Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One?

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #91  
Never said it didn’t have emissions controls. All they claim is that it does not have a diesel particulate filter, and has no regen… which is true. Massey and Mahindra have seen this is of value to many buyers, and have used it to promote the brand.

Not necessarily true. Technically, a DOC is constantly regenerating once it gets to the proper operating temperature. Until then, it's basically just clogging it self.

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #92  
Not necessarily true. Technically, a DOC is constantly regenerating once it gets to the proper operating temperature. Until then, it's basically just clogging it self.
I don’t have to leave the hay field I’m raking for it to do so… So yes, for the operator, it’s completely different, which is what matters. The user experience is what matters, not what’s happening under the hood without my knowledge or intervention. Which is the reason manufacturers have chosen this.

But I think you know this

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #93  
You guys need to do some research on how diesel emissions work. DOC has been in use since the early 90s. DOC stands for diesel oxidation catalyst it does not "flter" it converts one gas to another gas. Your awesome DPF which stands for diesel particulate FILTER captures soot in a filter and relies normally on a DOC pre DPF to ensure your DPF is not damaged. Then your filter becomes plugged and raw fuel is used to super heat the DPF in an attempt to burn the soot and turn it to ash. A DOC is not clogging itself when not up to temp is just not effectively reducing emissions through the catalyzation process. The Messick cult runs deep.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #94  
You guys need to do some research on how diesel emissions work. DOC has been in use since the early 90s. DOC stands for diesel oxidation catalyst it does not "flter" it converts one gas to another gas. You awesome DPF which stands for diesel particulate FILTER captures soot in a filter and relies normally on a DOC pre DPF to ensure your DPF is not damaged. Then your filter becomes plugged and raw fuel is used to super heat the DPF in an attempt to burn the soot and turn it to ash. A DOC is not clogging itself when not up to temp is just not effectively reducing emissions through the catalyzation process. The Messick cult runs deep.
Did I hurt some feelings or something? Hang in there. It cures itself with time.

Anyways, you must have never seen or experienced or even paid for the repairs on a clogged DOC, exactly because it didn't get hot enough in the first place. There is plenty of example on this forum alone, let alone out there in the world.

By the way, I don't even watch Messicks videos. I couldn't care less about those videos. It's a seller after all.

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #95  
No you did not hurt my feelings you hurt my brain. If my DOC became "clogged" to the point it effected my engine performance I would remove and gut it. Which due to its sensorless configuration would cause no issues. Unlike a DPF which would require a software "tune" to remove, good luck with that. A DOC will clog just as often as a auto catalytic converter which is about never. It may wear and cause reduced efficiency in emission clean up. I knew my auto cat was "clogged" when I wnt to the emissions testing location and they told me I failed and needed a new cat. There is a reason that millions of vehicle owners "deleted" their DPF and tuned their diesel engines until the EPA went full authoritarian and started fining shop owners millions and jailing them for performing the delete service and tune.

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #96  
Did I hurt some feelings or something? Hang in there. It cures itself with time.

Anyways, you must have never seen or experienced or even paid for the repairs on a clogged DOC, exactly because it didn't get hot enough in the first place. There is plenty of example on this forum alone, let alone out there in the world.

By the way, I don't even watch Messicks videos. I couldn't care less about those videos. It's a seller after all.
which is the reason for the elevated idle rpm on the Mahindra tractors equipped with the DOC, and as far as getting it hot enough, it easily gets up to temp even in light load conditions, don't believe me? just put your hand on one after it has been idling for 10 min, then come back and tell us how under temp it was.

bottom line is that on a DOC equipped tractor the DOC is a non-issue for the operator you just have to put up with slightly elevated rpm at idle, I would prefer one with no emissions but since that is not an option with new, I will take a DOC system over a DPF all day long and twice on sundays.

There is also the point to be made that DPF systems have a DOC as well so if you are going to hate on DOC systems start with the DPF systems first.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #97  
This is just weird. I dont know of another forum or group in the diesel community that gushes praise on the DPF,SRC emissions systems. I suspect most here are not involved in the diesel community just tractors, and feel the need to justify their decisions as better than someone else. Create a account on the Duramax, Powerstroke, Cummins forum and as your first post share how awesome you think the DPF, SRC emissions systems are and how much they have helped to improve diesel engine reliability.

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #98  
Seems whenever I read a debate on Mahindra tractors the haters never owned one?

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #99  
I might be late to the party here but I am on my third mahindra tractor. I now have a 5155 and have loved everyone of them. I have been gradually upgrading in horsepower but also finding out what I like and what I don't. My first one was a 25 hp hydro. Nice tractor but never felt like I was able to get any power out of the hydro. Upgraded to a 33hp shuttle and it was also a great tractor but a little small for what I needed. The 5155 has it all for me.