Marvel Mystery Oil

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #41  
Been yrs since I posted & had to re-do everything to post......
MMO.......IMHO problem with it is it's got sooo hi in last 1 1/2-2 yrs.

Recently have a '69 Chev C30 that's got a Chev 350 in it. It's set for 33 yrs in NE Tx humid climate, not run or fired at all. Engine seized. Pulled spark plugs, filled them with MMO, poured some down thru carb, let set 2 days, pulled it to turn over engine without plugs & she turned over!!!!

Hauled her back to dry-land Oregon with MMO still in her.....had to change fuel tank & lines & fuel pump & plugs & oil & filter. New non-ethanol gas & new engine oil with MMO in both. Fired her up & run, very ruff.

Every time I fire her up she runs & sounds better & better. Going to do carb kit (4 barrel Rochester Quad) but I think MMO has helped me lots on her!

I run MMO in my 2 & 4 cyc engines gas & oil & had very good luck. Run it in my '90 Ford 350 Dually with my '94 Factory IDIT engine fuel & oil. I think I get bit better fuel millage with MMO but I wonder bout the cost.

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #42  
I have a can on the shelf but wouldn’t use it in an engine. I’m not a big fan of products that make a lot of claims. I bought it because I found a home made recipe for gun cleaner and oil and it was one of the ingredients. It works great for that.
Would you share that recipe?

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #43  
Don’t quote me on this but I have read that Stabil works by floating on top of gasoline and preventing air/moisture interacting with the fuel. I wonder if MMO works in the same manner.
One of the many service schools I had attended for small engines explained to the class that yes Stabil works by forming a layer or scum on top of the fuel to protect it from air/moisture. Which worked well except when the unit was moved and the gasoline sloshed in the tank then they claimed the layer was broken up and did not reform. Of course this could have been a sales pitch for another product. But they did say don't use the red, but use the blue (marine) Stabil.
Still don't believe any of these mouse milks, especially at the length of time they say the fuel will be good for.

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #44  
I use 2 ounces of white bottle Power Service and 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in every 5 gallons of road diesel fuel That I use in my 4 pieces of diesel equipment.
It seems counter productive to me that you have to add various elixers to just keep your diesel fuel viable. I agree the EPA is out f hand but then so are most bureaucratic agencies today. Same goes with regular gasoline.

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #45  
It seems counter productive to me that you have to add various elixers to just keep your diesel fuel viable. I agree the EPA is out f hand but then so are most bureaucratic agencies today. Same goes with regular gasoline.
I use it because of the low sulfur content of todays diesel. The Marvel Mystery oil also keeps the small computer controlled injectors in todays ag equipment. The Power House also raises the cetane number.

"Modern highway diesel engines tend to require fuel with a cetane number ranging from 45 to 55. Typically, regular no. 2 diesel has a cetane number of 40 to 42, while Cenex Premium Diesel has a cetane number of 47 to 52."

Those using Off Road Diesel should really in my opinion at least use use the Power Service. I use Road Diesel and still use it plus the Marvel Mystery Oil. .

A lot of the Over The Road Guys look for Truck Stops that dispense this.

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #46  
I used MMO in my 1946 Piper J-3 Cub with Continental C-85 engine. The older Continental engines were designed in the 30s for unleaded 73 octane gasoline. Today, only 100 leaded avgas is available at most airports. While considered low lead content (100LL) it still has four times the recommended amount of lead for the engine. As a result, they are prone to sticking exhaust valves.

In the aviation community it is widely debated as to effectiveness, not to mention not FAA approved. Still in the 30-60s the military bought the stuff by the barrel for air cooled aircraft engines. Old time mechanics swear by it.

I’ve had two stuck valves in Continental engines on two different planes. Since I began adding MMO to gas, I’ve not had another.

My dad was a career ag pilot beginning just after returning from WWII and A&P licensed FAA mechanic. He swore by the stuff and always said engine run with it were always cleaner and with less wear than those without…and he overhauled a bunch of aircraft engines.

So all that to add one more data point in support of using MMO. I tend to use Stabile in gas for my non-aviation stuff except my diesel tractor. I also try to run some Seafoam gas treatment to the gas engine items. It has eliminated recurring carb problems which plagued my Kawasaki four wheeler. I also only run non-ethanol in everything but cars and truck.

As for the earlier post by oldpilot regarding the Cub dying….that was due to improperly set up Stromberg carburetor. The ones on Cubs have no accelerator and will stumble and die if advanced too fast or with idle set too low. They aren’t terribly complicated being descended from tractor carbs, but they can be finicky if idle mixture and speed aren’t set correctly. BTDT.

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #47  
Been yrs since I posted & had to re-do everything to post......
MMO.......IMHO problem with it is it's got sooo hi in last 1 1/2-2 yrs.

Recently have a '69 Chev C30 that's got a Chev 350 in it. It's set for 33 yrs in NE Tx humid climate, not run or fired at all. Engine seized. Pulled spark plugs, filled them with MMO, poured some down thru carb, let set 2 days, pulled it to turn over engine without plugs & she turned over!!!!

Hauled her back to dry-land Oregon with MMO still in her.....had to change fuel tank & lines & fuel pump & plugs & oil & filter. New non-ethanol gas & new engine oil with MMO in both. Fired her up & run, very ruff.

Every time I fire her up she runs & sounds better & better. Going to do carb kit (4 barrel Rochester Quad) but I think MMO has helped me lots on her!

I run MMO in my 2 & 4 cyc engines gas & oil & had very good luck. Run it in my '90 Ford 350 Dually with my '94 Factory IDIT engine fuel & oil. I think I get bit better fuel millage with MMO but I wonder bout the cost.

A friend gave me a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil? I remember it from the 1960's but I have never used it. Where do you use it and what is it good for?
It was originally made as a top end lubricant. You can add it to your fuel tank and/or oil. It cleans and lubricates. They use to use it in big rigs to keep the coking of the injectors down. In the 60s they made an injector kit which consisted of a 1/2 gallon tank and a metering valve. It had a sight glass on it to adjust the dripping. You connected a hose from the tank to manifold vacuum, and at idle adjusted the drop to about 1 drip every 4 to 10 seconds. It would clean the top end and lubricate the cylinder, valves and rings. I worked in an auto parts store at the time and put one on my car. It is also a good air tool oil.

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #48  
A friend gave me a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil? I remember it from the 1960's but I have never used it. Where do you use it and what is it good for?
I've used many aftermarket products that have made crazy claims on how good they work, but they don't! However, there are at least two products I will have in my garage at all times ... Marvel Mystery Oil and Seafoam ... They DO what they claim, and then some. I'll substitute and add 1/2 qt. of MMO to an oil change just to keep things quiet and working correctly in my car and truck engines. Also use it in small (mower) engines as well. MMO has been around a long time for one reason ... it works!

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #49  
Would you share that recipe?
The recipe for gun cleaner
40% kerosene
40% mineral spirits
15% Marvel Mystery Oil
5% Rislone Oil

I forgot about Rislone Oil, similar claims to MMO.
IMG_2143.jpeg

/ Marvel Mystery Oil #50  
You seems to use it as a …. fuel stabiliser, isn’t it???