighter to the tractor than I would like but it wasn't the problem the mower was. I also self inflicted some damage on the right stabilizer link to the link arm. In the past I sometimes back into some brush along the edge of the field to knock it down. Worked great on the JD with no issues. On the LS, and probably because it doesn't lift as high, the bush hog got deflected to the right and the stabilizer arm folded at the last pin hole. Probably a good thing since that probably saves other parts from damage. I was able to straighten it out and reuse. I do back up over the brush with the mower fully raised and then drop the mower on top of the brush slowly and drive out. I think with the LS lift limit it didn't get high enough on the brush and ended up in the stiffer part of the trunk. Just to be clear this brush is less that 1" thick. Maybe I had the side to side swing a little too tight but I couldn't let it move too much due to tire clearance. Lesson learned. Not sure if this is normal for LS but there is a lot of dead travel in the controls before the 3 pt moves. Don't use much lever travel for the full motion of the 3pt.
3) Cab - I started a whole thread on this subject since I have never used a cab tractor before. I don't regret having the cab but if I were to buy another tractor with my usage I don't think I would get another one. It was super nice when I was mowing in 85F temps with the AC and not have the dust and bug issues. If I did that on a regular basis or use it frequently in the winter, no question, the cab is the way to go. It definitely knocks down the noise too. There is the regular cleaning of the glass and glare issues but that is just like regular maintenance. It is more of a hassle if you are getting on and off the tractor frequently. I have read about the glass breakage issues for no reason on this forum so I'm extra careful around trees or when opening an closing the doors and windows. Visibility is pretty good with the cab so that's not an issue. To each his own.
4) Tire track width - I'd like to see the ability to widen out the track somewhat. For some reason I don't feel as secure on sidehills with the LS that I have no problem with on the JD. Don't know if it is just the track width or because the CG is higher.
5) Control layouts - The only ones I have problems with are the 3pt and remotes. Why they put them so far aft of the driver is beyond me. Absolutely love the external lever on the back of the tractor to run the 3pt and the moveable ball ends on the link arms. Makes it a lot easier to hook up.
6) Engine is a nice runner and I've been seeing regens about every 15.5 hrs. It seems to know when I'm finished with the job at hand since that is when it wants to regen. No drivelines issues so I'm satisfied with everything on that front. The hydraulics on this tractor are smooth but it could use more capacity since I can't do things like raise and curl the bucket at the same time.
7) Overall, I'm satisfied with the LS MT357HC but it has a few things that I would change for my intended usage. YMMV.

Pete

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #36  
Are your tires filled?
That JD I have in the picture with my new MT573 used to belong to my friend. He bought it new and his tires were not filled at first. After a few close calls he talked to dealer he bought it from and they took it back and filled the tires.
Now, I bought it from him, and I can't imagine how he was using it without the tires filled. I have on a number of occasions had one of the back tires off the ground.

Yep, both tires filled with beet juice. Tried to measure tire pressure with the schrader valve at 3 o'clock. All that came out was the syrupy mix. I'm envious of the MT5. Does it have an adjustable tire stance width on the rear? Seems to be a tall tractor so I wonder how that feels on side hills.

Not sure. Dealer told me when I bought it that it was not possible but not sure how informed they are.

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #40  
It's been over 6 months with the MT357HC so I have a few notes as I became more familiar with the tractor. Before I bought it I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I needed and good some good advice from a lot of the members on the forum. Thanks again.

1) R4 Tires. I'm sure they work well in a lot of instances but I don't think I would get them again. Very rough ride and not that great of traction when going up hills. I've also had the rear slide around in muddy conditions but it wasn't too big of a deal if I had 4WD engaged. I recently was trying to mow a pasture that has a lot of rolling hills but nothing the JD 2020 2WD tractor had any problems with. When going up one particular hill the right rear started spinning so I thought put it into 4WD to see what that does. Left front and right rear now spinning on dry grass going up a hill. The differential lock in the rear was the ticket but I never thought to expect to have to use it under those conditions. I actually cut slower with the MT3 than the JD due to the rough ride. I'm going to drop the air pressures some to see what that does.
2) 3pt - The link arms on this tractor are relatively short compared to an ag tractor. When I tried to hook up the mower I couldn't use the same pin setup on the mower that I did with the JD since the mower would hit the tires. I moved the pins to the inside and that helped enough to use it but still can't use the full travel up on the 3 pt due to the mower getting close to the tires. Might look into the Pat's Hitch setup to get more setback. I also noticed with the wood chipper I bought was tighter to the tractor than I would like but it wasn't the problem the mower was. I also self inflicted some damage on the right stabilizer link to the link arm. In the past I sometimes back into some brush along the edge of the field to knock it down. Worked great on the JD with no issues. On the LS, and probably because it doesn't lift as high, the bush hog got deflected to the right and the stabilizer arm folded at the last pin hole. Probably a good thing since that probably saves other parts from damage. I was able to straighten it out and reuse. I do back up over the brush with the mower fully raised and then drop the mower on top of the brush slowly and drive out. I think with the LS lift limit it didn't get high enough on the brush and ended up in the stiffer part of the trunk. Just to be clear this brush is less that 1" thick. Maybe I had the side to side swing a little too tight but I couldn't let it move too much due to tire clearance. Lesson learned. Not sure if this is normal for LS but there is a lot of dead travel in the controls before the 3 pt moves. Don't use much lever travel for the full motion of the 3pt.
3) Cab - I started a whole thread on this subject since I have never used a cab tractor before. I don't regret having the cab but if I were to buy another tractor with my usage I don't think I would get another one. It was super nice when I was mowing in 85F temps with the AC and not have the dust and bug issues. If I did that on a regular basis or use it frequently in the winter, no question, the cab is the way to go. It definitely knocks down the noise too. There is the regular cleaning of the glass and glare issues but that is just like regular maintenance. It is more of a hassle if you are getting on and off the tractor frequently. I have read about the glass breakage issues for no reason on this forum so I'm extra careful around trees or when opening an closing the doors and windows. Visibility is pretty good with the cab so that's not an issue. To each his own.
4) Tire track width - I'd like to see the ability to widen out the track somewhat. For some reason I don't feel as secure on sidehills with the LS that I have no problem with on the JD. Don't know if it is just the track width or because the CG is higher.
5) Control layouts - The only ones I have problems with are the 3pt and remotes. Why they put them so far aft of the driver is beyond me. Absolutely love the external lever on the back of the tractor to run the 3pt and the moveable ball ends on the link arms. Makes it a lot easier to hook up.
6) Engine is a nice runner and I've been seeing regens about every 15.5 hrs. It seems to know when I'm finished with the job at hand since that is when it wants to regen. No drivelines issues so I'm satisfied with everything on that front. The hydraulics on this tractor are smooth but it could use more capacity since I can't do things like raise and curl the bucket at the same time.
7) Overall, I'm satisfied with the LS MT357HC but it has a few things that I would change for my intended usage. YMMV.

Pete
R4 tires are a little stiffer sidewall, but shouldn’t ride as rough as you describe. Reduce the air pressure. On your lift arms, most tractors have two or more holes to adjust lift height: the bottom hole provides maximum lift. Also the top link should have more than one attachment point on the tractor and those also adjust lift height.