lowe's wrong chain saw in box

/ lowe's wrong chain saw in box #1  

rocco611

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
I thought I purchased a Craftman s205 chainsaw , but when I got home there was a troy built chainsaw in the box. also it had a damaged primer bulb. I took the troybuilt saw back to lowe's in the craftsman box I recieved it in along with the receipt. The manager looked up the troybuilt model # said the troybuilt saw was a home depot exclusive , and that no way did that saw come in that box from this store. I asked them to check another box. they brought one to the counter. unsnapped the case looked inside the closed the case quickly then told me they would not take back the saw. they didnt let me look inside the case. also the they said the saw I had fuel and oil residue in it, they said they cannot take back power equipment with fuel or oil residue . do new saws get tested before shipping? if so a saw new in the box that had been tested would not be returnable ? Anyway that was my only bad experience with lowes. not sure I will shop there again though

/ lowe's wrong chain saw in box #3  
I think somebody purchased a new Craftsman saw, put their old Troybilt saw in the case and then returned it and somebody wasn't paying attention and it ended back on the shelf and you unfortunately purchased it. And also most stores will not let you return products that gas has been put into. Has to do with state and federal fire codes.

/ lowe's wrong chain saw in box #4  
Nowadays you have to open the box in the store for any high priced items. I worked at Lowe's for 3 years, it happened so much. People would purchase something, return it within a couple days. Most of the time it appeared it hadn't been open. The return desk wouldn't open it, back in the department no one would check, just back on the shelf. Pretty crappy
Power equipment was the worst, people would buy a lawnmower, use it for a couple days, return it as broken (mowed their field) grass still sticking out the bag. Had a dewalt bandit, would buy the cheap 20volt drill, and the XR drill, put the cheap one in the expensive box and return it. Or just put an old burned out corded one back in, and return it. Gotta open It in the store

/ lowe's wrong chain saw in box
the troybuilt saw in the box was new as near as I could tell . other than some residue in the tanks. not any liquid but a film.

/ lowe's wrong chain saw in box
I had no Idea it was that bad with returns. I got the impressing from the return desk staff that they thought I was a criminal.

/ lowe's wrong chain saw in box #7  
if its boxed, expensive item at any store, i open it at the check out stand to verify its all there. my wifes motto with home depot and lowes...."if there are 2 parts or more...something will be missing". and alot of people are scum. i wanted some new spark plugs for chain saw. went to lowes and looked on shelf....on every rack there were empty blister packs hanging. people cant afford $3.99 for a sparkplug and steel them. oh brother.

/ lowe's wrong chain saw in box #9  
Had this happen to me at Walmart years ago, bought a CD player. Box had an old cassette player in it. Walmart took it back. These days, one has to open the box to check before paying for it. It's a side effect of generous return policies. There's always someone that will take advantage of the system.

/ lowe's wrong chain saw in box #10  
Didn't know this was happening with power tools, but open blister packs are common. Also, shoe boxes with old shoes. That doesn't even require the return process. They put on the new ones and walk out.