Mig welding machine

/ Mig welding machine
I agree that the 6011 rods will burn through paint and rust but do a lot better if the metal is cleaned first. I picked the MM 175 because it will do 95% of my welding needs and I had 220VAC outlet already for the Arc welder. OT? why so many different outlets for 220VAC? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have kept the Arc machine for times when the mig wont do. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I used some flux core wire yesterday out in the wind, worked farely well but requires carefull cleaning between passes /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I now have to make an adapter for the 22VAC outlet of my genarator to an outlet that will fit the plug of the mig machine /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Mig welding machine #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Like Zoomie said, the MIG's depend much more on a breeze free environment, </font>
This assumes you're not using flux core wire, right? )</font>

Sorry Mike, but I can't comment on flux-core use - never used it. Practically all of my welding experience has been in a shop with a Miller mig(various models/3-phase) and the argon/oxy. gas mixture and minimal stick use. Here they used to not let you weld with a wire-welder until you learned how to use a stick - then you rarely touch one again. Maybe someone else here can give some insight of flux-core ?

/ Mig welding machine #13  
I used fluxcore for a little bit (till the C25 gas came). I need to switch between "Electrode Positive" and "Electrode Negative" when going between solid and fluxcore wire. The fluxcore leaves a little slag, but not nearly as much as a stick welder. The fluxcore produces more splater, but is recommended by folks on the welding forum I visit for better penetration and outdoor (windy) conditions. I have done nearly all my welding outdoors so far, and found solid wire with the CV25 mixed gas works pretty well. When it gets pretty breezy, I can usually block the wind enough so it isn't an issue. I have never attempted to weld outdoors when it was really windy...............chim

/ Mig welding machine #14  
The advantage I see to a 110v MIG with fluxcore is you don't have to drag around a gas bottle. It goes back to what someone else mentioned (I think somone else mentioned this /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), can you bring the work to the welding equipment or do you have to take the welding equipment to the work.

/ Mig welding machine #15  
That's the reason I got my 110v MIG apart from the pont that you can take it anywhere and plug it in. I always use flux core, never used gas. Just about all my welding is done outside and I couldn't stand starting a job, running out of gas and having to make a 60 mile round trip to get some. I admit that it's not as pretty as using gas, a lot more spatter, but for most of the stuff that I do that's not too important. I find myself using the stick welder more and more at the house. I can lay down a much prettier bead with it on a windy day although it is even more "messy".

/ Mig welding machine #17  
Alan,

You're pretty close by...

The rest,
Yes, flux-core is the only Mig I have had good results with outside a shop. When I attended welding school, the first thing we learned was welding with a gas torch! I'm glad for the experience, as it really teaches you the importance of "puddle" control, but I'd much rather have an electric welder. Y'all haven't had fun until you use a gas torch to weld a vertical joint!

The slef-darkening helments are the best thing to happen to welding in a long, long time! I could never go back to the old style.

Most of my welding is done outside, on implements or my fence/gates. For these jobs, the engine-driven AC welder has been the best choice.