M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ?

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #41  
No the creeper on the M62 is different. It is a little forward/back toggle switch that actually moves the machine...its not a gear. Meant specifically for backhoes to slightly reposition the machine when you have the seat facing backwards towards the boom.
Oh good grief! I know nothing of that. Shut my mouth. I'll learn from you guys.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #42  
The M59 was to replace M5030DT. The M5030 was bigger, heavier and 7’ wide. Thought about wheel extensions for the M59 at 6’ wide. Added 2” rear extensions to the B26 made a huge difference on hilly ground. Have learn to live with M59 as is. It is at times a scary strong machine. The backhoe outriggers do need improvement to compete with bigger BH. The optional rubber pads help. Made mine wider for side stability. M62 has another 2’ reach. Do miss the Detroit type locker front axle on the M5030. The M59 has higher FEL lifting capacity and industrial tires up front are better to handle heavier type loads. Slightly smaller helps in woods too. Bigger machines aren’t always better. In and around buildings and utilities repair the small B26 really shines.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ?
So my nephew is pushing me toward a 75 hp compact track loader because you can get implements for anything. He's in the construction business and ran the pre-M59 kubota's in his business before he transitioned to CLB's. He had nothing negative to say about the TLB's other than maneuverability, speed and the need to have a service truck with an air compressor to blow out the radiator every 20 minutes if you're mowing. He is looking at it from a production standpoint and he also has other equipment available.
The CLB's may or may not be better on slopes. I'd love to have a CTL with a front mower with stump grinder teeth but don't think it would meet my long-term needs. The heat/AC cab is tempting but it's not a tractor.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #44  
Good many options and tracked machines definitely have advantages on slopes.

Big advantage tractors have over skidsteers is egress to cab and labor. Important for a one man workforce. Often picking up limbs/trees then having to chainsaw to length while suspended. Same for pulling post and removing a section of fence. Getting in/out picking up limbs in the driveway. Hard and dangerous climbing over the bucket, grapple or forks with a load of a CTL. Backhoe doing utility repairs, firewood, rock stacking takes getting off and on a lot. Use the backhoe for a crane that I can also operate from the ground. M59 is easy to get on and off.

A friend with a M59 and I have been thinking the advantages of mini-excavator for some projects. Kubota KX040, -57, -121 share the same bucket quick system with our M59s and could share attachments. Still be able to transport with trailers using now.

We do use our M59s for landscaping maintenance and don’t tear up the ground.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #45  
So my nephew is pushing me toward a 75 hp compact track loader because you can get implements for anything. He's in the construction business and ran the pre-M59 kubota's in his business before he transitioned to CLB's. He had nothing negative to say about the TLB's other than maneuverability, speed and the need to have a service truck with an air compressor to blow out the radiator every 20 minutes if you're mowing. He is looking at it from a production standpoint and he also has other equipment available.
The CLB's may or may not be better on slopes. I'd love to have a CTL with a front mower with stump grinder teeth but don't think it would meet my long-term needs. The heat/AC cab is tempting but it's not a tractor.
Your nephew sounds like he has good reasons for what he does, but that is a whole different world.
As far as the implements go, the M59/62 has the same Skid Steer Quick Attach (SSQA) front loader a Compact Track Loader (CTL) does, and remote hydraulics to run implements, too. If you want more flow rate that's available via the PTO.

For some construction guys there is a funny sort of bias towards tracked machines that is almost religious. I don't know what it is because I don't lean that way. But for those who do, the answer is always tracked machines. You are not going to convert a track guy. They are believers. They bounce along on that short wheelbase with grins on their faces... It's like a cult.
Just to prove that point, there is even a Denver-based Bobcat CTL ballet group!! That's right, the whole group gets together to spin and dance and wave their buckets in syncrony like the possessed beings they are. You'd have to see it to get the full effect. It's probably on U tube somewhere.

Good on them. I'll admit that the next TLB ballet group I see will be the first.

It makes sense the way your nephew thinks when he has other people running the CTL and is paying them to work by the hour. But that isn't me. I'm doing the work myself because it working my land is a hobby. My goals are comfort and enjoyment, not speed or efficiency.

In construction, CTL operators have a helper - called a swamper - who does the outside work. For doing the kind of dirt work you are looking at you will be on and off the machine every few minutes. That's no fun on a CTL where you have to crawl over the bucket each way. Although CTLs are mega fun when you are blasting around on a flattish surface. Put a CTL on your list of things to have once in your life.

