More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #11  
No. LS and TYM are totally separate companies.

You need to do some research.
Well, I guess I was mistaken. Thanks for pointing out. That is why I said "I think." Good to know - It was spin off of LG Group in 2003 now under parent Mtron.

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #12  
Village Tractor. I stopped by the one in Appleton. They had a cab version of the 42hp HST that I drove. Didn't get a quote on that one but a ROPS 57hp model was about the same money as you quoted and with the same deal on tires and delivery. Didn't try to haggle - not sure if that is even a thing anymore with the tight supply chain. The store in Appleton is pretty much a sales outlet. I don't think they have enough business in the city to justify a mechanic but they have that capability in the stores north of there. I live about an hour south so that has become one of my biggest concerns. I don't want to drive another hour north to the other stores if the one in Appleton closes.
I used to live < 5 min. away from Village Tractor in Sobieski. They recently upgraded their facility. I bought one of their first XJ2025H tractors at their newly rented Suamico location - before they moved to Sobieski. They wanted $50 to trailer my Tractor a few miles so they could then charge a more than significant fee for the 50 hour service. BTW My recent quote was from their Sobieski location.

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor
I have the MT357HC and tractor wise I haven't really found a weak point. Engine and PTO power hasn't been an issue.

I'd ask that you look at the brands again because LS doesn't lose more engine to PTO power than the others. They seem to be in line with the other manufacturer's. JD and Massey lose about 14hp and LS is about 12hp.

Ground clearance is always going to be the rear axle. Tough to get around that without taller tires. Certainly haven't run into an issue with ground clearance.

Really look at rear drawbar and PTO distancing as some don't use the standard dimensions. Kubota is one that comes to mind. This can limit PTO drawbar pulled implements. LS meets the standard.

LS uses a 1.9L 3 cylinder diesel and others use a 2.1-2.3L (roughly) 4 cylinder diesel. Displacement wise it's a decent sized engine. The 4 cylinders of Kubota, JD, and Massey will have more torque, smoother running, and should cost more due to the size and added balance shafts. The LS 3 cylinder is capable of easily doubling it's hp numbers as you can find 1.5-1.6L diesels making over 100hp reliably.

Edit:

Couple things I wish was better was loader lift height, center console and steering wheel sit to low.

Mine listed for about $35-36k. A comparable JD 4066R is $59.5k. Now folks will pay less than list but you cannot make up that difference.
I've pretty much done the comparison between the Kubota MX6000, Branson 5520H and the LS MT357H. It seems the Kubota is a little better in engine to PTO hp loss coming in around 8 hp. The Branson is comparable with the LS at 11hp loss. Not much difference so probably not a big deal. In regards to ground clearance, on the LS I was referring to the the lower beams of the FEL structure that goes to the rear axle. Probably around a foot of clearance but on the positive side it does protect some hydraulic lines from damage. The Kubota seems to be the best in that regard. I'm used to 2WD farm tractors with lots of clearance. Just wondering if those beams snag on branches and other items when going through uncleared areas. I was surprised on how smooth the LS engine was. I know when I tested the Branson (4 cyl) I noticed quite a bit of vibration throughout the chassis. Can't remember one way or the other on the Kubota.
I did note that the loader on the LS doesn't lift as high as the others (almost 10" lower). I'm not sure if that is a problem or not. Even though I have tested all 3 a lot of the comparison is on the spec charts. That's why there's value in the experiences of others like yours. Interesting info on the drawbar/PTO setup. Thanks.

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #14  
Kubota appears to lose 8 or 12 depends on what standard you are comparing. Pretty much all the manufacturer's use the J1995 std so that would be how I would compare to keep it apples to apples.

PTO is what we all look at not the gross numbers as this is where work gets done. So get the most PTO HP you can.

The Kubota MX appears to be a cheaper model than the Grand L, is that about right? Same power less of bells and whistles?

Yeah, the MX6000 is the classified the "economy" model in that hp node but it doesn't seem that way when you drive it. If you like a lot of electronic controls the Grand L series is the choice in Kubota's line. Not for me. The Branson line seems to go to the other end of the spectrum with a more mechanical approach to most systems. Still a really nice option. From what I have experienced the LS gets you closer to the Kubota MX for a lot less $$. I'm not sure which I would choose if they were the same price but I seemed to have become more interested in the LS. I agree about the PTO hp is important which is why I'm looking in this size tractor. If you need more, the gear versions definitely have more. I'm thinking the MT357 should be enough for my purposes.

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #16  
I have the XR series, its the father to the MT3. Not much difference, LS just added a few features I wish my tractor had. I can tell you that the difference in the HP between PTO and engine is likely something you wont even notice. If your running properly sized implements properly, you wont lug the engine. I've hooked up to some serious implements and ran them just fine. I just ordered a snow blower, 7ft wide, that I'm sure my tractor will handle with ease. I hooked up to a large flail cutter this last spring. One of the hydraulic ones, to see if I could use it to chip some stumps, sticks, and other nasty crap on my property. The guy I borrowed it from told me it needs 50hp at the PTO. My engine is only 45. But I used it anyway. Didn't lug the engine at all. Though, it did do a great job, I cannot afford one of my own. And I would suggest using a stump grinder vs a flail mower for stumps!

This thing is a tank!

