Ls mt122 hydraulic flow increase

/ Ls mt122 hydraulic flow increase #1  

Truautorepair000

Tractor
ls mt122tlbm
Hey, just looking to be pointed in the right direction. I have a 2021 mt122 tlb, and it's fine, as is. I use the backhoe a lot, and could benefit from more gpm from the hydraulic pump. I want the backhoe and loader to be a bit faster. The restriction could be hose diameter, or possibly limited by the pump it comes with. Has anyone messed with theirs? Perhaps found a replacement pump with higher output at the same 2000psi pressure rating? I've done research and so far I've come up with nothing substantial. I did build a test gauge and confirmed my pump output is at perfect pressure, so I've never needed to adjust it.
Any help is appreciated!

/ Ls mt122 hydraulic flow increase #2  
Deplorable Diesel has a pump that might work. A bit pricey, but adds a few GPM over the stock pump. If that pump doesn't work, they may know a supplier who could help you out (or they could special order for you).

Another option, depending on the amount of tinkering you want is to pull your existing pump, measure the critical dimensions (rotation/spline count/shaft length & diameter/Flange bolt distances/input & output locations/etc) & see what surplus center has that might work.

Last edited:
   / Ls mt122 hydraulic flow increase #3  

LS MT122​

LS MT122 tractor photo
2016 -
MT1 Series
Sub-Compact Utility tractor
Hydraulics
Pump flow:4.6 gpm
17.4 lpm
Total flow:6.7 gpm
25.4 lpm
Steering flow:2.1 gpm
Dimensions
Wheelbase:56 inches
142 cm
Length:97 inches
246 cm
Width:47 inches
119 cm
Weight:1433 lbs
650 kg

Last edited:
   / Ls mt122 hydraulic flow increase #4  
I could benefit from more gpm from the hydraulic pump. I want the backhoe and loader to be a bit faster. The restriction could be hose diameter, or possibly limited by the pump it comes with.
I did build a test gauge and confirmed my pump output is at perfect pressure.
Nothing to be done except to move up to a heavier tractor with a greater flow pump.

If you install a greater flow hydraulic pump on your SUBCOMPACT tractor, engine power will be diverted to the new pump. Additional pressure on existing lines may cause catastrophic hose failures, certainly early failure of fabric and rubber hose lines. Your power steering will go wonky. Shifting of HST may or may not be affected. HST is hydraulic motors.

Throttling up will spin your existing pump a little faster, that is all that is practical.

If this slowness is bothering you now, it will make you crazy by 500 engine hours.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR

Last edited:
   / Ls mt122 hydraulic flow increase #5  
Does the MT122 have one pump for implements and another for steering? If yes you might be able to upsize the implement pump a little but you would have to do like axlepops states and determine what displacement pump you have today. Then determine mounting pilot flange, shaft style, rotation direction, port style.

With this information you could then look for larger displacement pump.

Big question how much faster do you want to operate? 10 % increase you are probably OK. 25% and you will probably have problems with hose sizes, filter flow capacity, torque capacity of pump drive components etc.

/ Ls mt122 hydraulic flow increase
I saw the deplorable diesel offering and it looks similar to what this model has. The cost is a bit steep, considering it won't be used for commercial applications. Maybe someone will chime in and say they were able to bolt up a more affordable option.

/ Ls mt122 hydraulic flow increase #7  
Hey, just looking to be pointed in the right direction. I have a 2021 mt122 tlb, and it's fine, as is. I use the backhoe a lot, and could benefit from more gpm from the hydraulic pump. I want the backhoe and loader to be a bit faster. The restriction could be hose diameter, or possibly limited by the pump it comes with. Has anyone messed with theirs? Perhaps found a replacement pump with higher output at the same 2000psi pressure rating? I've done research and so far I've come up with nothing substantial. I did build a test gauge and confirmed my pump output is at perfect pressure, so I've never needed to adjust it.
Any help is appreciated!
How many hours on your tractor now ?

/ Ls mt122 hydraulic flow increase #8  
Based on the specs posted by jeff, the DD 16cc pump will be too big -- it's for bigger tractors. If the size/flanges/shaft/rotation/etc. are the same as yours, the standard 14cc LS pump at 8.4 gpm might work as an upgrade. You probably have a 10 or 12 cc pump as stock.

But, if you modify, you throw your warranty to the curb. I'd wait till warranty is over before doing any performance mods.

/ Ls mt122 hydraulic flow increase
So I'm at 170 hours. My dealer isn't super helpful, they are more of a landscape supply place and the technical questions maybe puzzle them. I'd be a buyer if there was a $500 upgrade. Nothing crazy, maybe 2cfm more. That may not seem like much, but it's close to 30% upgrade. I just really need to stay with this size tractor and no bigger, for my needs.

/ Ls mt122 hydraulic flow increase #10  
It may be doable if you want to go to the trouble of figuring out the size of the current pump, along with the mounting flange size, shaft size and spline number and port location.

Then try to figure out a replacement based on that. Just keep in mind that is quite common for tractors manufacturers to change one little thing on the pumps, usually the spline teeth quantity, so you get stuck with buying the factory pump and not something off the shelf.