MIE 3rd Function Kit

/ MIE 3rd Function Kit #2  
Well, I have one for my DK40SE, which seemed to be it's own variant... Bob accommodated my custom fitment issues and sent me the appropriate bracket. Everything is very well built, just like my MIE plow. The nice thing about the 3rd function/diverter valve is that all it takes to engage the implement is the pull of a trigger. I imagine the rear remote kit has its benefits as well.

/ MIE 3rd Function Kit #3  
A few months back I sent an email to MIE asking for a bit of info on a 3rd function kit for my KL401 loader on my DK45SEH. They got back to me quickly telling me the following....

"The kit includes everything you need including custom fit Joystick Handle, Brackets, Valve, Hoses, Fittings, and Electrical components. It is a Plug-and-Play kit, and includes installtion instructions. This is an electric selector system, that selects between your bucket curl and the 3rd function with a custom button on the joystick handle.the Joystick is from Scorpion Controls, Included brackets, valve, hoses, fittings and electrical components."

I actually chose to go with a kit form "Everything Attachments" instead as they could ship right away. MIE, at the time, quoted a 2 1/2 week wait to ship. Both were similar $850~ in price

I must say though, something I did not realize when going the 3rd function route. There is no feathering the button on the joystick; no feathering of the valve. It's either pressure on, or pressure off. But it sure is nice having the button right there on the joystick. I'm also not really able to operate the thumb on the grapple and curl or lift at the same time. All other functions seem to take priority over the new 3rd function, for the same reason you cannot lift your 3pt hitch at the same time you raise the FEL. This is true for the DKse series tractors. It is possible that the NX series is plumbed differently.

Last edited:
   / MIE 3rd Function Kit #4  
A few months back I sent an email to MIE asking for a bit of info on a 3rd function kit for my KL401 loader on my DK45SEH. They got back to me quickly telling me the following....

"The kit includes everything you need including custom fit Joystick Handle, Brackets, Valve, Hoses, Fittings, and Electrical components. It is a Plug-and-Play kit, and includes installtion instructions. This is an electric selector system, that selects between your bucket curl and the 3rd function with a custom button on the joystick handle.the Joystick is from Scorpion Controls, Included brackets, valve, hoses, fittings and electrical components."

I actually chose to go with a kit form "Everything Attachments" instead as they could ship right away. MIE, at the time, quoted a 2 1/2 week wait to ship. Both were similar $850~ in price

I must say though, something I did not realize when going the 3rd function route. There is no feathering the button on the joystick; no feathering of the valve. It's either pressure on, or pressure off. But it sure is nice having the button right there on the joystick. I'm also not really able to operate the thumb on the grapple and curl or lift at the same time. All other functions seem to take priority over the new 3rd function, for the same reason you cannot lift your 3pt hitch at the same time you raise the FEL. This is true for the DKse series tractors. It is possible that the NX series is plumbed differently.

We have listened to our customers and will soon be offering a new type of "True Third Function Priority/Proportional Kit".
We have spent about 6 months developing a custom 3rd function "proportional control" 3rd function kit. This kit will offer hydraulic power beyond from the 3rd function valve with electric-over-hydraulic "proportional" control for feathering the hydraulics on the 3rd function. This means that the power flow will not be interupted when using the 3rd function, and will priovide continous "power-beyond" even when the 3rd function is used. This will eliminate the possibility of "deadheading" the hydraulic system, since the valve will have an integrated priority divider to constantly provide flow to the follow on hydraulic functions in the tractor (ie-3-point hydraulics). All of the features will be contained in a custom valve body, allowing full proportional 3rd function control (feathering) and priority power-beyond from one valve body. We hope to start having kits ready by fall of this year.

/ MIE 3rd Function Kit #5  
We have listened to our customers and will soon be offering a new type of "True Third Function Priority/Proportional Kit".
We have spent about 6 months developing a custom 3rd function "proportional control" 3rd function kit. This kit will offer hydraulic power beyond from the 3rd function valve with electric-over-hydraulic "proportional" control for feathering the hydraulics on the 3rd function. This means that the power flow will not be interupted when using the 3rd function, and will priovide continous "power-beyond" even when the 3rd function is used. This will eliminate the possibility of "deadheading" the hydraulic system, since the valve will have an integrated priority divider to constantly provide flow to the follow on hydraulic functions in the tractor (ie-3-point hydraulics). All of the features will be contained in a custom valve body, allowing full proportional 3rd function control (feathering) and priority power-beyond from one valve body. We hope to start having kits ready by fall of this year.

Everything attachments touted the same about the "power beyond true 3rd function" which is just hydraulic pressure after the tractors loader valve. Which will not allow for any duel operations like lifting and closing the thumb for the DKse tractors that I can see. I also notice Everything Attachments now has added a bit of a disclaimer for some tractors in their 3rd function kit description, but it is still misleading. They now mention that some tractors may only be able to do 2 functions at a time. I cannot execute ANY other function when I am using this "true 3rd function", as soon as I do, the 3rd function yields fully to the other functions. I was definitely mislead by Everything Attachments advertising back in late March and got nothing more than a "we are sorry" and finger pointing at WR long. They did answered my emails. I can't help but feel like this will be more of the same. I would like to know what exactly MIE is doing differently, other than the proportional control valve for feathering, that will allow for multiple functions at the same time; curling and thumb close simultaneously?

Last edited:
   / MIE 3rd Function Kit
Is the functionality different for a NX series tractor? Will the MIE or the Everything Attachment provide full functionality with the NX series and just not with the DKse? I thought the way I understood it was if it used the power beyond port you would have true 3rd function (curl, lift, close). I already have rear remotes, so I am weighing the cost of this valve to just running lines to the rear. If I am paying for this valve, I want to have FULL 3 functions at once, not a diverter or some sort of hybrid.
-Craig

/ MIE 3rd Function Kit #7  
Is the functionality different for a NX series tractor? Will the MIE or the Everything Attachment provide full functionality with the NX series and just not with the DKse? I thought the way I understood it was if it used the power beyond port you would have true 3rd function (curl, lift, close). I already have rear remotes, so I am weighing the cost of this valve to just running lines to the rear. If I am paying for this valve, I want to have FULL 3 functions at once, not a diverter or some sort of hybrid.
-Craig

Definitely the question I wished I knew to ask before my purchase. FULL function is what I wanted out of the $850 I gave to Everything Attachments, but its not what i got. I wanted what the description said I would get. I didn't even get what the later on disclaimer said I would get. There was no reason to ask the question when I purchased, I just went by what Everything Attachments told me. We need to know if the NX series tractors respond to a 3rd function kit like the DKse tractors, why or why not?

/ MIE 3rd Function Kit #8  
Everything attachments touted the same about the "power beyond true 3rd function" which is just hydraulic pressure after the tractors loader valve. Which will not allow for any duel operations like lifting and closing the thumb for the DKse tractors that I can see. I also notice Everything Attachments now has added a bit of a disclaimer for some tractors in their 3rd function kit description, but it is still misleading. They now mention that some tractors may only be able to do 2 functions at a time. I cannot execute ANY other function when I am using this "true 3rd function", as soon as I do, the 3rd function yields fully to the other functions. I was definitely mislead by Everything Attachments advertising back in late March and got nothing more than a "we are sorry" and finger pointing at WR long. They did answered my emails. I can't help but feel like this will be more of the same. I would like to know what exactly MIE is doing differently, other than the proportional control valve for feathering, that will allow for multiple functions at the same time; curling and thumb close simultaneously?

Thank you for your interest in MIE Machinery. Without publishing 6 months of engineering and development, what we can say is that we have developed a custom valve body that includes both the 3rd proportional function control AND priority Power-Beyond in one compact valve body. This is true proportional control and continuous power beyond to the follow-on hydraulic functions in the tractor. Even if you dead head the 3rd function, the priority power beyond continues to supply power to the balance of the tractor hydraulic circuit. This is accomplished through a proprietary pressure compensated cartridge in the valve. We have done 3rd function set-ups this way before, but it required the use of 2 valve bodies, and some complicated plumbing. We have now put it in one valve body.

At this time, we only offer the ESK Selector Kits, or a custom 2 valve proportional 3rd function with true Power-Beyond. We do not offer an "on-off: 3rd function without a compensated power beyond circuit. Our ESK Selector Kits have been a great product and offer "feathered" control of the 3rd set of hydraulic outlets. We believe our new kit will set a standard for 3rd function kits, offering the features our customers have asked for, and the power beyond capability necessary to protect the tractor hydraulic system.

