Mahindra 5155 Anyone?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #1  

Andy1969

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5155, 53 Farmall Cub. Yanmar 2210DB
I currently have a Mahindra 1538 Shuttle. It’s been flawless since new and has done everything reasonable that I’ve asked of it. But at times a bigger footprint and more weight would be a benefit for me on my hilly property and for maintaining my 900 foot gravel driveway. My dealer is working to get me a new 5155 to trade up to. He doesn’t have one nor has he had one yet. There is a 5145 at another dealership that I looked over while they were closed. (I wouldn’t buy from them as I have a great relationship with my current dealer). Anyway I like what I saw but was wondering if anyone here has either a 5145 or a 5155 and would offer up your thoughts on it so far. Things you like, don’t like, capabilities etc. I was looking to upgrade to a 5555, but those are phased out now and essentially unavailable. So the 5155 looks like a good way to go and it has some things the 5555 doesn’t have. Thoughts?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #2  
I can not contribute to your general question. But if you settle for the 5145, it's only 7 hp more than you already have.
Would your upgrade really only serve the purpose of a bigger machine while hp are enough in what you already have? You may want a bit more of a difference. Otherwise you might feel like you've lost.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
I’m definitely going with the 5155 for the reasons you indicated above. The only reason I referenced the 5145 was because a dealer had one on the lot for me to see and judge the physical build. I really liked the 5145 from a build standpoint and it looks very heavy duty. The extra weight and size will be a big benefit on my hilly property. The 5155 is on order and my dealer is hoping to have it for me in November.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Well I took delivery of the new 5155 today!
E24B4D33-7CC0-4FD1-B73A-85961129018C.jpeg
C9F65C70-476C-41A0-9E74-CBFC8F679D7D.jpeg

Attachments

• 4C9B81F4-A8A8-4BAF-9E23-6F1C7F89D2E3.jpeg
    4C9B81F4-A8A8-4BAF-9E23-6F1C7F89D2E3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 499
   / Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Yes they did. And I’m glad as I’m not getting any younger. Much easier to fuel up.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #7  
I like that in a lot of ways- but it would make it easy for a stick or something to jump up there and puncture it...well, good luck with it! May your Mahindra never break down or run out of fuel!
-Simon

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
They did a pretty good job of protecting it with metal guards underneath and on the sides. I crawled under it last night and everything seems pretty well guarded under there. Hydraulic lines linkages filters etc are all tucked up and or shielded pretty well. Hoping to get outside today and play a little.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #9  
I can not contribute to your general question. But if you settle for the 5145, it's only 7 hp more than you already have.
Would your upgrade really only serve the purpose of a bigger machine while hp are enough in what you already have? You may want a bit more of a difference. Otherwise you might feel like you've lost.
It isn't so much the hp he is looking for but more stability. Also, A tractor that weighs 5000 lbs with 20 hp, will outwork a 3000 lb tractor with 40hp for push/pull grunt.
HP doesn't mean much if you can't put it to the ground.
Weight means more.
The capacity for loader and 3 pt is appreciably higher as well from his old tractor.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
It isn't so much the hp he is looking for but more stability. Also, A tractor that weighs 5000 lbs with 20 hp, will outwork a 3000 lb tractor with 40hp for push/pull grunt.
HP doesn't mean much if you can't put it to the ground.
Weight means more.
The capacity for loader and 3 pt is appreciably higher as well from his old tractor.
Exactly. The 1538 was great and flawless. But I have very hilly property and a very long (900 feet) gravel driveway that changes grade over 100 feet to maintain. So I never really needed more power but I did have times when I needed more pulling power and more stability to reduce my pucker factor. This extra power and lift capacity both front and rear wouldn’t be a benefit without the added weight. By the specs the new unit should weigh in just over 8k lbs with loader and filled rears. So grading my driveway will be a walk in the park now with my box blade. I also have an old Farmi skidding winch that will have a much more solid base now hooked to this tractor. I have to skid logs out of a ravine that was a real challenge with the 1538, not because of power but because of weight. I can only speak hypothetically until I get to actually do all of these things with the new tractor, but I have no doubt the extra weight and footprint will make all of these things easier.