MItsubishi D1800 miss and white smoke

/ MItsubishi D1800 miss and white smoke #1  

Ster1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi
Hi folks,
I have a grey market Mitsubishi D1800 (II) with a KE95 engine. I haven't checked compression yet, but it starts right up and runs just fine, up to about 1700-1800 rpm, where it starts to bog and spit white smoke. Both cylinders doing it. When I bring it back down to about 1500 rpm, all is well. Idles all the way down to 500 rpm. Starts quickly and runs great, up to that point, and it'll run all day like that. I pushed it once just to see if I can get past a "bad spot" and nothing changes, but I throttle it back to around 1500, and she just hums. I just replaced the head and gasket (new valve job) a week or so ago, re-torqued just today. Injectors both crack at about 1600-1700 psi and give a nice chatter and mist. No leaks, no change with / without air filter, just did the overhead at .013... I'm kinda stumped. Normally I'd say new injectors, but these look perfect. Any thoughts?

/ MItsubishi D1800 miss and white smoke #2  
Hi folks,
I have a grey market Mitsubishi D1800 (II) with a KE95 engine. I haven't checked compression yet, but it starts right up and runs just fine, up to about 1700-1800 rpm, where it starts to bog and spit white smoke. Both cylinders doing it. When I bring it back down to about 1500 rpm, all is well. Idles all the way down to 500 rpm. Starts quickly and runs great, up to that point, and it'll run all day like that. I pushed it once just to see if I can get past a "bad spot" and nothing changes, but I throttle it back to around 1500, and she just hums. I just replaced the head and gasket (new valve job) a week or so ago, re-torqued just today. Injectors both crack at about 1600-1700 psi and give a nice chatter and mist. No leaks, no change with / without air filter, just did the overhead at .013... I'm kinda stumped. Normally I'd say new injectors, but these look perfect. Any thoughts?

Seems like lack of fuel. Have you checked tank, fuel lines, fuel filter, lift pump (if so equipped)?? Just to start with.

/ MItsubishi D1800 miss and white smoke
Seems like lack of fuel. Have you checked tank, fuel lines, fuel filter, lift pump (if so equipped)?? Just to start with.
Fair question! It has a pretty simple gravity feed system. I did run it with an aux tank though, and no change.

/ MItsubishi D1800 miss and white smoke #4  
Fair question! It has a pretty simple gravity feed system. I did run it with an aux tank though, and no change.

If the fuel line is providing plenty of fuel and the injectors are good and there are no leaks then I would start to suspect the injection pump? White smoke and not being able to run higher rpm is usually an indication that a diesel is running lean or starving of fuel supply.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Its nice to bounce thoughts around. I don't see any adjustments on this pump, so maybe it's time for a rebuild. Thanks for the help!

/ MItsubishi D1800 miss and white smoke #6  
I'm inclined to agree with you. Its nice to bounce thoughts around. I don't see any adjustments on this pump, so maybe it's time for a rebuild. Thanks for the help!

Happy to help as best as I can!! Please let us know how it turns out.

/ MItsubishi D1800 miss and white smoke #7  
What was it doing before.??
Why did u pull the heads.??
I almost sounds like the valves are floating.??
Could be pump timing.??
Did u reuse the timing shims that r under the pump.??

I took the tractor in against some money owed, and it had a cracked head. The head was not repairable, so I replaced the head with a junkyard unit, new gasket etc. I pulled the injectors and they cracked at about 1500 - 1600 psi, and worked perfectly. Other than that, I've tried an aux fuel system, in case starvation was an issue, I tried pressurizing the tank, replacing the fuel with new fuel, air filter on / off doesnt matter. It's not leaking or burning coolant, no noticable blowby, I still havn't done compressions yet, I didn't change anything else. I just can't get it to run over about 1700 rpm.

/ MItsubishi D1800 miss and white smoke #9  
I took the tractor in against some money owed, and it had a cracked head. The head was not repairable, so I replaced the head with a junkyard unit, new gasket etc. I pulled the injectors and they cracked at about 1500 - 1600 psi, and worked perfectly. Other than that, I've tried an aux fuel system, in case starvation was an issue, I tried pressurizing the tank, replacing the fuel with new fuel, air filter on / off doesnt matter. It's not leaking or burning coolant, no noticable blowby, I still havn't done compressions yet, I didn't change anything else. I just can't get it to run over about 1700 rpm.

Was the junkyard head rebuilt? Or just pulled and installed?

/ MItsubishi D1800 miss and white smoke #10  
compression check is a great place to start! Also, do you know why the head cracked in the first place?