Hope this helps,

/ MIE 3rd Function Kit #9  

What this is describing is commonly known as a Diverter Valve. When you press the 1 button on the control grip it diverts one current function (typically the Curl/Dump function) into a 3rd set of outlets to run the 3rd function - in your case the grapple lid.

Pro's of this system is you get full proportional control via the curl/dump valve on your loader control. Con's - you can't curl/dump and open/close the grapple lid (or whatever else) at the same time.

EA simply resells the W.R. Long 3rd function kit. This kit IS a true 3rd function in as much as it will operate independently of the other loader functions (with one proviso that you have discovered, more on this in a moment). In place of a diverter valve it uses a true bi-directional solenoid valve. You have 2 buttons on the control grip to actuate the solenoid in either direction

Pro's it is operated independent of the loaders other functions ** Con's - it is NOT proportional. It is indeed On or Off in either direction you choose.

Thus far in my usage on a grapple I have found absolutely no time where this has been an issue. If you're using your 3rd function on a snow plow / blower where finer / slower control might be needed then I could see where it's a problem.

** Now back to why on most SCUT's / CUT's you can't really operate your 3rd function at the same time.
First - a very basic understanding of how the hydraulic fluid flows through your system is needed.

Tank -> Pump -> Power Steering (if not fed from a separate pump/output) -> Loader Valve (Lift/Lower function then Dump/Curl function then out the Power Beyond Port) -> Rear Remotes (SCV's) if present -> 3 Point Lift -> back to the Tank

Now what happens is as fluid is passing thru the loader valve body it gets used for Lift/Lower then if any flow isn't being used there, it goes to Curl/Dump, anything left after that leaves the loader valve as "Power Beyond" which then becomes the pressure in on your 3rd function valve.

What happens in the real world is that the GPM flow on these pumps are so low that when 1 function is in heavy / full use or 2 functions are in partial use then there is not enough flow capacity left to power the remaining function. Also due to how the loader valve is made it's always priority to Lift/Lower then Curl/Dump and then out the PB to the 3rd function.

If you want to try an experiment at home put your loader down on the ground and then try to dump the bucket while lifting the loader. Most likely you will find that if you're pulling back hard on the stick and raising the loader quickly, the dumping action stops. That's because the Lift function is using all the available flow. If you pull back gently and only part way you can slowly both lift & dump.

The same thing should happen if you try to curl/dump and open/close the grapple without lifting/lowering.

On larger tractors and construction grade equipment you have 2 factors that allow for full operation of all 3 functions simultaneously.
1) The hydraulic system flow capacity is much greater
2) The valve body (bodies) are designed to allow for a portion of the incoming flow to pass through the valve, regardless of it's operation, to be used downstream by the next valve.

This type of valve body (or something similar in function) is what MIE is talking about offering in their new system and I'm pretty curious to see it in action myself.

/ MIE 3rd Function Kit #10  
Thank you for your interest in MIE Machinery. Without publishing 6 months of engineering and development, what we can say is that we have developed a custom valve body that includes both the 3rd proportional function control AND priority Power-Beyond in one compact valve body. This is true proportional control and continuous power beyond to the follow-on hydraulic functions in the tractor. Even if you dead head the 3rd function, the priority power beyond continues to supply power to the balance of the tractor hydraulic circuit. This is accomplished through a proprietary pressure compensated cartridge in the valve. We have done 3rd function set-ups this way before, but it required the use of 2 valve bodies, and some complicated plumbing. We have now put it in one valve body.

At this time, we only offer the ESK Selector Kits, or a custom 2 valve proportional 3rd function with true Power-Beyond. We do not offer an "on-off: 3rd function without a compensated power beyond circuit. Our ESK Selector Kits have been a great product and offer "feathered" control of the 3rd set of hydraulic outlets. We believe our new kit will set a standard for 3rd function kits, offering the features our customers have asked for, and the power beyond capability necessary to protect the tractor hydraulic system.

Hope this helps,

MIE, Thank you for the quick response,

So the pressure compensator is the new component, sensing pressure difference across an orifice. One side of the orifice being the 3rd function pressure, the other side being pressure from the loader valve, then regulating according to these 2 pressures?

Will this new kit allow the Kioti NX and DKse tractors to curl , lift, and close at the same time, like a proper 3rd function?