Mice

/ Mice #1  

Smokeydog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, M59, M5030DT
Used the B26 and rear finish mower to blow leaves and chop up leaves on a 1/2 mile driveway. Noted black exhaust smoke when under load. At the shop stopped to check air cleaner. Packed with small acorns around the filter. Luckily no damage. Tied new dryer sheets in engine compartments of the tractors, trucks and car seem to help. In the shop have sealed metal cabinets to keep them from destroying expensive tools. Buy $5 government metal filing cabinets, tack sheet metal on the bottom to keep all the equipment filters and maintenance items clean.

/ Mice #2  
You have been warned to have a fire extinguisher on board :)

I have had several fires from squirrels building a nest around my turbocharger.

By the time i realized there was a fire I was some distance from my home and water.

Dave M7040

Attachments

• Fire extinguisher 1.jpg
    Fire extinguisher 1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 595
  • Fire extinguisher 2.jpg
    Fire extinguisher 2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 518
   / Mice
IMG_1067.JPG
Fire extinguishers should be standard equipment. The only chance in a few seconds to prevent a small fire from becoming a major problem.

Last edited:
   / Mice #5  
What a different world it would be if ALL humans worked that hard and were that productive.

/ Mice #6  
What a different world it would be if ALL humans worked that hard and were that productive.

Yea, if the homeless people you mention in other threads worked half that hard they wouldn’t be homeless. Or worked at all...

/ Mice #7  
last year I had no mice in any of my equipment other than the salt spreader. and they ruined that motor. all the other equipment was being used regularly and maybe that kept them away at nest building time. this year I had mouse crap and piss in the cab of my mini x and it stunk. I spent a few hours douching the cab and the smell is basically gone. I think that they look for places to nest in the early fall when the cold starts in. Im trying to make sure our equipment is active during that time now so maybe it will keep them away.

/ Mice #8  
It was suggested to lift the hood and leave it open, so I tried that after finding a nest in my engine. In addition, I place moth balls in the engine. Since I have started these two items, no more nest in the engine. In addition, I toss one of those rodent repellent bags in the cab to try to keep them from inside there. So far, no noted nest or damage.

/ Mice #9  
I have repeated mouse nesting on the small shelf under my fuse block in a MF2660. Repellent and or poison works but then that leaves a mess too. On the older Massey Harris Pacer the mice made nests in among the spark plugs in hard to reach places. I used it rarely but when I did it burned out the mice.

The reall horror stories are from those whose wiring harnesses were chewed beyond repair and had to be replaced. Luckily, so far, I have not had that !!

My manuals and literature and notes and paper towels all became mice nest materials until I mounted a surplus steel kitchen cabinet on the shop wall. They are unable to penetrate that.

/ Mice #10  
They've taken good old green D-Con off the market. I ordered a lifetime supply from eBay awhile back. I keep one or two boxes under the hoods of my cars. I've had no chewed wires or shredded fiberglass nests since I started. Did it solve the problem? I don't know but I've had no more evidence of mice. Keep them well fed and they won't eat stuff you care about.