Mantis Tiller

/ Mantis Tiller
Fortunately, I picked up a scorched mantis at a yard sale for 20 bucks. The owner's son ran it with straight gas. Use it for parts so I have a spare cap.

/ Mantis Tiller #12  
The only other thing that makes sense to me, is the vent hose is too long and/or submerged in the gas and not allowing it to breathe. Otherwise, I'm perplexed also.

/ Mantis Tiller
Nope. Checked it and confirmed the proper length with Mantis tech. Also matches the old one.
A question on the Husqvarna vent; Do you know if the vent keeps dirt from entering the tank? Is it capped similar to the standard tank vent? I haven't researched it yet.

/ Mantis Tiller #14  
Part of my diagnostic process would be to run fuel direct to the carb, using some other small engine fuel tank, or even a siphon from a gas can.

Bruce

/ Mantis Tiller #15  
Nope. Checked it and confirmed the proper length with Mantis tech. Also matches the old one.
A question on the Husqvarna vent; Do you know if the vent keeps dirt from entering the tank? Is it capped similar to the standard tank vent? I haven't researched it yet.

No, it would be open on the top. You could put a piece of foam like air cleaner or some other porous material over it.

Here's the valve
Husqvarna Craftsman Poulan Chainsaw Replacement Duckbill Check Valve # 5326119 | eBay

You can get one from your Husky dealer for less then $2 I can here anyway.

/ Mantis Tiller
Looks just like the inside piece of the stock vent. I can pop one out of an extra I have.

/ Mantis Tiller
Back again: It occurred to me- I have another problem that your thread might help me with... Have a Shindaiwa EB630 blower with an invisible crack in the bottom of the gas tank. Tried everything to patch it (vs a new one around 25 bucks). JBWeld worked for awhile. Do you think the Permatex Aviation would work? Cheaper than a new tank. Anytime i'm working with plastics i'm careful to make sure they're degreased. Can't get to the crack from the inside.....
And! still farting around with the Mantis. Runs like a scalded dog wide open for ten minutes now but-poof- quits. Just like before but longer.

/ Mantis Tiller #18  
The plastic fuel tank on my 1995 B7100 Kubota got a crack in the bottom of the tank when it was about 3 years old. The dealer did no have a new tank, and it was pretty expensive if I ordered one, so I patched it with JBWeld. It lasted just about a year before it started to leak again just when I had made a deal to trade it in on a new B2710.

/ Mantis Tiller #19  
Back again: It occurred to me- I have another problem that your thread might help me with... Have a Shindaiwa EB630 blower with an invisible crack in the bottom of the gas tank. Tried everything to patch it (vs a new one around 25 bucks). JBWeld worked for awhile. Do you think the Permatex Aviation would work? Cheaper than a new tank. Anytime i'm working with plastics i'm careful to make sure they're degreased. Can't get to the crack from the inside.....
And! still farting around with the Mantis. Runs like a scalded dog wide open for ten minutes now but-poof- quits. Just like before but longer.

I've done this to repair plastic outboard gas tanks, and maybe it'll work on yours if you want to give it a try.

After washing tank with warm soapy water I also spray some degreaser on area to be repaired. In my case I use brake cleaner.

Get/borrow a small soldering iron (like used for circuit boards) and when it's hot, trace the crack with it. On the red plastic tanks it will melt and re-fuse the plastic. Once you see the plastic starting to melt keep it moving. You can't stay on one spot for more then a second or two.

Once you think you've got it, put 5 to 10# of air to the tank and put a little soapy water on repair. If it bubbles, dry it and re-touch the spot. If you don't see bubbles your good to go.

I always try to trim a few shavings from the inside edge of filler, and will melt them into the crack as I go.

I've repaired several outboard tanks and put 20# of air in them, and they will hold it until I release the pressure.

Check YouTube, there's probably some examples there.

/ Mantis Tiller #20  
It's not the fuel, is it? Mine ran better with non-ethanol gas.