Cannot start Stihl 009

/ Cannot start Stihl 009 #1  

nancyk

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 5055e 2015, Ferris IS2000z 2007
I have 2 Stihl 009 chainsaws, my husband bought them years ago as he had a bad back. He is no longer here to maintain the saws so I do my best to keep them going. They get non-ethanol fuel and Stihl oil. They are used lightly, only by me. Not often, but it is nice to have 2 running saws with me when I work on trails or a downed tree, in case one gets stuck. I bought a 40v battery powered saw last year, it is ok for small stuff but just does not have the power of a conventional saw. The one Stihl 009 has had a hard time starting for years now, once it starts it runs like a top but starting is a bear. Last week I did 20 pulls on it and finally gave up. Last year I took it into the local co-op and, after attempting a few pulls, the man looked at the sparkplug. He said "there is no gas on the sparkplug". He kept pulling and finally the saw started and sounded and ran great. I asked the man if there was anything he could do so that I can start it , even after it sits for 3-4 months. He said "the saw is old". Any ingenious ideas out there, for ease of starting? I do not mind getting a new lightweight saw but if I can keep using these two saws I would rather do that.

Last edited:
   / Cannot start Stihl 009 #2  
The issue with the little Stihl's is the same as the Poulans. The intake stub / boot is too short and the carb is too close to the cylinder and it gets heated and the fuel vaporizes in the bowl too soon. If I were you, I'd get rid of them. The newer ones, Stihl has fixed with a better intake stub and insulation gaskets.

/ Cannot start Stihl 009 #3  
Old is not an reason to not start harder than it did when new. The gaskets/diaphragm and parts in the carburetor can get stiff and not work properly. A good saw mechanic would replace the gaskets/diaphragm to see if that helps. There are a few hoses to inspect and replace. Many saws have an impulse line that helps the fuel pump in the carburetor work. Note that many shops replace a carb because they say it cost less to replace than to fix. Might be true if you can get a quality replacement. Here is a video that shows how easy it is to rebuild an 009 carb.

Picture of carb parts. The black gasket with the metal disk in the middle is the fuel pump. They get stiff sometimes and do not pump fuel like they should. New gasket for fuel pump can often fix a hard to start 2 cycle engine. https://www.amazon.com/LETAOSK-Chainsaw-Carburetor-Rebuild-Repair/dp/B07KHTQXHH
41nG03qvsAL._AC_US40_.jpg

Checklist
Fuel line to tank and fuel filter is new?
Impulse line is new?
Carb parts new with quality parts?
Crankcase seals good? That is a bit more involved.

/ Cannot start Stihl 009
For at least the first 15 years of their lives, they were both easy to start. One or two pulls at most. Even my husband had no concerns starting them. He would not like them now. Thanks for your input, I believe RuralKing sells Stihl, much as I dislike walking into that store.

To JimRB, thanks for your detailed thoughts on replacing parts. My husband would do that in a flash, and we have all the tools. I may take it to another local shop and talk with them. Or I may take it apart with your post as a guide. We'll see.

/ Cannot start Stihl 009 #5  
By the way I have owned a Stihl 210 for 14 years. I know it is not old but it starts like new which is 2 or three pulls with full choke for it to pull fuel into the carb then it will pop and another pull or two after going to half choke to start. No primer bulb so it takes a bit more to start than other 2 cycle tools I have that have primer bulbs to get gas into the carb first.

/ Cannot start Stihl 009 #6  
It's NOT the carb, it's the intake stub. Carb is fine. I'm not gonna argue. I'm done as usual.

/ Cannot start Stihl 009 #7  
Also have a 009, my favorite.
Arborists love them.
Mine always starts on 2nd pull.
Suggest that a possible 'cure' might be replacing the 'in tank' fuel filter, they do get clogged up over time.

/ Cannot start Stihl 009
2 years ago the saw got a new fuelfilter/sparkplug/air filter. Problem is, when it is at the shop and it does get started, once it starts it runs like a gem and re-starts easily. It is only when it sits for a while that is is so hard to start. It has been suggested to put a few drops, or spray, a bit of the fuel mixture into the carb before attempting to start.

/ Cannot start Stihl 009 #9  
the 009 is a great little saw..... IMHO your issue is going to be cost of service versus saw value. Probably best they go to a new home or person with the skills and patience to keep them alive and thriving. They are getting long in the tooth for infrequent user who doesn't service themselves.

As you know from your post #8 taking in for retail service is costly. Rebuild or replace a carb is going to cost you more than the used saw is worth UNLESS you can do it yourself or find someone who knows how to do carb rebuild or replacement plus fuel pickup line, etc...

I would suggest you sell them both and invest in a better quality battery saw. They have come a long way in last couple of years and much better for the very infrequent user like yourself. Or if battery out of the question I am going to guess what you can sell them for plus what a service would have cost you will buy you a brand new little gas Stihl which will be good for another 10 - 20 years with only minimal maintance.

IMHO going through my local shop I see alot of older saws that the service is going to cost more than the saw is worth.

/ Cannot start Stihl 009 #10  
2 years ago the saw got a new fuelfilter/sparkplug/air filter. Problem is, when it is at the shop and it does get started, once it starts it runs like a gem and re-starts easily. It is only when it sits for a while that is is so hard to start. It has been suggested to put a few drops, or spray, a bit of the fuel mixture into the carb before attempting to start.
On my009 the 1st pull is always full choke.
Next pull is choke off and it always starts.