low volume, no-spill fueling method

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #11  
I have seen zinc colored gel in my sediment bowl when I flushed the fuel tank after I knew water entered after pressure washing. Can I assume the water attracted all zinc particles to form the gel. I will check the fuel filter before next use - and I did quit using the galvanized can last summer.

Once again, very useful info provided by this board - Thank you

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #12  
Great post!

I haven't got over how easy it is to fill my Kubota, I can stand on that nice almost flat floor with a 2.5 gal can and a big mouth funnel and not spill a drop. My Ford was a reach-over-the-loader-arms affair that is a nightmare. Of course that 27 hp 1710 sure was a lot more miserly with diesel then the 35 hp Kubota. And the BX? I can't remember when I put fuel in it last! Most of my engine oil, hydraulic fluid, diesel etc, jobs eventually get figured out so I know which funnel and procedure works best, I printed it up for my shop wall as I'd forget by the time the fluid needed changing. There's all kinds of weird angled funnels available. I also made a list of all the tools needed to drain everything so I wouldn't have to go look, guess, take 3 wrenchs (non of which would be right).

I have 4 tractors, trucks, cars etc. I can remember my childhood street addresses, but not the good stuff /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

del

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #13  
Rob,

<font color=blue>zinc is a fairly noble metal </font color=blue>

I think I spotted a "typo". Please don't return the favor./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Zinc is one of the least noble metals. The noble metals are Graphite, Platinum, Hastelloy, Titanium, stainless. Nickel.....

The least noble metals are Magnesium, Zinc, Galvanized steel, Aluminum Alloys, Cadmium....

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method
Glueguy, the one I'm using is a lever-style hand pump just like Item# 109936 which is shown on your Northern link. I bought it at a Carquest Automotive store for $30. Napa has them too.

What I'm using is just plain black rubber hose which I bought at Ace Hardware. Its black rubber with internal cloth threads. The cross section looks like a radiator hose. Should I be looking for something else?

Rob, I'm using one of those red painted military-style Jeep cans. I just bought a new one and I'll check, but I don't think those are galvanized. Thanks for the info.

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #17  
<font color=blue>I think I spotted a "typo". Please don't return the favor</font color=blue>

Like I said, I'm hardly a chemist /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I'm sitting here typing and staring at my CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics wondering if I should take the time to educate myself... nah, I'll go shopping for a landscape rake instead /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thanks for the correction TwinkleToes /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #18  
jyoutz, it would be pretty tough to determine what kind of rubber your hose is without a lab analysis. We've got a guy at work who could tell by the smell, but he's been around rubber for a long time /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

If you are concerned, you could slice off a couple of rings and pop one in some diesel for a week or so then compare the size and "feel" of the two rings. If the soaked one is significantly larger/smaller or softer I wouldn't use it. Kind of a backyard version of a fluid aging/volume swell test /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #19  
If I need a hose to transport fuel, I usually go to an outboard motor dealer and buy some hose that is used for connecting gas cans to outboards. That isn't always the right size, so the next step is to find adapters. So far I've been lucky and been able to cobble something together.

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #20  
Rob,

That was a knit pic, your post was "right On" for the stuff that matters. I am constantly fighting corrosion on my boat so I have been forced to read. Nigel Calder, has a book "Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual" which has a very good "How To" section on corrosion. I was somewhat reluctant to post the "knit pic", this board is very considerate when it comes to correction of irrelavant detail. If the true meaning can be gleened, good enough is good enough./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Al