As far as maneuverability and speed, if going any distance that goes to the tractor... not the CTL. We often travel a few miles on secondary roads with the TLBs. Being old, forgetful, and lazy, I sometimes drive back to the barn for lunch or tools. It's a nice ride, but It's hard to imagine doing that in a CTL. Take both for a spin on a rough road and see what you think.
rScotty

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #46  
I wonder if CTLs now have "comfort ride" that is a common option on full size TLBs? Our JD310 has that system. It is a hydraulic damping system that reduces FEL bucket bounce when driving distances on rough ground.

Without that damper, road speed on any machine with a FEL is limited by bounce. CTLs bounce a lot for other reasons, but it would help.

I think Smokey figured out how to install that damping system off a larger Kubota onto his M59?
After seeing what he did, I bought most of the parts to do the same for our M59 - but haven't mounted it yet.
rScotty

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #47  
I bought some land for an investment, hunting and as a retirement piddle project. I've got 215 acres of land that's 50% moderately sloped thinned pines and 50% steeper sloped hardwoods and hardwood bottoms. I need to maintain the existing roads/trails and create/improve others so I can access the the rest of the property by SxS. I don't want (nor can I afford) a fleet of used vehicles that may or may not need constant repairs. I don't have enough years left to spend it working on equipment. Would prefer to buy new with extended warranty so someone else is responsible for repairs.

I'll be putting in a septic system, waterline, building pad, maintaining/building access roads, food plots and some brush hogging. Was considering a M62 since it appears to be muli-use piece of equipment. I am concerned about stability driving up and down some of the access areas with the M62 TLB. The worst current road is in the range of 36% to 40% (19 to 21 degrees). I can go up and down with my JD 4710 with loaded R4's but I have also slid down too. The M62's additional weight and the backhoe weight concern me. Don't want to flip over.

Stability on the side hills worries me too. Those areas can be more in the 25% (15 degrees) range. Will the M62 be more tippy than the JD 4710? How does the backhoe affect the tippyness?
Here is what I have done to my L39 for stability and to increase loader capacity. See: L39 Fuel Pump Turn Up. Zoom-zoom, sort of. My neighbor has an SV95 CTL, getting rid of his fairly useless L3901. CTL faster stronger, more maneuverable than TBL, but good to have the swiss Army Knife.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #48  
I stand by my statement. I don't see anything in the OP's original post saying he needs to be able to tow a machine around everyday for work maintaining gardens in town using a half ton pickup truck.

An M62 is still too little tractor and too little TLB, worst of all worlds for 215 acres. The OP already has a 4710 which isn't a whole lot smaller on the 3PH than the M62.

View attachment 853269
If you need to drive screws, buy a screw driver. One of these won't help you very much.
A 10-12 tonne excavator will save your and very much complement your TLB.

Attachments

• 20190419_131937.jpg
    20190419_131937.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 30
   / M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #49  
We have a Kubota M59 TLB, which is the M62 predecessor with a slighly shorter BH boom.
Yes, the Kubota TLBs are noticablly more stable on hills than a tractor because they weigh twice as much and because a lot of the weight is low down due to heavier duty construction.

You can also add rear wheel weights and spacers.

But with that many acres, and considering the price range you are already looking into I would recommend a full size TLB. Something like a low hour Deere 310G - actually any model 310 from the older E to the newest ones would be more stable than the Kubota. And they are comfortable, too. The JD310 stability and durability is in a whole different league from homeowner TLBs like the Kubota. I know that for a fact as we live in the mountains and have both.

Stop by your yellow (commercial) Deere shop and try one out.
Our 310 has a buddy seat plus room for the dog when we drive it to town.
Whatever you get, get it with a thumb. I try to go straight up and down hills. When I have to traverse a hillside I pick up a log with the hoe+thumb and swing it alongside the uphill side of the tractor as a counterweight. It helps a little with the pucker factor. Better yet, get a dozer to make you some roads.
There will still be plenty of work for the TLB after the dozer leaves.
rScotty

View attachment 853077
Why get the same type of equipment, just up sized?

Attachments

• 20200525_174910 (1093x1280).jpg
    20200525_174910 (1093x1280).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
   / M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ?
So I went to my local Kubota dealer yesterday to see if they had a M62 I could look at or if they were getting any in. Asked the counter guy, and thought I was speaking Greek for a minute. Another guy walked up and said he wasn't sure they could sell them. They are not a construction dealer. He checked and they can order them. He said they could maintain it as well. I like the dealership "A" but buying a M62 from them didn't give me the warm and fuzzies since they don't appear to have any experience with them. Am I just being paranoid?