Mahindra 5155 Anyone?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #541  
The fluid put in at the factory is considered a "break in" fluid meaning it may not have all the properties of a top notch hydraulic fluid.
It's simply a cheaper fluid for the factory to put in.
Clogging is not the issue. Fine metal findings that can go thru screens will not clog the screens.
It's your tractor but working on these things, I'd recommend changing out the initial fluid and putting in a quality hydraulic fluid.
You won't have to do it again for a long time but getting out any initial contaminants such as water, metal findings and cheap hydraulic fluid is advantageous to do as soon as as you can.
That is why the factory maintains the initial 50 hr oil change.
are there 2 Arrows on here? or am i losing my mind?
guess who posted this

No, a 5 gallon bucket of Mahindra hydro oil is $129. They may have topped it off however but check the level yourself to see if it is up to snuff. Also, check the fluid level in the front axle if they didn't do it.
You don't really need to change out the hydro fluid at 50hrs as it doesn't degrade or pick up much moisture in that time.
Any minute contaminates are readily picked up by filtering.

That's still a pretty good price so I'm wondering what their hourly rate was.
Here in the east, we'd get about $250 labor for the two hrs or so we spend for a complete service but that includes draining and filling w new fluids including front axle, coolant check, checking bolt torque specs, regreasing, tire pressure check, filter clean or replace, brake and clutch rod adjustment and proper toe in adjustment along with 3 pt drop adjustment and then cleaning the tractor.
Done carefully, all this stuff takes some time.
Just the labor and new hydraulic fluid would come to at least $500 by themselves here.

Save your old air filters if they are not compromised in any way and blow them out gently from the inside and reuse them next year. They are the most important filters on your tractor.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #542  
are there 2 Arrows on here? or am i losing my mind?
guess who posted this

No, a 5 gallon bucket of Mahindra hydro oil is $129. They may have topped it off however but check the level yourself to see if it is up to snuff. Also, check the fluid level in the front axle if they didn't do it.
You don't really need to change out the hydro fluid at 50hrs as it doesn't degrade or pick up much moisture in that time.
Any minute contaminates are readily picked up by filtering.

That's still a pretty good price so I'm wondering what their hourly rate was.
Here in the east, we'd get about $250 labor for the two hrs or so we spend for a complete service but that includes draining and filling w new fluids including front axle, coolant check, checking bolt torque specs, regreasing, tire pressure check, filter clean or replace, brake and clutch rod adjustment and proper toe in adjustment along with 3 pt drop adjustment and then cleaning the tractor.
Done carefully, all this stuff takes some time.
Just the labor and new hydraulic fluid would come to at least $500 by themselves here.

Save your old air filters if they are not compromised in any way and blow them out gently from the inside and reuse them next year. They are the most important filters on your tractor.
Yeah, there were two arrows. One was ignorant and the other educated. Don't listen to the first arrow. Or, you don't have to listen to any arrows if you wish.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #543  
Yeah, there were two arrows. One was ignorant and the other educated. Don't listen to the first arrow. Or, you don't have to listen to any arrows if you wish.
lol all cool man, it is really funny because i was wracking my brain on where i had heard the part about not needing to change the hydro fluid (other than my dealer) and i just found this. btw i plan on changing mine in the near future.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
lol all cool man, it is really funny because i was wracking my brain on where i had heard the part about not needing to change the hydro fluid (other than my dealer) and i just found this. btw i plan on changing mine in the near future.
I’m in the process of changing mine now at 100 hours. They want you to change the filter and clean the strainer at 50 hours. And since the fluid has to come out to do that anyway, I figured I might just as well change it as opposed to trying to capture it all in a spotlessly clean drain pan, without having any dirt etc fall in it during the process. So while the tractor is basically inside for the winter, I’m just changing it and upgrading to a better fluid at the same time. I took the strainer to work and ran it in our ultrasonic cleaner today. So it’s all clean and ready to go back in on Saturday when I’m back at the property where the tractor is at. Just found a small amount of very fine iron dust on each of the (6) magnetic drain plugs and a few small particles on the strainer screen. So that’s encouraging.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #545  
I’m in the process of changing mine now at 100 hours. They want you to change the filter and clean the strainer at 50 hours. And since the fluid has to come out to do that anyway, I figured I might just as well change it as opposed to trying to capture it all in a spotlessly clean drain pan, without having any dirt etc fall in it during the process. So while the tractor is basically inside for the winter, I’m just changing it and upgrading to a better fluid at the same time. I took the strainer to work and ran it in our ultrasonic cleaner today. So it’s all clean and ready to go back in on Saturday when I’m back at the property where the tractor is at. Just found a small amount of very fine iron dust on each of the (6) magnetic drain plugs and a few small particles on the strainer screen. So that’s encouraging.
well since i busted a hose over the weekend mine got drained for me lol

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
well since i busted a hose over the weekend mine got drained for me lol
😂 Well that sucks. Hopefully it happened close to the barn. Can you expand on what happened?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #547  
😂 Well that sucks. Hopefully it happened close to the barn. Can you expand on what happened?
the hoses powering the fel run under the right side of the tractor and are exposed down low, it appears that I ran over something while pushing brush that pinched the hose against the loader frame and put a small hole in it. It just drips while the fel is not in use but sprays under the tractor when i use any function in the loader, i'm assuming that it is the supply of hydraulic fluid to the open center system so is under little pressure until i divert fluid to do something.

BTW the 5 year warranty does not cover it (not that i expected it to) the loader is only covered for 1 year lol.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #548  
DaBear...I recall you had busted gears in your front axle last? year and they repaired it rather quickly. Has it been fine since then? Did you ever get any feedback from Mahindra on what caused the failure? Thanks.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #549  
the hoses powering the fel run under the right side of the tractor and are exposed down low, it appears that I ran over something while pushing brush that pinched the hose against the loader frame and put a small hole in it. It just drips while the fel is not in use but sprays under the tractor when i use any function in the loader, i'm assuming that it is the supply of hydraulic fluid to the open center system so is under little pressure until i divert fluid to do something.

BTW the 5 year warranty does not cover it (not that i expected it to) the loader is only covered for 1 year lol.
Skid plates should be in your future.
I cannot begin to list the damage mine saved me from while traversing through the wood.
Last year I dismounted it just to hammer out the dents and indentations made to the diamond plate.
Like every day I hear something bang into it when skidding.
My underneath would have been ripped to shreds if I didn't have this on.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #550  
DaBear...I recall you had busted gears in your front axle last? year and they repaired it rather quickly. Has it been fine since then? Did you ever get any feedback from Mahindra on what caused the failure? Thanks.
no response from the manufacturer, it has been fine since except for my other self inflicted pain.

keep in mind i typically put the grapple root rake into the dirt and just drive over everything until i build up enough to stop me them close the grapple and pick it up. i sometimes end up running 50 feet into my brush and then have to back up because there is no turning around at that point. if something gets kicked up under the tractor it often hits stuff and some times i uncover things that i was not expecting.

Last edited: