MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #101  
... I use them in a job shop atmosphere so not a hobby thing at all. ...

Like I said previously, your mileage may vary but I KNOW what mine is.
Two different worlds. For your production shop buying top quality and paying what that costs, is well worthwhile. And cost-efective. I would do that too if I relied on my welding to make a living.

But this thread was started by someone who hasn't even started yet, didn't know what to buy, and is probably learning a lot as he reads down through the replies. I was that guy, a couple of decades ago after I retired and had time to start some hobbies. My advice to start out real cheap then later buy quality if you have a need for it, is pretty much the path I've taken

Of the four welders here, my favorite is that $149 Amico dual voltage FC 'mig' from Amazon.

I still have the welder I started with, a 230A-AC stick welder, to use for heavy stuff. Between that and the Amico I don't need anything else for what needs welding here. Total net investment in welders after 20 years playing with them and a couple of trades is under $300. 'Good enough for the girls I go with' as an old Carpenter buddy used to say.

YMMV, two different applications!

For the moment I think the OP's needs are more similar to mine as he learns what he wants.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #102  
Two different worlds. For your production shop buying top quality and paying what that costs, is well worthwhile. And cost-efective. I would do that too if I relied on my welding to make a living.

But this thread was started by someone who hasn't even started yet, didn't know what to buy, and is probably learning a lot as he reads down through the replies. I was that guy, a couple of decades ago after I retired and had time to start some hobbies. My advice to start out real cheap then later buy quality if you have a need for it, is pretty much the path I've taken

Of the four welders here, my favorite is that $149 Amico dual voltage FC 'mig' from Amazon.

I still have the welder I started with, a 230A-AC stick welder, to use for heavy stuff. Between that and the Amico I don't need anything else for what needs welding here. Total net investment in welders after 20 years playing with them and a couple of trades is under $300. 'Good enough for the girls I go with' as an old Carpenter buddy used to say.

YMMV, two different applications!

For the moment I think the OP's needs are more similar to mine as he learns what he wants.

Only thing I would differ on is the 'buy real cheap, and then buy quality later'. I would try to buy something Cost effective, in the cheaper end, but not truly the absolute cheapest made. Basically something that won't need trash canned once you out grow it; something that will still function as a back up machine (if you upgrade your mig game later), or as the fast and dirty, quick access or easily portable machine, that compliments your later, better machine.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #103  
I'm pretty much set on getting the Vulcan Mig Max 215 on sale for Inside Track Members

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #104  
Unless I'm missing something, Titanium welders from HF only have 90 day warranty, unless you buy an extended warranty though them.
You are missing something but what you are missing isn't advertised by HF, you have to physically go to the store and talk to the manager.

HF only advertises their '90 day' warranty and the warranty I have may be tied into the HF Credit card and / or the ITC club membership, both of which I have.

I do believe that the '90 day warranty does apply to their 'loss leader' line of Chicago welders, not that I'm interested in them anyway because I require advanced machines with features that the cheapo welder don't have and never will have. My Pro-Tig is 100% digital readout and all the welding parameters, TIG and low hydrogen SMAW are set with just 3 controls. Same with the plasma cutters, all digital readout but in the case of the plasma cutters, one control sets everything and all 3 have 'memory' built in so when you start them up, they return to your previous settings (other than inert gas flow which you have to set via a flowmeter).

I really like the HF credit card. When you charge major purchases like I do, the cost is interest deferred (depending on the amount up to 3 years) and believe me, I go 3 years without fail. Lets just say I ran it up over 3500 bucks last time.

Actually, the HF Vulcan and Titanium series welders and plasma cutters have the standard 90 day warranty plus an additional one year (from the purchase date, receipt required) and you can extend that 2 additional years for an additional fee. I know as I extended the warranty on all 3 of them when I purchased them and I have the paperwork to prove it. When you extend the warranty, the cashier prints out a separate receipt and provides you with a leaflet with that receipt attached so all you have to do is take that with the machine back to HF and they give you a new one, no questions asked and that is for whatever reason, even if you don't like the color of the case, I know, I asked the store manager.

She also wants me to teach her how to TIG weld...lol No, she isn't my type anyway. Not into chubby gals with tats and streaked red and blonde hair.... :rolleyes: I know she likes me but the feelings aren't reciprocal.

