Market Watch

/ Market Watch #401  
It's the cumulative effect of inflation over the past 3 years that you're seeing issues with. Here we are seeing everything from 10 to 40% higher then it was in 2019. It just depends on the product.

Ohio has historically been a good microcosm of the rest of the US. Which is why they often use it for a test market for things.

Anyone who was already struggling to make ends meet in 2019 is really struggling now. And the old statistic that I remember hearing was 95% of the public is generally living paycheck to paycheck.

This economy does suck for about 95% of the United States. The few on here that don't believe it is sucking perhaps belong in the 5%.
Seems like the only people doing really well are millionaires and government employees.
Thats what happened in Argentina.
People eating their pets while overpaid public school teachers were on strike demanding even more money.
We aren’t there yet, but let’s not get even close to that.

Time to reel in wasteful gov___ent spending.

Last edited:
   / Market Watch #402  
Time to reel in wasteful gov___ent spending.
Sounds good, how? get Chuck to get rid of his expense account, car alllowance, security or may be just get rid of the towel people at the office gym?
Fire the border czar and staff since they appear to be accomplishing nothing?
Have Joe pay the expenses for the trips to the beach?

Here is a real big one, they sent all the worker bees to work from home. All the worker bees are getting Locality pay based on where the office is. DC workers get ~32.5% extra. Now, they are staying in WV, Pa, Md, wherever working from home and 0 commute expense to boot. Don’t see anybody asking for that back.

/ Market Watch #403  
I know you are replying to Scotty, but once again I have to say that your observations in the Midwest about business and freight slowdowns don’t match what we are experiencing in much of the west. I still see more trucks on the interstates than previously and the freight train traffic on the BNSF transcontinental route is also heavier than I have seen in a decade. Who knows what will happen with fuel prices, but they have been declining for the past month, and $2.50 regular gas is easy to find. Yes, prices are up for most everything, but spending is also up, so people are navigating the new prices, maybe from increased wages. It was reported that this year’s online and box store Black Friday and cyber Monday sales set new record highs. And last winter’s high natural gas prices have come down considerably.
Simplying observing trucks on the road isn't a good indicator of how the economy is doing. Freight is down, here is a copied message from smart truckings. Fuel has been high ever since B!D3N took over which is typical as it was when OB4M$ was president. IF freight doesn't pick back up id say this is a good indicator of what's coming. You can do a simple search yourself to see how bad freight has been this year. And as I said before real wages are down. So it doesn't matter if you make more. Raises are not keeping up. So naturally you r spending more. So just bc more money is being spent doesn't correlate to a good economy is you are suggesting.

The trucking business has been slow in 2023 due to several factors which includes ongoing supply chain disruptions along with an unstable economic environment. Reduced freight demand has also led to a freight downturn causing things to slow down in trucking

/ Market Watch #405  
Because the moderators and the owner tend to lean to the left.
Its no secret, so don't anybody get their undies all bunched up ok?

/ Market Watch #406  
Because the moderators and the owner tend to lean to the left.
Its no secret, so don't anybody get their undies all bunched up ok?
Well thats not surprising. Not that it matters. At first when I typed out his name and then posted and saw it was redacted. I thought maybe I typed something else but I was pretty sure I had not.

/ Market Watch #407  
Let me see-***** is the current President of the United States.

/ Market Watch #409  
Thanks, I agree. That's exactly what I've been trying to say. It's an accumulation. The gov't CPI calculator site below shows what you are saying in a simple way. Maybe in a way the gov't probably never intended.

Give it a try. The math works. I think you'll see that although some years are worse than others, the problem isn't any particular year or administration. It has been going on out of control for over 25 years.

Fixing the economy it is going to take some changes in how we work. That's what I've been saying. The gov't will never fix the economy. Fixing it is up to us to change how we work, buy, keep, and repair all the things we use everyday.
rScotty

I don't trust anything with .gov behind it any longer. They lie! I don't really need a CPI calculator to tell me how things have inflated, frankly no one does. We are all consumers and we remember how much we paid for things 2 or 3 years ago. I do anyways. I know that you walk out with about 70% of the groceries that $100 would get you 3 years ago; maybe less.

That goes for most consumable items also. We don't need the government to fix our economy but perhaps they could stop trying to destroy it!

/ Market Watch #410  
Simplying observing trucks on the road isn't a good indicator of how the economy is doing. Freight is down, here is a copied message from smart truckings. Fuel has been high ever since B!D3N took over which is typical as it was when OB4M$ was president. IF freight doesn't pick back up id say this is a good indicator of what's coming. You can do a simple search yourself to see how bad freight has been this year. And as I said before real wages are down. So it doesn't matter if you make more. Raises are not keeping up. So naturally you r spending more. So just bc more money is being spent doesn't correlate to a good economy is you are suggesting.

The trucking business has been slow in 2023 due to several factors which includes ongoing supply chain disruptions along with an unstable economic environment. Reduced freight demand has also led to a freight downturn causing things to slow down in trucking
This statement shows how U.S. freight transportation is changing. Last year I attended a conference focused on transportation of forest products. There was a presentation by BNSF railway. Their presentation focused on an ambitious infrastructure investment plan to become the favored transcontinental freight transport. The presenters stated that one train can transport the equivalent of 160 trucks at 20% of the fuel cost of trucks. It looks like their plan is working.

The rail freight market share is expected to increase by USD 29.29 billion from 2021 to 2026, and the market's growth momentum will accelerate at a CAGR of 2.15%.Oct 2, 2023

https://finance.yahoo.com › news

Rail Freight Transportation Market size to grow by USD 42.88 billion ...

Last edited: