Mahindra Models Compared

/ Mahindra Models Compared #1  

kantuckid

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4820R
I'm currently looking at a 2019 1538-78 hrs , a 2015 3535-350 hrs and a 2016 3540-390 hrs. They are all VG appearance, nice clean machines, all geared tractors. The first two listed have 3 cyl engines, last one has 4 cyl..
Total weights vary upward from 1538 to the 3500 series ones. FEL power is much higher for 3500 series. Asking prices are all under $20k and similar distances away with the 3540 the higher priced starting price and slightly further haul distance to buy it. Only the 2019 will have warranty left. All are private sale machines, no sales tax, etc..

I'd like to hear from some owners in comparing these three machines. Of course I've looked @ Tractordata.com info but I'd like to learn more, especially from an owner.
My most common uses are small bush hogging tasks, a steep private road 1/2 mile long I maintain and skidding logs and limited fork loading of logs onto my sawmill for private use. Current tractor is a Kioti DK35SE which is close to the 1538 and surpassed by the last two mentioned, especially the loaders in the 3500 series.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Last edited:
   / Mahindra Models Compared #2  
The 1538 is not going to be an upgrade from your kioti. However the 3500 series is a lot more tractor, Very wide and heavy, i would think much better for the tasks you list

/ Mahindra Models Compared #3  
I'm currently looking at a 2019 1538-78 hrs , a 2015 3535-350 hrs and a 2016 3540-390 hrs. They are all VG appearance, nice clean machines, all geared tractors. The first two listed have 3 cyl engines, last one has 4 cyl..
Total weights vary upward from 1538 to the 3500 series ones. FEL power is much higher for 3500 series. Asking prices are all under $20k and similar distances away with the 3540 the higher priced starting price and slightly further haul distance to buy it. Only the 2019 will have warranty left. All are private sale machines, no sales tax, etc..

I'd like to hear from some owners in comparing these three machines. Of course I've looked @ Tractordata.com info but I'd like to learn more, especially from an owner.
My most common uses are small bush hogging tasks, a steep private road 1/2 mile long I maintain and skidding logs and limited fork loading of logs onto my sawmill for private use. Current tractor is a Kioti DK35SE which is close to the 1538 and surpassed by the last two mentioned, especially the loaders in the 3500 series.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
For what you've listed, I am uncertain why you are looking for a different machine.
That Kioti should do everything you're asking w aplomb. The Kioti fel is good for over 2500 lb lift.
The oak log pictured is 1800 lbs. You sure you wanna put something this large on your mill?

Attachments

• PA123772.jpg
    PA123772.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 198
   / Mahindra Models Compared
It's really simple: I was looking because I had a dead tractor since April. At my age, 77, time is even more precious than it once was? Plus we live on land and tractor is important here bouts.

I know log weights (woodweb.com has good charts for working in wood;) ) and have owned my WM LT15 sawmill for over 20 years-had a bunch of large logs on there. The mills frame width is well known too-28" and length w/o extensions is ~ 17'. I've sawed some larger by taking a slice here and there before and large logs are a chore on a manual mill so I use a chain hoist and nylon strap to turn the big boys. These mills are robust enough to allow any log that they might saw to sit there w/o issues. The off-grid cabin I'm building (when I have a tractor, which hasn't been since late April!) the foundation consists of concrete piers that have a connected assortment of oak 6x10 beams bolted to them. One particular beams weight is very well known to the ring finger on my left hand as it decided to squash that finger to about not much last fall while doing a two-man job alone. I drove my tractor out of the woods-~ a 15 minute run, then drove myself to our clinic to get whats was left of my fingertip attended to. I now have a decent newish fingernail.
That log pictured is far from my larger ones to be honest. I have a white oak that tipped which has a root ball thats maybe 15' in diameter and butt end is about 32". Extreme rainfalls for 3 years running has caused some big ones to no longer be held by thin hill soils. The biggest ones are around 135-150 years old on our place. I only saw for myself so I cut mostly falls.
Loaders specs I find on Tractordata.com are hard to decipher as brands vary in how they call out the loader capacities? Terms like breakout at pin or full height, etc. vary between them.
A utility tractor is commonly unable to off-load or load a log truck with high standards. loggers who run sawmills too, know this and use goosenecks to deliver to users like me who have tractors that only go so high or lack lift capacity or stability of typical log handling loaders. Some custom saw mill services use skid steers nowdays because of their power to load large logs.
As of yesterday, I found out my DK35SE is repaired (complete clutch job) and go up to fetch it today with a rollback truck. I was about to the point of buying another given some washed out roads and some pine trees I'd dropped lying with bugs feasting on them no doubt. I may buy anyway and move up a few years? -then sell mine, which looks newish and now runs great.
2016 Kubota MX4800 vs. 2010 Kioti DK35SE both geared tractors, similar hours, that is on my mind... and I have a certain fear of re-gen!

/ Mahindra Models Compared #5  
If you are off loading logs, I'd want a larger machine as well.
That pic of my log went no higher than 36" off the ground when I used the front end loader to stack it. Don't trust anything higher than my head when sitting on the tractor.
To off load, I'd want something with a fel in the 3000# range capacity or more.

All my logs are "my logs" and come from the our woods not a log truck. My WM mill is close to the ground and on very large diameter logs I use the ramps and forks in combo to nudge them on the mill bed. Off-loading log trucks needs a very heavy machine to be safe which will have a strong loader that reaches high as well.

/ Mahindra Models Compared #7  
None of the listed tractor would be an upgrade at all.
Your Kioti is a decent machine, if you need more tractor, I recommend look for more tractor.
For example: Kioti RX series, Mahindra 6000 series, Kubota M7060/M6060, etc.

/ Mahindra Models Compared #8  
None of the listed tractor would be an upgrade at all.
Your Kioti is a decent machine, if you need more tractor, I recommend look for more tractor.
For example: Kioti RX series, Mahindra 6000 series, Kubota M7060/M6060, etc.
If you are comparing fel lift capacities and general size, you are correct.
The Mahindra 3540 offers a power shuttle where you can shift on the fly and no clutch needed. It has provisions for both cat 1 and II with a flip of a ball. It offers 7 pin connector if you are trailering.
It is assembled in Texas with loader made in the USA and has an open work station for easy on and off and no regeneration.
I am at a loss why the op thinks of a larger machine than what he has for what he is doing.

In skimming tractordata.com I see Mahindras mostly from themselves, TYM and Mitshbishi. I wish I was better versed to compare those factory sources. Models that seem to be in my HP area are: 2638,2645,2540,3540,4540 and 4530 maybe a few others. The 1538 doesn't gain me anything except new shine, bit smaller than what I've got. I prefer just enough hp & weight, with improved FEL lift but not a far larger footprint (overall weight, width, length) as found in some stronger tractors than my current one. I don't farm so no need for remotes.

/ Mahindra Models Compared #10  
The 1538 would be a step down from what you have.
Numbers starting with the 25's and 26's are Tyms.
35,s and up are Indian.
The 45's are dinosaur tractors with over 3K lift capacity. They are archaic in design and based on the old International tractors of the 50's and 60's.
There is no gear sync in the 45's and you would have to stop to shift and go in reverse. Levers are between the legs. They are very strong for their size.
You best try and find one you can sit on and move around a bit to see if their old world ergonomics fit in your world.
Before I'd go with the 45, I'd go with the equivalent Kubota and for just about equivalent money. Much better tractor and i work at a Mahindra dealership.