M5040 Loader Joystick failure

/ M5040 Loader Joystick failure #1  

muckdp

Tractor
2010 Kubota M5040HD
A couple days ago, my joystick failed in the furthest down (towards the driver) position. It no longer rests in the "center" position (I poorly drew in where the normal center position would be in green, in this photo). My left, right, and up joystick positions all work as expected, but I have no "down" joystick position anymore. Any troubleshooting suggestions I should start looking at to figure out what's going on? I'm hoping it's linkage, and not hydraulic, but I'd welcome any help, since I've never had to dig into any of this stuff before.

Joystick.jpg
IMG_8460.JPG

/ M5040 Loader Joystick failure #2  
I can't help very much here but have a few comments. What you describe sounds to me like a mechanical issue with the joystick base and associated structure, not your hydraulics. I am sure there are cables running from the base of the joystick to the loader valve buried under the tractor. I would not know where to start other than to take the cover off the joystick base (as you did for the second picture) and try to see what is loose, broken, or out of place. How to dig deeper under the joystick is the next puzzle. If you have access to a shop manual it would be a big help. Most likely they are on-line and can be downloaded.

One thing you might do is go to an experienced dealer and ask if the joystick loader valve control assembly is sold separately. Also ask if he has diagrams. Of course they do have access to diagrams but whether you get hold of a real knowledgeable guy in the parts dept is a whole other issue.

/ M5040 Loader Joystick failure #3  
Your joystick has a lock which I can see in your photos.
Engage the lock which can only happen with the joystick in the neutral position.
Under the right side of the tractor about where a footrest would be is the control valve protected by a simple to remove shield.
With the joystick locked in neutral, the cables (two of them) moving the spool valves will be holding the valve spools in their neutral position.
There are adjusting nuts on the joystick cables. One of these may have come loose and the two spools will not be in line with each other
Remove the pins which tie the valve spools to the ends of the joystick cables. The valves should want to be parallel to each other.
The adjusting nuts are used to help you position the cable ends to line up with the ends of the valve spools.
If adjusted properly the pins securing the cable ends to the spools should easily slide in while the spools remain in neutral.
forum M5040 joystick.jpg

Ask questions if you need more info.
Dave

/ M5040 Loader Joystick failure
Your joystick has a lock which I can see in your photos.
Engage the lock which can only happen with the joystick in the neutral position.
Under the right side of the tractor about where a footrest would be is the control valve protected by a simple to remove shield.
With the joystick locked in neutral, the cables (two of them) moving the spool valves will be holding the valve spools in their neutral position.
There are adjusting nuts on the joystick cables. One of these may have come loose and the two spools will not be in line with each other
Remove the pins which tie the valve spools to the ends of the joystick cables. The valves should want to be parallel to each other.
The adjusting nuts are used to help you position the cable ends to line up with the ends of the valve spools.
If adjusted properly the pins securing the cable ends to the spools should easily slide in while the spools remain in neutral.
View attachment 812782
Ask questions if you need more info.
Dave
Thanks Dave, that's really helpful and gives me a good place to start. I'll report back one way or another.

/ M5040 Loader Joystick failure #5  
Sometimes the little retainer pins that keep the cables attached fall off and then the pin falls off. I had this happen so much on the Kubota loader that I kept a little bag with spare retainer pins and pins.

/ M5040 Loader Joystick failure #6  
You can remove that plastic cover after removing a few bolts. Then you can see what's going on with the cables below. I've seen a few problems with that package. Most have been fasteners coming loose and were easily resolved.

/ M5040 Loader Joystick failure #7  
Dave M7040 -- great help with the diagrams. Don't you think there is a possible mechanical problem at the base of the joystick? Where the cables attach ? Something either broken or loose?

/ M5040 Loader Joystick failure #8  
Dave M7040 -- great help with the diagrams. Don't you think there is a possible mechanical problem at the base of the joystick? Where the cables attach ? Something either broken or loose?
Possible If not in the cables or attaching hardware, there is a spring somewhere inside the valve that may have failed. A trip to the hydraulic shop for repair vs. ordering a new one would be quite cheaper.

/ M5040 Loader Joystick failure #9  
JWR
I certainly agree there are other possibilities.
I try to pick the ones I have experienced and which I found easy to decern if the cable to valve spool where the issue.
If the owner finds my suggestion is not the problem he can quickly move on to what will be more difficult and complicated.
Unless someone is experiencing an issue with a valve detent, problems inside the valve just don't seem to happen in my world
Dave M7040

/ M5040 Loader Joystick failure #10  
You may have a cable failing, my LA1153 loader joystick stopped going into float and then the lever would sit off center with in neutral, few days late the cable snapped and I lost all up and down. Cable was easy to replace and dealer had it in stock. I replaced both cables while I had it apart.