Medicare Plan G

/ Medicare Plan G #11  
I choose Aetna - 16 years ago - and have had no reason to change.

/ Medicare Plan G #12  
We went with AARP (United Healthcare) They gave a discount for my wife and I when we signed up "together". They also discounted the premium 10%, going back up 1%/year for 10 years

/ Medicare Plan G #13  
I wouldn't give Humana the time of day. They are EXTREMELY careless with member health plan information. I don't see how they've stayed in business except through bribery. Watch what you sign. Your legal rights as well as your health benefits may be limited. And don't assign any life insurance to them.

Do background checks on any healthcare plan or company you are considering. They are in business to make money, not protect your health or give you a good deal.

Me? I'm on straight Medicare. My open-heart surgery at a premium hospital convinced me to stay that way. My cost was far less than what I would have paid in deductible and premiums for a single year. But that's me and I don't have a large reliance on costly drugs.

/ Medicare Plan G #14  
I wouldn't give Humana the time of day. They are EXTREMELY careless with member health plan information. I don't see how they've stayed in business except through bribery. Watch what you sign. Your legal rights as well as your health benefits may be limited. And don't assign any life insurance to them.

Do background checks on any healthcare plan or company you are considering. They are in business to make money, not protect your health or give you a good deal.

Me? I'm on straight Medicare. My open-heart surgery at a premium hospital convinced me to stay that way. My cost was far less than what I would have paid in deductible and premiums for a single year. But that's me and I don't have a large reliance on costly drugs.
Your comments about Humana is scaring me! I've had Humana for about 6 years now with no regrets - so far, and that's after having a previous heart attack.

Depending on which state and which county you live in determines the benefits and costs as well as which specific plan you elect. I 'had' a Humana plan that cost me $52/month plus a $40 co-pay. Humana's own rep called and suggested a slightly different plan with better coverage benefits as well as zero co-pay plus a $50/month supplemental food store allowance. The food allowance was reduced this year from their previous $75/month allowance.

I'm not sure how much better a medical insurance could be but I'm very satisfied with Humana so far. At my age, 83, I won't be shopping around for a better deal.

/ Medicare Plan G #15  
That's good until your healthcare providers quit taking that insurance company. The hospital/care network that I use has signs posted that they do not accept Humana insurances. I dont know if that was just their individual health plans or if it included the Medigap policies.
I ended up with an Etna plan through AARP as it was less expensive, even though I am not a fan of AARP but AMAC didn't have any comparable plans.

Last edited:
   / Medicare Plan G #16  
We did straight Medicare for a few years until moving to an advantage plan. My big issue with Medicare is that you need a separate prescription drug plan (that gets progressively more expensive each year you don't have one) that costs more per month than the cost of any medication either of us need. Prescriptions included in our advantage plan which costs no more than regular Medicare. I know some here don't like them, but they seem by far the best choice for us.
We use Aetna, which most providers seem to accept.

/ Medicare Plan G #17  
I'm going BCBS. We have an agent in town that is really good at assisting on these decisions. We looked at all of the above players as well as United and I checked into USAA. He told me basically the same as Tinhack said about Humana. We settled on BCBS because of some of the extra services they have. One of the things they will spring for is health club memberships. Also they had the best prescription coverage for me. That's one huge issue that needs to be addressed. Those companies all have different rules for prescription coverage. I signed up for Part A last year and am planning on fully retiring in January.

/ Medicare Plan G #18  
So many seniors that come here for Surgery have the F plan and almost always Blue Cross Blue Shield and seldom ever a problem.

I recommended F to anyone that asked but that option no longer exists for those now eligible.

Zero complaints for mom and they did us right.

I’m guessing it was too good?

/ Medicare Plan G #19  
If you on straight Medicare, you paid 20% of the total charge. Medicare only pays 80% and unless you have a supplement , you are responsible for the other 20%

Having said that, I have a Humana supplement N plan. I've been pleased with it. $96.00 per mo where I live

/ Medicare Plan G #20  
Plan G basically replaced the plan F. There's very little difference in the two.