Market Watch

/ Market Watch #441  
Are you referring to when GWB was president? Because that’s the last time that fuel was less than $2 (for awhile). And during Covid shutdown.
No, he is just not talking about national averages.

1000001706.jpg

/ Market Watch #442  
There’s no longer an ability to defend the sharp increases in prices of fuel, food, insurance, housing and vehicles. Poor policies got us here and now everyone but the most strident defenders knows it.

These sharp increases are built-into everything now and will remain. We aren’t going back on whole goods. Fuel prices could subside with improved drill-here policies.

A (not so) “great reset” for the lower & middle classes.

Poop sandwich anyone? I have some generic hot sauce from the Dollar Store to take away the awful taste!
The market is skewed here.

Paying property taxes and insurance policies yesterday and think I’m doing ok until the accounts are drained…

Insurance up 54% and new assessments for property taxes but rents frozen and now max tent increase half of published CPI… slow spiral down the drain.

Some Real Estate down 30% from 12-18 months prior (SF East Bay)

Surprised to see sub $4 regular because same station at $5 not all that long ago and they sell a lot of gas.
Olympia area. The reservations are selling regular for $3.97. In town is $4.79.

Mike
Reservation seems to consistently have good pricing.

Nearby (Olympia) we have one Shell Station as the only station in the area going back to 1930 at Gull Harbor Mercantile and even being higher I always fill up there because they are nice people and even hold packages for folks.

Last edited:
   / Market Watch #443  
Are you referring to when GWB was president? Because that’s the last time that fuel was less than $2 (for awhile). And during Covid shutdown.
The price for regular gas here was $1.899 a gallon before the current administration. :rolleyes:

/ Market Watch #447  
Look at the graph. Prices were lower before the virus was a thing.
Your chart doesn’t seem to be consistent with this:

““U.S. regular retail gasoline prices averaged $2.60 per gallon (gal) in 2019, 11 cents/gal (4%) lower than in 2018. Gasoline prices rose steadily during the first quarter of the year, rising from $2.24 on January 7 to $2.90/gal on May 6, before gradually declining through the rest of the year.Jan 8, 2020”

Source: Energy Institute of America

Are you just talking about west Texas prices in refinery towns?

/ Market Watch #448  
Oil prices are a bit unusual from a historical perspective. The countries that have it vary using the price of it to influence world affairs to setting prices based on their own internal domestic needs for currency.

/ Market Watch #449  
Your chart doesn’t seem to be consistent with this:

““U.S. regular retail gasoline prices averaged $2.60 per gallon (gal) in 2019, 11 cents/gal (4%) lower than in 2018. Gasoline prices rose steadily during the first quarter of the year, rising from $2.24 on January 7 to $2.90/gal on May 6, before gradually declining through the rest of the year.Jan 8, 2020”

Source: Energy Institute of America

Are you just talking about west Texas prices in refinery towns?
Look closely. Those are Texas prices. You were comparing Willy's Texas current example to national historical averages. I showed you a comparison of Texas prices for consistency.

Either way, prior to Covid, prices were lower than they are now, and much lower than they have been for most of the past 3 years.

/ Market Watch #450  
Look closely. Those are Texas prices. You were comparing Willy's Texas current example to national historical averages. I showed you a comparison of Texas prices for consistency.

Either way, prior to Covid, prices were lower than they are now, and much lower than they have been for most of the past 3 years.
This is definitely sub-regional, because we’re seeing prices reported all over the place. I know that in my area $2.49 is about what we were paying pre-covid and certainly don’t remember any prices below $2 for the last ten years except for when there was oversupply during the COVID shutdown.