Mitsubishi D1800 KE95 Engine

/ Mitsubishi D1800 KE95 Engine #1  

Ster1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi
Hi folks,
I have a Mitsubishi D1800 with a KE95 2 cylinder diesel. My head is cracked, and is not repairable (I’ve taken it to several shops and all said the same thing). I know that Southern Global has one for $1250, but I don’t want to cough up that money until I have exhausted all other options. I’ve checked with Stevens, All States, Wenger’s, and a few others. That engine is a bit of a unicorn, apparently. Anyway, if anyone has a head for that KE95, I’d be interested in buying it. I highly doubt anyone does, so the next thing I wanted to talk about is a repower. That engine is roughly 20HP, so a Kohler Vtwin would be a reasonable replacement. A couple issues with that would be adding a hydraulic pump to that engine, and how to deal with the frame. The KE95 is a stressed member, and there’s no way to make the Kohler do that, so I’d have to make a frame too. Not impossible, but all this is making that $1250 sound not so bad. Anyway, curious to hear thoughts, any repower options etc. Thanks!

/ Mitsubishi D1800 KE95 Engine
So, as fate would have it, as soon as I ended this thread, I stumbled across an S3L engine. I think I’ll try to swap it in.

/ Mitsubishi D1800 KE95 Engine #3  
Before you go too crazy you may check with Valley Power. I had a Mitsubishi D2350 at one point and it seems like for that model some came with two cylinder engines others had four. There may be a four cylinder that would bolt right in or they may have a head.

/ Mitsubishi D1800 KE95 Engine #4  
Before you go too crazy you may check with Valley Power. I had a Mitsubishi D2350 at one point and it seems like for that model some came with two cylinder engines others had four. There may be a four cylinder that would bolt right in or they may have a head.
Yanmars and Shibaruras are like that too. One can swap 2 and 3 cylinder engines. Now the thing to watch out for is the frame rails and mounting holes. Those in a way tell what engines can be swapped and fitted to the frame to simply bolt to the bell housing, work the clutch plate, etc.

If people have access to the engine parts manuals, this can be easily determined. Most of the Yanmar manuals are available. A bit harder for the Mitsubishi complete tractors. We have some, but not all in the Resource Manager section on another forum for free.

/ Mitsubishi D1800 KE95 Engine #5  
Hi folks,
I have a Mitsubishi D1800 with a KE95 2 cylinder diesel. My head is cracked, and is not repairable (I’ve taken it to several shops and all said the same thing). I know that Southern Global has one for $1250, but I don’t want to cough up that money until I have exhausted all other options. I’ve checked with Stevens, All States, Wenger’s, and a few others. That engine is a bit of a unicorn, apparently. Anyway, if anyone has a head for that KE95, I’d be interested in buying it. I highly doubt anyone does, so the next thing I wanted to talk about is a repower. That engine is roughly 20HP, so a Kohler Vtwin would be a reasonable replacement. A couple issues with that would be adding a hydraulic pump to that engine, and how to deal with the frame. The KE95 is a stressed member, and there’s no way to make the Kohler do that, so I’d have to make a frame too. Not impossible, but all this is making that $1250 sound not so bad. Anyway, curious to hear thoughts, any repower options etc. Thanks!
The KE95 isn't a popular engine like the KE70.

If you do a Kohler V-twin, NEVER use a Courage engine. Only use the Magnum M20 or the Command engines.

There are people who repower with the Harbor Freight Predator engines on tractors. There are at least 2 done on YT vids to date. Several Massey and other brands too. The one Mitsubishi even has a loader with the Predator engine. However the person who did the repower, picked the smaller Predator engine and should of went with the 470cc instead of the wimpy 212cc engine.

/ Mitsubishi D1800 KE95 Engine #6  
Did the shops you took it to specialize in head repair?

/ Mitsubishi D1800 KE95 Engine
I thought I hit the jackpot. I picked up an S3L2 engine for real cheap. I thought it would be a good replacement. Yes some modification would be necessary because I’m replacing a 2 cylinder with a 3, but I thought it would work. Bummed to find out not. The starter motor is on the wrong side. The transmission bellhousing has a starter bump on the right. The S3L2 has it on the left. No room on the right of the S3L2 either. So… I have a low hour S3L2 for sale if anyone wants it.