The ground clearance issue: yeah, I was concerned with that as well. So concerned that when I installed a new sub-frame mount for my backhoe, I lowered those arms by about 3 inches! Now I really scrape the ground! But, like you said, they help to protect the lines, trans-axle, etc under there. It's also a great place to make a skid plate attach, if you're so inclined. I pretty much go logging with with my tractor, on steep hill sides in the forest. Only issue I had was a stick came up and poked a small hole in my fuel line. Easy fix. I still haven't added a skid plate. Maybe I should do so that soon, knock on wood. But seriously, the ground clearance is not an issue. If you're looking to be driving over stumps and rocks and things, then maybe. But you should try to drive around them.

Branson makes a solid tractor. When speaking with my dealer, who is an LS/Branson/Massy dealer, he likes the Branson's over the rest of them. Just for their simplicity. There is no, or not much, computer 'junk' on those tractors. But I came to the same conclusion as you, they are mechanical and because of that, rough. Simple and easy to work on, but limited in features. LS seemed to fit the bill, for me, well. Comfortable, powerful, loaded with features that are standard, with an inexpensive price tag.

The only thing I'd ever buy a Kubota for, is their resale value. There resale value, like the other big brands, hold well. But is it a wash? I mean, if you buy a Kubota for $60K, sell it for $40K in 5 years. Or buy an LS for $40K and sell it for $20K in five years, are you really gaining anything? (*prices are for demonstration purposes only, not based on actual tractor value or resale value* 😁) I do not believe that Kubota, John Deere, New Holland, etc are any better or worse than LS. In fact, LS makes tractors for New Holland sooo....

One thing to consider with the other bigger brands is their dealer network. There have been some issues with LS dealers, parts, corporate, etc. But I've never personally experienced them. My interactions with LS have been solid.

In all, get what you believe will work best for you and your budget.

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #17  
Village Tractor. I stopped by the one in Appleton. They had a cab version of the 42hp HST that I drove. Didn't get a quote on that one but a ROPS 57hp model was about the same money as you quoted and with the same deal on tires and delivery. Didn't try to haggle - not sure if that is even a thing anymore with the tight supply chain. The store in Appleton is pretty much a sales outlet. I don't think they have enough business in the city to justify a mechanic but they have that capability in the stores north of there. I live about an hour south so that has become one of my biggest concerns. I don't want to drive another hour north to the other stores if the one in Appleton closes.

If you care about dealer support be very careful with LS, TYM, RK and other smaller dealer stores.

I also demoed a LS, and really liked the handling of the machine. What got me was 2 things. First, I could not get the seat/steering adjustment to a comfortable place to allow easy pedal engagement. Thats a personal thing, but I am sure it could have been worked around. Most importantly, the dealer in Fort Collins that sells LS also sells Kioti, TYM, and some used cars. For me that was a deal breaker. Service, parts support, longevity all come into question. I have great long standing Kubota, Deere, and Massey dealers in my area so those were on my short list. Dealer support is important to me. This is frustrating, I do wish some of the other brands were more well established in my area.

Last edited:
   / More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #18  
Good thought with the warning, but LS and RK shouldn’t even be uttered in the same sentence when discussing dealer support. Totally different worlds. LS won the EDA Dealers Choice Award five years in a row (until 2020, when Branson took it). In 2020, they still took Gold level, so they’ve had high marks for 6 straight years. TYM/RK got one in 2018 for most improved dealer, but nothing rising to the level of LS.

/ More impressed with LS MT3 series tractor #19  
I purchased at MT3-52HC back in Feb. To date I have about 90 hours on it. Running brush hog, fail mower, stump grinder ,box blade, land plane and a grapple hook on it. It has performed really well. I had a few issues that were covered under warranty and the dealer was quick to jump on it and fix those issues.

I compared Kubota, Deere, LS and Mahindra. I bought mine based on features, functions, price and dealer support. In my opinion there are a lot of good brands on the market these days, some more popular than others. Having a dealer that has been selling and servicing LS for many years really tipped the decision for me.

I purchased at MT3-52HC back in Feb. To date I have about 90 hours on it. Running brush hog, fail mower, stump grinder ,box blade, land plane and a grapple hook on it. It has performed really well. I had a few issues that were covered under warranty and the dealer was quick to jump on it and fix those issues.

I compared Kubota, Deere, LS and Mahindra. I bought mine based on features, functions, price and dealer support. In my opinion there are a lot of good brands on the market these days, some more popular than others. Having a dealer that has been selling and servicing LS for many years really tipped the decision for me.
For me it is starting to come down to dealer support. In my area (and I live out in the country in a farming area) the lesser known brands are relatively far away from me except for a Branson dealer (I've got a JD and NH dealer within 15miles). The Branson dealer in my area really spoke highly of the brand which peaked my interest early this year. He even mentioned about how he wished he got on the Branson bandwagon 10 years ago. Fast forward to now - hasn't received a new Branson since March and is worried about staying in business. Wonder if Branson will win the Dealer's choice award this year? I did find another Branson dealer over an hour away that also is happy with the Branson line - when he can get them. This seems to be the story across all brands including the big players. Don't know where all the tractors are going that they are building but it isn't around my area. Maybe they are floating around in the container ships that they can't unload. Also shopping the LS brand with similar results. Kubota dealers seem to be in a little better inventory shape. Might have to wait until next year for a purchase. Good thing I have my 50 year old JD 2020.