Maintenance maintence maintence

/ Maintenance maintence maintence #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
So my Cat 246 has miserably poor heat, and with snow season here I figured I would see if changing the mixing valve would help, while I was at it I would chance oil and all filters, also try to address a new problem, difficulty starting in the cold. And while I'm at it, replace the hand throttle cable that had just broken. This is a 650 hour machine that is primarily used for grading a road and snow removal.. nothing especially heavy. Soooooo. I find the side cover where the heat air intake is has cracked and needs replacing ( definitely a cause of no heat ) check the fuses for the glow plugs and they are fine.. however the top of the glow plugs are rusted and snap off in the head... fuuuuug. Figured I would replace both throttle cables while I'm in there and every floor bolt snaps when I try to remove it..I'm thoroughly sick of maintaining equipment, if it's not one thing it's another.. it's getting old.

/ Maintenance maintence maintence #2  
Maintaining somthing when it needs it is one thing. Snapping bolts off as you're doing it takes the fun right out of it !

/ Maintenance maintence maintence #3  
I'm sure Cat would love to give you a low trade in value on a overpriced new machine. (but with great financing):mad:
Sorry about your rusty bolts, like 4get gto said, "take's the fun right out of it".

/ Maintenance maintence maintence
I'm sure Cat would love to give you a low trade in value on a overpriced new machine. (but with great financing):mad:
Sorry about your rusty bolts, like 4get gto said, "take's the fun right out of it".

You got that right. A few years ago I was going to trade it for a track machine. At the time it may have had 350/400 hours and Cat wanted to give me 17,000. I ended up buying Logering tracks for $9,000 and they have worked well. I looked at the Kubota SVL 95 and like it but boy is it spendy. Looking at the prices on Rock and Dirt, I don't think I will have any problem selling my Cat if I decide to.

/ Maintenance maintence maintence #5  
I hate maintenance sometimes, too. Only benefit I can see is I always learn something, and it keeps the machine ready for use at any time.

Corrosion related problems are especially annoying to me, as well. It's been a pleasant benefit that those issues are much less in my adopted home state of SC that it was in OH.