The 3 year warranty that HF has is as good as any of the mainstream machines (Hobart, Miller, Lincoln, ESAB) and not quite on par with Fronius but all of them will require taking their machines to an authorized service center which may or may not be local and if not, shipping the machine to them and in my experience, they do not cover transportation costs either and will charge you for non warranty items such as fried components due to negligence on your part.

HF is a lot easier that returning something to Amazonian for replacement or even dealing with an 'authorized service center' for repairs, warranty or not. My local HF stores are less than 15 miles either east or west of me.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #105  
Only thing I would differ on is the 'buy real cheap, and then buy quality later'. I would try to buy something Cost effective, in the cheaper end, but not truly the absolute cheapest made. Basically something that won't need trash canned once you out grow it; something that will still function as a back up machine (if you upgrade your mig game later), or as the fast and dirty, quick access or easily portable machine, that compliments your later, better machine.
My philosophy about welders or machine tools or anything mechanical or electronically controlled for that matter is, save up your money and at least not purchase the cheapest stuff you can get because from experience, I've learned the hard way in the past that buying cheap might work for a time but once the cheap part wears off, what you wind up with is a cheap, worthless machine that cannot advance as your skill set advances and that includes machine tools as well. You won't find any 'cheap' machine tools in my shop. From my lathes to my surface grinders to my hydraulic arbor press and even my welding tables as well as all my tooling, it's all quality stuff. You won't find any cheap measuring tools in my Gerstner machinist tool box either. Everything in it is either LS Starrett or Brown(e) and Sharp or late model Mititoyo and some Fred Fowler toolroom grade stuff as well.

First 2 machines I purchased were the pair of Hobart 210 gas Migs (transformer machines) that were actually made in Troy, Ohio from mostly domestic parts inert gas bottles and bubble ball flow meters (I don't care for analog flow gages, never have). Fine for O/A but not so good for visually monitoring inert gas flow.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #107  
Soooo, I finally got to try your suggestions to help me with my un-pronouncible welder.

1713128336518.jpeg

It's not in the manual, so apparently we're born with the knowledge, that I didn't get in my dna.

You must pull the wire feed trigger to make it work.

Thanks for the help all (he said embarrassingly).

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #108  
By the way, even though I can never tell anyone what brand of welder it is because I can't pronounce the name, it works pretty slick.
And that's without a chance to practice yet. My 3 small test beads were better than my best when I first
learned 40ish years ago.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #109  
if welding in 110-go cheap. Why because 110v will be a light duty cycle mig anyway. Get one that will weld both flux core wire and gas. Practice a bit using flux core wire then go to gas-you will see a huge difference in your welds-properly set with gas sounds like cooking bacon :)

I gave my Harbor Freight away to my nephew so he could practice to be a professional at home, that was 4 years ago and now he works for a company building destroyers for the navy.

Thats all you need for now....then once you get the hang of it-upgrade to something better.

I was a professional welder before I became a Microsoft Windows Engineer. Built everything from oversized logging trailers and trailer truck headboards to fuel or oil tanks and 5x8 trailers.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #110  
if welding in 110-go cheap. Why because 110v will be a light duty cycle mig anyway. Get one that will weld both flux core wire and gas. Practice a bit using flux core wire then go to gas-you will see a huge difference in your welds-properly set with gas sounds like cooking bacon :)

I gave my Harbor Freight away to my nephew so he could practice to be a professional at home, that was 4 years ago and now he works for a company building destroyers for the navy.

Thats all you need for now....then once you get the hang of it-upgrade to something better.

I was a professional welder before I became a Microsoft Windows Engineer. Built everything from oversized logging trailers and trailer truck headboards to fuel or oil tanks and 5x8 trailers.
I mentioned earlier that I was a licensed mechanic from 1987 to 2005 and I had to learn to weld to get my license.
I have a 40+ yr old flux core mig in the basement right now that never worked right - and the last time I needed to use that was around 2004.
So I do see a need coming up for a couple small projects, but nothing beyond that in the plans, so a very inexpensive ("cheap" implies poor quality)
suits me for my need of a couple times per decade.