Mahindra Models Compared

/ Mahindra Models Compared
Good information except the part where you say "I'm at a loss why", etc. that I shouldn't need more lift capacity i a different machine? I skid logs that I cannot lift now.

I am exploring a 2017 Mahindra 3540 HST with 212 hours as we speak. I'll be talking to the owner further after he gets off this evening. Id appreciate your sharing your thoughts on this machine. I know the specs already, but can use your experience on this model as it sits.
It's ~ 250 miles from me so i've not been up close yet, only pics and minimal talk so far. Thanks!

/ Mahindra Models Compared #13  
In skimming tractordata.com I see Mahindras mostly from themselves, TYM and Mitshbishi. I wish I was better versed to compare those factory sources. Models that seem to be in my HP area are: 2638,2645,2540,3540,4540 and 4530 maybe a few others. The 1538 doesn't gain me anything except new shine, bit smaller than what I've got. I prefer just enough hp & weight, with improved FEL lift but not a far larger footprint (overall weight, width, length) as found in some stronger tractors than my current one. I don't farm so no need for remotes.
You want more lift, and a Mahindra,....... for lowest possible price?

I've done far more research since that post you took the time to quote. I would appreciate comments on my last, most recent post?

/ Mahindra Models Compared #15  
I've done far more research since that post you took the time to quote. I would appreciate comments on my last, most recent post?
Hope when you see the Mahindra "up close" it is what you want.

As they say, "Time will tell"...

/ Mahindra Models Compared #17  
It's really simple: I was looking because I had a dead tractor since April. At my age, 77, time is even more precious than it once was? Plus we live on land and tractor is important here bouts.

I know log weights (woodweb.com has good charts for working in wood;) ) and have owned my WM LT15 sawmill for over 20 years-had a bunch of large logs on there. The mills frame width is well known too-28" and length w/o extensions is ~ 17'. I've sawed some larger by taking a slice here and there before and large logs are a chore on a manual mill so I use a chain hoist and nylon strap to turn the big boys. These mills are robust enough to allow any log that they might saw to sit there w/o issues. The off-grid cabin I'm building (when I have a tractor, which hasn't been since late April!) the foundation consists of concrete piers that have a connected assortment of oak 6x10 beams bolted to them. One particular beams weight is very well known to the ring finger on my left hand as it decided to squash that finger to about not much last fall while doing a two-man job alone. I drove my tractor out of the woods-~ a 15 minute run, then drove myself to our clinic to get whats was left of my fingertip attended to. I now have a decent newish fingernail.
That log pictured is far from my larger ones to be honest. I have a white oak that tipped which has a root ball thats maybe 15' in diameter and butt end is about 32". Extreme rainfalls for 3 years running has caused some big ones to no longer be held by thin hill soils. The biggest ones are around 135-150 years old on our place. I only saw for myself so I cut mostly falls.
Loaders specs I find on Tractordata.com are hard to decipher as brands vary in how they call out the loader capacities? Terms like breakout at pin or full height, etc. vary between them.
A utility tractor is commonly unable to off-load or load a log truck with high standards. loggers who run sawmills too, know this and use goosenecks to deliver to users like me who have tractors that only go so high or lack lift capacity or stability of typical log handling loaders. Some custom saw mill services use skid steers nowdays because of their power to load large logs.
As of yesterday, I found out my DK35SE is repaired (complete clutch job) and go up to fetch it today with a rollback truck. I was about to the point of buying another given some washed out roads and some pine trees I'd dropped lying with bugs feasting on them no doubt. I may buy anyway and move up a few years? -then sell mine, which looks newish and now runs great.
2016 Kubota MX4800 vs. 2010 Kioti DK35SE both geared tractors, similar hours, that is on my mind... and I have a certain fear of re-gen!
I own a 2014 3550, I believe the 3540 is the same basic machine, with slightly lower engine power. I think that the loader capability, and overall tractor capability will be a huge upgrade over what are you using now, especially for loader work like lifting logs onto the mill. Breakout force is 5100 pounds.

I have a woodland mills HM130 max, and regularly put logs up there that are 2000-2500 pounds, sometimes more.

The mental issue for me is that I can buy a new Kioti with a very strong loader thats a step above my current loader and of course with full warranty, etc., For very little more than a 2017 Mahindra 3540 HST with 212 hours. Most later model 3540/3550's are more than that new Kioti even if used. A Kioti NX4510 has a loader with spec of 61#'s more at full lift than the Mahindras. Like many I fret over re-gen engines but my dealer near me says they've seen very few issues as it's a less complex system than some others on the Kioti's.

/ Mahindra Models Compared #19  
The mental issue for me is that I can buy a new Kioti with a very strong loader thats a step above my current loader and of course with full warranty, etc., For very little more than a 2017 Mahindra 3540 HST with 212 hours. Most later model 3540/3550's are more than that new Kioti even if used. A Kioti NX4510 has a loader with spec of 61#'s more at full lift than the Mahindras. Like many I fret over re-gen engines but my dealer near me says they've seen very few issues as it's a less complex system than some others on the Kioti's.
After the last issue with my machine (front hub), I went and looked at the MX kubotas. I was ready to trade mine in. I found that for me, the fit and finish seemed worse than my tractor. In addition, it was harder to see over the hood, the machine was lighter, and some other disadvantages. I also looked at the M62, which seemed much better in most of those regards, but at a significant price increase. And the M62 had smaller front tires, and just didn't seem to be quite as good of a fit for how I use my machine. It's been 2 year since then, with 0 issues since then. Hopefully that trend continues.

I recently used a friend's brand new 1626 Mahindra, and I didn't much care for it, compared to mine. Far less power, and wasn't as nice to operate in many regards. If you have a chance, at least get in the seat of whatever you're considering. I really like my 3550, it's the right machine for me, and how I use it.

Also with the loader, like you mentioned, the specs can be a little tough to compare. If possible, for loading logs, take a look at breakout capacity. My machine will lift way more to 3 foot height than it will to full height. Lifting to 3-4 feet is about all you need for most sawmill tasks.

Great post above. Lately it's tough to be in the seat of much stuff as it's not there...