MF GC2310 TLB Issue

/ MF GC2310 TLB Issue #1  

Mattmotors

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2310 TLB
Hi Tractor family , I have a 2007 2310 TLB with 655 hours. I have a new issue and/or problem with a cold start. My sequence for starting is push up the throttle up a little bit. Then turn the glow plugs on for 20 seconds, Turn switch to on position for a few seconds to run the fuel pump. Then to start position and it fires right up.
What just started happening now is when I go to the start position, it turns over and I get a sneeze. sounds like a SHHHH sound, or kind of like what blow back through a carburetor would be.
All warm starts fire up with no issue. The antifreeze reservoir is right at the line. I have not looked in the radiator yet. It almost sounds like it is coming from the front right.
Can you guys educate me and tell me your thoughts and what to look for? My thoughts are pushing me to head gasket. If I have to take it to the dealer, I would like to know what I'm talking about. Thanks , Matt.

Last edited:
   / MF GC2310 TLB Issue #2  
Is that a turbocharged engine?

/ MF GC2310 TLB Issue
No.

/ MF GC2310 TLB Issue #4  
"All warm starts fire up with the NEW issue" OR "All warm starts fire up with NO issue ?"

The radiator coolant level matters (esp if way down) but the overflow tank level does not really tell you much. If you question the head gasket I suggest buying a radiator pressure test kit and see if it is holding pressure. I got one last fall for about $56 on Amazon. There are cheaper kits. This one had adapters to fit a wide variety of sizes. You might find an auto or tractor repair shop near you ( brand does not matter) and just borrow a kit or have them do the pressure test if you don't want to buy the kit. You can check for head gasket issues many ways (watching for combustion bubbles coming into the coolant, etc.) but the pressure test does it more conclusively.
I'm like you wondering about the head gasket but I would be alarmed in tht direction until I did a pressure test.

With that low of an hours on your machine I'd be very surprised of there is anything serious wrong.

/ MF GC2310 TLB Issue #5  
I will take a stab.

When you hear shhhh noise when cold starting the engine , is it possible it is coming from the engine air cleaner ?

If so a possible culprit is a tight intake valve that can cause some leakage back through the intake tract port.

Once the engine is warm Valve clearances open up.

Ballpark on a cold versus warmed up OHV engine clearance change is around .004"

A 2007 tractor with over 600 hours that has not had the valves adjusted probably should be checked and verified If the valve clearances have not been set during scheduled maintenance.

Could be other things, and Hope I read the description right, so from what was posted something to check.

Good Luck and hope it is an easy fix.

Last edited:
   / MF GC2310 TLB Issue
All warm starts start with no issue. No sneezing. My mistake. I just went out and did some checks. The radiator is full to the top and clean. Checked the oil. Clean , no white milky gunk. So I started the tractor. No sneeze. It is warmer than this morning, mid 30's. This morning was cold. I'll try again tomorrow morning. The only thing on the front right looks like Maybe exhaust manifold and attachment for the muffler.

/ MF GC2310 TLB Issue
corrected my first post with warm start no issues.

/ MF GC2310 TLB Issue #8  
Yeah, I tend to the same opinion as sd455dan. Valve clearances. My guess is you can ignore it without any worries. If it is handy or already scheduled maint then the valve clearance adjustment will probably clear the issue. Of course by that time it will be hot outside ....

/ MF GC2310 TLB Issue #9  
Is that a turbocharged engine?
no.
but from my experiences with a 2004 GC2300 the key sequence is not what I remember. but my memory getting iffy so I didn't chime in.

until now.

I thought key sequence worked like my GC2400, turn key on to fire fuel pump THEN turn against spring to heat glow plugs for 30-45 seconds THEN turn rest of way to spin starter.
but last time I dealt with GC2300 was in 2004 so...yeah

will say this, if head gasket your oil will be overfull and stick will show white color on stick. plus when t-stat open your coolant bottle will bubble a lot.

/ MF GC2310 TLB Issue #10  
no.
but from my experiences with a 2004 GC2300 the key sequence is not what I remember. but my memory getting iffy so I didn't chime in.

until now.

I thought key sequence worked like my GC2400, turn key on to fire fuel pump THEN turn against spring to heat glow plugs for 30-45 seconds THEN turn rest of way to spin starter.
but last time I dealt with GC2300 was in 2004 so...yeah

will say this, if head gasket your oil will be overfull and stick will show white color on stick. plus when t-stat open your coolant bottle will bubble a lot.
Well I agree with Dave in general. His description of the startup sequence is exactly what I am used to. But I would comment that there are a lot of variations in symptoms with a blown head gasket. Sometimes they have the radiator bubble a lot or a little, sometimes oil level is affected and sometimes not, etc. As I said earlier I like the pressure test on the cooling system to tell me once and for all whether there is a blown gasket.

Especially since the OP has it fire right up when hot without hearing the symptoms and only hears the noise when cold starting, I doubt the head gasket is involved. Is very puzzling though, especially since it represents a CHANGE. We all need to perk up when there is an unexplained change.