MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #41  
Send a note to Farmland Tractor. They may have used parts for your tractor.

Although, they have a barn full of engines that LEAKS. However, you may get stuff that can be rebuilt.

There have to be other companies across the USA that strip old tractors too.

As far as your tractor, at some point there may be a benefit of puling the engine, and at least removing the oil pan. You will want to get all the little pieces of metal out of the engine.

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #42  
That is an interesting point to make. At this point I have spent about $500 so far on parts... so a distributor less ignition system might be worth it. Are you finding viable options you can share?

Thanks!
I looked for about half an hour and then figured that since I didn't know how how interested you would be, I was maybe just wasting my time.

As for viable options there wasn't much. Nobody mentioned 3 cylinder engines so lets hope you know how to McGiver things. The easiest would be a 6 cylinder waste spark system since you then don't need a cam position sensor. You'll need a crank position sensor and a pickup. Feed that into a computer that tells the coils when to fire. I can make it sound simple but the scope of what's involved is beyond me. I could do the mechanical parts but any issues with the electronics and I don't know what I'm doing.

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #43  
The 135 with the 4 cylinder diesel and the gas 3 cylinder never did run great. The Continental gas 4 was a decent engine and the Perkins 3 was very good. An older tractor like yours might need other engine work. Sell it off for parts and find a good used tractor with fewer hours on the clock. Look at my handle, but I would say I like the Ford 3000s of that era better even if they are tough on batteries.

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power
I looked for about half an hour and then figured that since I didn't know how how interested you would be, I was maybe just wasting my time.

As for viable options there wasn't much. Nobody mentioned 3 cylinder engines so lets hope you know how to McGiver things. The easiest would be a 6 cylinder waste spark system since you then don't need a cam position sensor. You'll need a crank position sensor and a pickup. Feed that into a computer that tells the coils when to fire. I can make it sound simple but the scope of what's involved is beyond me. I could do the mechanical parts but any issues with the electronics and I don't know what I'm doing.
Yikes... that is beyond what I want to bite off right now... but... time will tell... I often bite off more than I want. I appreciate you spending so much time looking for it.

The 135 with the 4 cylinder diesel and the gas 3 cylinder never did run great. The Continental gas 4 was a decent engine and the Perkins 3 was very good. An older tractor like yours might need other engine work. Sell it off for parts and find a good used tractor with fewer hours on the clock. Look at my handle, but I would say I like the Ford 3000s of that era better even if they are tough on batter
I am starting to be of the same mind. Hoping to get this thing running again and sell it and pick something else us that has common parts on it.

I had some time today and I almost have the front cover off the engine. I got a bit gun shy and since I have to take my son to a meeting to get his Eagle Scout project approved I decided to call it a day.

Looking for a bit of advice if I need to remove the pully off the front and if so, how? And best way to gently remove the front cover without daminging it.

See the latest video up.

Thanks!
Stuart

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #47  
I had some time today and I almost have the front cover off the engine. I got a bit gun shy and since I have to take my son to a meeting to get his Eagle Scout project approved I decided to call it a day.

Looking for a bit of advice if I need to remove the pully off the front and if so, how? And best way to gently remove the front cover without daminging it.

See the latest video up.

Thanks!
Stuart
So you do have to remove that pulley to get the timing cover off. There should be a big honkin' nut in the middle of it, and having an impact to bump it off is pretty helpful. Once the nut is out, you should be able to persuade that pulley to come off.

The cover is alloy I believe, so you might need to try and find the seam, then get a putty knife or something and tap it in around the edge to start to separate it from the block gently. Once all the bolts are out, its just the sealant that should be holding it on.

One thing I would really suggest is that before you take anything else off, you try to use an air compressor or some brake cleaner and clean up around the timing cover/distributor housing. When this all goes back together, it needs to have a clean surface for the gasket goo to adhere to, and its a lot easier to get all the dirt and crud off while things are still sealed up. If you try after you have it open, you risk getting a lot of nasty stuff into your engine where you might create more problems.

Ill try to get some scans for you soon from my manual to see if they can help.

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #48  
Check your money supply and look into a ad3.152 Perkins engine
Same stuff, less stuff to fix
Keep fuel fresh run forever
All the bolt holes the same made many change overs for dairymen.
Back when parts were cheap
Plus the diesel parts are everywhere
Good luck

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #49  

Electromotive has some but they ain't cheap:

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #50  

See the latest video up.

Thanks!
Stuart
I tried to scan the relevant pages from my manual, but had to use my chromebook camera. Sorry the quality isnt great, but working on getting out the door for the holiday so had to do it on the quick without getting good lighting setup or anything. Take a look, and if you need any better quality pictures of the pictures, I can snap a few with my phone camera and upload them here, as long as you can let me know soon-ish. Otherwise, I can get them for you next week.

Attachments

• SCN_20231120_081521.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 42
  • SCN_20231120_081757.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 23