Metal building with no gutters?

/ Metal building with no gutters? #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
We are finalizing the details on our shop building. It will be 14' at the shoulder and cleaning gutters as we get older will be difficult to say the least.

I am considering extending the roof a foot or so beyond the walls and using a ground drain to channel the water away from the foundation.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any other recommendations for a decent alternative? Things to consider?

We get about 48 inches of rain a 2 inches of snow a year. Monthly rainfall goes from about 2.5 inches to about 6 inches.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #2  
Wow ! The pole building built by former owner of this farm, did not have gutters, but a nice overhang. Water came off the roof, dropped to the ground, and stayed there. Over the years, rotted out the heavily creosote treated poles. Driveway access (asphalt millings on soil) becomes a soggy mess after a rain. My job, this summer, is to cut the poles, dig out the sub-terrain portion of the pole, replace with Sono tube and concrete. Install gutters and sub-terrain drainage pipe. How I do wish former owner had put in gutters.
Figure your drainage and any exposure to standing water carefully.
Gutters I have added to other buildings on this farm, I have covered with gutter screen. I may have to clean those sometime, but I'm older than you, and will deal with it when it needs to be dealt with.
We each don't have to do every job. Hire what becomes to dangerous for an "old guy"

/ Metal building with no gutters? #4  
“Figure your drainage and any exposure to standing water carefully.”

I personally do not like gutters or downspout. If you can raise your slab/building enough for really positive drainage, and extend your overhangs enough, I would go that route along with some additional in ground drainage. Big overhangs and positive slope go along way!!

/ Metal building with no gutters? #5  
We are finalizing the details on our shop building. It will be 14' at the shoulder and cleaning gutters as we get older will be difficult to say the least.

I am considering extending the roof a foot or so beyond the walls and using a ground drain to channel the water away from the foundation.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any other recommendations for a decent alternative? Things to consider?
That's pretty much what I did, but it's all at a mid point on a hill, so everything drains well downhill. Very little stays in one place to puddle and what does dries up in a few days.

Drainage away from the building is critical.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #7  

We get about 48 inches of rain a 2 inches of snow a year. Monthly rainfall goes from about 2.5 inches to about 6 inches.

Make it 24" overhangs and at least a ground drain channel on the uphill side and you should be good to go. I say 24" only 'cause I like to be able to leave any windows in the shop area open during rain ;) Also makes its easier, and nicer, when you eventually add a lean-to without worry of leakage.

/ Metal building with no gutters?
We get some pretty serious winds. I am a bit concerned about making the overhang too long. There will be a lean-to on one side.

I am thinking if the drain will be directly below the drip line and have rip rap or similar fill where the water drips. Under that will be a corrugated pipe that will move the water parallel to the building and away toward a lower side of the property. This will not only move the roof line fall, but would move any other standing water near the foundation. Probably a couple of catch drains integrated into the system to get surface water.

/ Metal building with no gutters? #9  
None of mine has gutters. Chicken houses dont either. They are 600 ft long. Shop or house neither has gutters.

/ Metal building with no gutters?
None of mine has gutters. Chicken houses dont either. They are 600 ft long. Shop or house neither has gutters.
How do you handle the water coming off of the roof(s)?