MF 1742 Cranks but wont start

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start #1  

NAVYMC

Tractor
MF 1742
OK gents, I have to do this, been reading through the posts and do not have the time to read a bazillion threads. SO, Going to my lower pasture Sunday, hit a ground hog hole, triggered the seat switch, engine stopped. USUALLY, it fires right back up with a momentary overheat warning but then quickly goes back to normal. This time, it will not start. It turns over but will not fire off. 3/4 tank, full service 20 hours ago, I was not using PTO or any other part that would safety switch this thing dead. I cycled everything just to make sure. Visually inspected under the chassis, all the normal stuff. It is throwing a 2042 2 code, which is the pressure limiting valve(DBV) open (rotational speed over) First question, what the HECK does that mean? I do not understand the rotational speed over. Any help there would be great. Where is that VALVE!!!! LOUD NOISES!!!! THROWING WRENCHES!!!!! Ok, not really, just the little dude in my head.

Second, the dealer is telling me I have to bring it in to reset that code. THEN I found an old timer that says he has seen this before and to take the positive and negative off the battery, ground them together for 15-20 seconds and the fault will clear. Hook the terminals back up and voila. Well, that didn't work either which tells me IF that really works, then there is a component that has failed. ANY, like ANNNNNNNY thoughts would be appreciated.

I think it is funny the dealer is asking me to bring the machine in when it is clearly understood that my girl will not start and I do not have something to get it on the trailer with. UHG!!!!!!! I miss the old stuff! And yes, the little dude in my head started throwing things when the dealer requested I bring it in!

CHEERS!

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start #2  
don't suppose that hole bounced/loosened connections on rpm sensor? or whatever they call it. seems to me (no personal experience) like ecm is thinking its over revving and not delivering fuel.
seen similar stuff on automotive cam or crank sensors.

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start #3  
Dealer doesn't have a service truck? How do they deal with the big boys?

I suspect the tool required to reset the code is probably no larger or heavier than a 1990's cell phone. Seems like it'd be easier to move that to the 5000 lb. tractor, than the other way around.

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start #4  
I too have no direct experience on a tractor with this but have answered many VW owners with similar issues.. If that crank sensor is not indicating rpm to the ECM, the ECM will not call for fuel.

I don't think the code will stop a restart. But no crank signal? The controller has no idea who is on first and how to get to get to second!

So I agree with @Dmacleo - look for a loose wire on the crank sensor.

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start #5  
I think it has something to do with the fuel pressure sensor, I'd be looking for some loose wires around your fuel lines:

1709932144394.png

1709932076933.png

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start #6  
I'd be looking for a tractor that doesn't need all that crap.

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start
BAHHHHHHHH! Harry is correct. I just stopped by the local dealer, and they just started the Massey gig so not at all experienced. Went out and looked at the new toys and NONE OF THEM look to be as complicated as my girl!!!!! FINALLY, I had some time to tinker this afternoon. SO, the fuel is getting to the Bosch pump for sure. Oh, it is Bosch 0 445 020 506 PN, but on the diagram for that silly thing is a component they call a "measuring unit", beyond me why they call it that, maybe that is common, BUT, I believe that is the little pump that primes the rail. It is making a strange noise when you turn the key on, as in a much different noise than before the stall/trouble. SO, I am going in search of that little rascal and keep you posted.

I REALLY appreciate the feedback here. Not much help, but man I do not feel alone with some gear heads and experience talking to me, it is like therapy. Like TRACTOR therapy! @thclimer, GREAT info brother, that is what this kid showed me at the dealer. I asked him what the MPROP was and he had no clue. I would trash-talk him right now but I do not know what that means either!!! BUT, I think the code is tossed because the fuel rail PSI sensor is not getting ANY pressure. When I take that sensor off the rail and turn the ignition on, there is not fuel getting to the rail.

I think I have this, and will certainly let you all know. I would like to know where the low pressure pump is if someone knows, but I am pretty darn sure that thing is what those Germans call "measuring unit", and my little pea brain AMERICAN version its called a FREAKING INJECTION PUMP!!!!!!!! AND MF Calls it that also!!!!!! Sorry, the little guy in my head has had coffee and a Kickstart and likes to throw wrenches and yell!!! LOVES LOUD noises, damndest thing!!!!

OK, I will get back to you fine gentleman to let you know!!!!

Not it... Sadness...

/ MF 1742 Cranks but wont start #9  
You see, this sort of thing is what drives me crazy about the state of tractor engineering today. Unsuspecting individuals go looking for a tractor. The common prevailing thought is "new is always better". Buy something new and you're trouble free for a long time. Maybe so at one time, but not any more.

When the industry gave up common sense fuel systems in favor of common rail they took 'trouble free" right out of the equation. Take any older tractor without electronics. Sure, problems do come up. The difference is this. When they do, if you can make an accurate list of the symptoms then without fail SOMEONE can tell you what's wrong with it. With electronic systems it's a whole different matter. Sure, when they work they're slick, but when they act up they either won't run or they won't move. And all too often NO ONE can tell you why, because the list of possibles is endless. So is the price tag on some of the various components one can replace hoping to get past any current problem.

A list of such issues should be required by law at the top of any sales brochure.

Totally agree Harry. HIGHLY frustrating dealing with this when I live in the middle of nothing and takes a bit to get to the dealer. I have one close, but they are not tractor people. I was looking at the newest renditions of a 60-70 horse class Massey today when I was there. MUCH better design for accesability of the components. The engineers that designed this little one have obviously never touched a bail of hay, ran out of gas, or broke down in the middle of nowhere, changed a sikle blade, got the timing off on a square bailer - The list can go on forever. The one dealer where I trust the old guy in the service department told me their business charges $150 per hour, port to port for the labor. It is UNBLEIVABLE. Thinking about getting my neighbor to come help me push this on my trailer, drag it to a dealer that has and OLD MF and tell them pinks slips... LOL!!! I will figure this thing out, but that does not make it any less frustrating or prevent the little guy in my head from throwing wrenches and yelling...

Talk to you later bud...