Maintenance Questions

/ Maintenance Questions #1  
Tractor
2023KIOTI NS 4710
I know this is a relatively easy manual lookup stuff but you guys are always way more helpful.
KIOTI NS 4710 - about 11 hours
1. I need to get a grease gun and do the fittings I suppose?
Do I typically need a special fitting or are they pretty much standard.
Can you over grease?
Does any grease tube work?

2. I took the brush cutter off a month or so ago and need to put it back on. would you typically refresh the grease on the PTO on tractor and attachment? is there a good way to do that? would there normally be additional grease fittings on a brush cutter that i should address? or just make sure PTO is good?

3. unrelated to maintenance but curious where you guys get the jaw attachments for your buckets? I'd prefer some single piece jaws that just bolt on to the existing holes. is that a thing? or do you generally have to get the whole bar?

thanks guys!!

/ Maintenance Questions #2  
I know this is a relatively easy manual lookup stuff but you guys are always way more helpful.
KIOTI NS 4710 - about 11 hours
1. I need to get a grease gun and do the fittings I suppose?
Do I typically need a special fitting or are they pretty much standard.
Can you over grease?
Does any grease tube work?

2. I took the brush cutter off a month or so ago and need to put it back on. would you typically refresh the grease on the PTO on tractor and attachment? is there a good way to do that? would there normally be additional grease fittings on a brush cutter that i should address? or just make sure PTO is good?

3. unrelated to maintenance but curious where you guys get the jaw attachments for your buckets? I'd prefer some single piece jaws that just bolt on to the existing holes. is that a thing? or do you generally have to get the whole bar?

thanks guys!!

Grease guns have a self adjusting head that will handle all grease points. Several years ago I invested in an electric grease gun, and when combined with the "Lock N Lube" head, they make greasing an easy and fast job. For 99% of grease fittings there is no penalty in over greasing other than making a mess and wasting grease. For bushings and the like, I grease until I see grease pushing out of the joint. Your manual will specify a grease type to use, however, really any NLGI2 automotive grease will suffice. There are many types to choose from. I use a synthetic multipurpose grease for everything. Some folks here have very specific grease requirements.

Brush cutters will generally need the pto shaft ends greased, as well as any wheels and spindle(s). The gear box generally uses gear oil, and should be on a replacement schedule.

I don't have a brush grapple, but if your bucket uses a quick attach setup (SSQA, Euro, or JD) I would get one that utilizes your existing quick attach. If you have a pin on bucket, there are several companies that make bolt on the bucket grapples. The bolt on grapples will almost certainly require some drilling. I doubt finding a complete pin on grapple (replacing the bucket) will be possible.

/ Maintenance Questions #3  
I use a generic pistol grip grease gun (almost a must with hose) with a "lock n lube" tip... Does everything I need to lube, truck/Jeep/2 riding mowers/tractor..... And yes it takes "generic" tubes of grease... I generally use any general purpose grease....

Yes you can over grease, but it really does not hurt anything, just makes a mess.... I usually wear nitride gloves and wipe off excessive grease when doing "grease" work...

grease-gun20230927100537.jpg

Last edited:
   / Maintenance Questions #4  
I have a manual grease gun( Lincoln) and an electric one(DeWalt). A few of the zerks on the FEL are recessed. The manual gun has a smaller tip that fits into the recesses.

I use a general purpose moly grease on everything. There are 34 grease points on the tractor, 3-point, rear blade, FEL and grapple - combined.

I grease everything 2X annually. Spring and fall.

I have one implement that requires a PTO shaft - Wally chipper. When I'm done with my annual chipping - tear the shaft down - wipe everything clean - regrease - reassemble. Store the shaft in my work shed. It's dry storage. The chipper is stored in one bay of my multi-bay carport.

I apply grease until I see some of the old stuff - oozing out. About two or three pumps. More than that leads to a real mess.

Last edited:
   / Maintenance Questions #5  
If you are asking about bolt on grapples...Look at WR Long.

They are nice to have to pick things up!!! Add a tooth bar for more function!!!

I also use moly grease on everything...

Attachments

• P1010200.JPG
    P1010200.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 40
  • P1080245.JPG
    P1080245.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 31
   / Maintenance Questions #6  
I settled on a nice LockNLube manual gun with a hose and their locking head. I pump the handle until I see grease come out somewhere, or until 3 strokes, whichever comes first. Note that the grease could happen to come out in a hidden spot; I think I'm getting grease to come out and just don't always see it. My machine lives in a barn, it's still pretty new and does light duty, and the greased locations very rarely get dirt or mud, and don't even get wet more than a few times a year, so I think I'm quite safe.

/ Maintenance Questions #7  
I've got a thread about the Vevor Air grease gun, that I ended up buying. It was nearly as cheap as a manual one, and it had the locking head on it. Would but again at the price (don't remember, but maybe $29).

I kinda like to vary the color of general purpose grease, red, grey, yellow, blue, ect; that way I can see when I get fresh grease start to come out.

Last edited:
   / Maintenance Questions #8  
On the pto shaft greasing point; a spray grease (not WD40/PB Blaster, but actual spray grease) or a oily rag (heavy oil, like gear oil) over the shaft will keep it from siezing up.

/ Maintenance Questions #9  
I do not use any grease on PTO shafts. It tends to dry out and bind up, I prefer any of the dry lubes/graphite.

/ Maintenance Questions #10  
Don't those just turn into a caked up nasty turb when they get wet?