Metal building with no gutters?

/ Metal building with no gutters? #21  
A lot of folks do ground gutters here, typically cast in concrete with a drain at one end. Big $$.

Since I am cheap, I did it differently. Where the rain coming off the roof had already cut channel in the soil, I shoveled along that line to make a shallow trench about 6" deep. Then I lined that with heavy black plastic and covered the whole thing with #57 gravel. The ground has a natural slope around our house so all the water runs down and away. Has worked well for 9 years now.

/ Metal building with no gutters?
A lot of folks do ground gutters here, typically cast in concrete with a drain at one end. Big $$.

Since I am cheap, I did it differently. Where the rain coming off the roof had already cut channel in the soil, I shoveled along that line to make a shallow trench about 6" deep. Then I lined that with heavy black plastic and covered the whole thing with #57 gravel. The ground has a natural slope around our house so all the water runs down and away. Has worked well for 9 years now.
Thanks for the insight. I cannot afford to pour concrete for this. I don't think I will need the plastic. The pipe has holes that allow excess ground water to enter and flow down the slope. Smaller amounts of water should just seep into the ground and enter the water table. I may do as you did and let some rain draw the lines for me!

Right now I am thinking about renting a mini ex to dig the channel, but I may do it by hand. It doesn't need to be too deep, but 40' on each side is a lot of digging.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #23  
We are finalizing the details on our shop building. It will be 14' at the shoulder and cleaning gutters as we get older will be difficult to say the least.

I am considering extending the roof a foot or so beyond the walls and using a ground drain to channel the water away from the foundation.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any other recommendations for a decent alternative? Things to consider?

We get about 48 inches of rain a 2 inches of snow a year. Monthly rainfall goes from about 2.5 inches to about 6 inches.
Every older McDonalds I've ever seen were built with an overhang without gutters.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #24  
...I may do as you did and let some rain draw the lines for me!
That is how I did it as well. Gave me a nice straight line to see where I needed to dig the trench.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #25  
Every older McDonalds I've ever seen were built with an overhang without gutters.
What do McDonalds you have seen have to do with OP's building? Neither old or new McDonalds in OP's neck of the woods have gutters but all have flat roofs with scuppers and downspouts. By his discription op will have a gable roof.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #26  
Thanks for the insight. I cannot afford to pour concrete for this. I don't think I will need the plastic. The pipe has holes that allow excess ground water to enter and flow down the slope. Smaller amounts of water should just seep into the ground and enter the water table. I may do as you did and let some rain draw the lines for me!

That sounds like a french drain, which is OK, but it would let the ground get wet and possibly transmit moisture to the foundation or posts through the ground. The reason for putting down plastic is to keep the roof runoff away from the foundation. Don't even let it get into the soil near the foundation.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #27  
BTW, when I have put french drains up against a house for other purposes, we first waterproofed the foundation with a tar product. So you may want to consider that.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #28  

Right now I am thinking about renting a mini ex to dig the channel, but I may do it by hand. It doesn't need to be too deep, but 40' on each side is a lot of digging.
If you have room to create a swale in the dirt and put stone in the swale (along with positive drainage)you will be good. Pipes can always pose problems.
I’m dealing with a new to me house with drainage issues. If the original builder had build the back patio up 2”-4” higher it would have helped immensely…..and he had to haul the dirt off to create the issue!!

/ Metal building with no gutters?
That sounds like a french drain, which is OK, but it would let the ground get wet and possibly transmit moisture to the foundation or posts through the ground. The reason for putting down plastic is to keep the roof runoff away from the foundation. Don't even let it get into the soil near the foundation.
It is very similar. With the roof out a foot beyond the foundation plus there will be inflow to the pipe from above as well...I am thinking it should not let water sit next to the foundation. The problem with plastic is it also prevents runoff from getting to the drainage. It will be great for directly under the overhang. I worry about the water falling nearby that will get under the plastic and possibly erode underneath.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #30  
It is very similar. With the roof out a foot beyond the foundation plus there will be inflow to the pipe from above as well...I am thinking it should not let water sit next to the foundation. The problem with plastic is it also prevents runoff from getting to the drainage. It will be great for directly under the overhang. I worry about the water falling nearby that will get under the plastic and possibly erode underneath.
Rather than plastic, slotted, abs, drain line with a filter sock is recommended.