low volume, no-spill fueling method

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #1  

jyoutz

Tractor
Kubota MX6000
I thought that I would post this because, I'm sure that lots of people would like to figure out a better way to fuel their compact. My 4100 doesn't use much fuel, only has a 6 gal. tank. I usually only go through about 5 gals. a month unless I have a special project. I haven't wanted to buy in large barrel quantities, due to the problems associated with aged fuel, So I have been filling my 5 gallon can. Of course, the fuel always leaks out of the pour spouts and dribbles down the can, your hood, and down your pants leg, when fueling directly from a can. Last week after ruining a pair of shoes, I decided there must be a better way. I haven't been too impressed with the cheapy looking plastic pumps you see around. I bought a regular steel, pump-handle barrel pump for 55 gallon drums. Then I bought a steel 5 gallon military-style jeep fuel can. The barrel pump threads are exactly the same as the gas can. So I cut off the intake tube to fit the can length, screwed the barrel pump into the can, and attached a 4' section of rubber garden hose to the pump. Now, I can leave the fuel can on the ground or floorboard and pump the fuel into the tank with no spillage or mess at all. I hope that this helps out others who are having the same problems I was having. I plan to get a second can for gas and just use the same pump for each can (of course I should probably paint the letters gas and diesel on each can to avoid disasters).

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #2  
Jim -

I'm making a note about this approach. Sounds like you're onto something. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I probably use less fuel even than you, and so far I've been getting by okay with the method I posted back in this thread. Sadly, the pictures that went along with it seem to have disappeared. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

I'll have to ask Muhammad about that.

HarvSig.gif

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #3  
Sounds like a neat trick jyoutz and I may have to "borrow" your idea as I have the same problem filling my 790. A couple of watch-out-fors: 1) Diesel doesn't like galvanized steel so make sure your metal fuel cans aren't galvanized. 2) "Garden variety" garden hose may not be compatible with fuel. For just a couple of feet it may be worth going to a the farm store and getting actual fuel hose. It's bound to be a lot cheaper than chasing contamination through your entire fuel system.

Thanks again for the idea /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #4  
Jim,

That's a great solution! I too have that problem, and have been just "dealing" with it. Last time I added fuel, I used a big funnel, because the fuel starts pouring out of the portable conatiner before you can "aim" properly /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.

Where are good sources for these pumps?

The GlueGuy

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #5  
Why does diesel fuel not like galvanized steel??

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #6  
Rob, just what is the difference in the hoses? I've wondered about it, but my pump nozzle is threaded for a garden hose, so an old short piece of garden hose is what I've been using for the last couple of years.

Bird

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #7  
This warning is included in my John Deere operator's manual, under the section on fuel storage.

<font color=blue>IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE GALVANZED STEEL CONTAINERS - diesel fuel stored in galvanized containers reacts with the zinc coatings in the container to form zinc flakes. If the fuel also contains water, a zinc gel will also form. The gel and flakes will quickly plug fuel filters and damage fuel injectors and fuel pumps.</font color=blue>

DFB

18-30366-dfbsig.gif

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #8  
Answering my own question, I went to Northern Tool, and poked around until I found hand pumps. Here's a whole bunch of them ranging from el-cheapo, to deluxe: Northern Hand Pumps

Thanks again for the tip Jim. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The GlueGuy

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #9  
Now I remember where I saw this, it was MY owners manual. I don't know the specifics (I'm not a chemist), but we have a lot of trouble with zinc based coatings at work. If I dig waaaaay back into the chemistry classes, zinc is a fairly noble metal which is why it is used in corrosion protection. It sacrifices itself in a reaction with the oxidizers to protect the base metal. Trouble is, the corrosion by-products tend to slough off in great volumes and clog everything they run into. Not a problem on the exterior sheet metal of your truck, it just falls off. In your fuel or brake system it can spell plugged filters and failed seals. Some fluids are worse than others for the corrosion reaction. SAE is relaxing the zinc corrosion protection standard for brake fluid as it affects the high temperature properties and by now no one uses zinc coatings in brake systems.

As for the hoses, again I'm not a chemist. I only know that certain rubber and synthetic rubber compounds are inert to fluids such as diesel fuel and others tend to break down in the presence. As an example, EPDM rubber is excellent in brake fluid but swells and softens considerably in hydro-carbon fuels. Opposite is true for nitrile rubber. Considering the relatively low cost of using hose spec'd for diesel, I'd opt for that instead of risking potential damage to my fuel system.

BTW, if you ever need a cheap paint stripper use brake fluid... wicked stuff /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Hope this helps /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ low volume, no-spill fueling method #10  
GlueGuy,

Thanks for that link, if you can't find one there you like probably can't find one.

DFB,

Thanks for posting "galvanized not for diesel." In ignorance I darn near used a galvanized tank, went with polyproplene because it was bigger. Dodged a bullet/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Al