Lost an hour to DST

/ Lost an hour to DST #132  
When, I was running survey crews in southern Nevada, we used to leave the office in the summer at around 0430. That way we got out and set up just before sunrise. Which gave us about 3 hours of working time before the heat waves got serious enough you couldn’t focus on a line rod.

I got a new boss one summer, when the guy I worked for got promoted. New boss decided that we couldn’t start until 0700. Then he wondered why we weren‘t getting much done. He and I argued about it for about a month. I finally took him out with us and let him look through the instrument. Couldn’t see a plumb bob at 100-feet. Finally decided that we could start whenever we pleased.

I can’t imagine that job without daylight savings time. And, most towns, and the counties have working hour, noise restrictions. 0700 before you can make 90-db at the property line. And with overnight lows in the 90s, it is hot by 0800 with DST. That extra hour of morning before the sun came up made a real difference.

/ Lost an hour to DST
It sounds like a lot of people now don't get out of bed until 08:00.
One of the local radio stations asks a trivia question every weekday, usually starting with “According to a recent survey...”
One day the question was
“According to a recent survey, the majority of adults do this between 10:00 and 11:00 on Saturday morning.”

The answer was “Get dressed.”

At that point the day is half gone, so why even bother.

/ Lost an hour to DST #135  

At that point the day is half gone, so why even bother.
The wife likes to sleep in on the weekends. I usually wake up around 7-8 on Saturdays and Sundays. So I slip out of bed, go out and get the paper from the mailbox, watch some news and read the paper. Then we'll make breakfast around 10 when she gets up. So many times, we don't get dressed until after 11 on the weekends. We then go out and do whatever we had planned for the day. We try and get our chores done throughout the week so we can do whatever we please on the weekends.

/ Lost an hour to DST #136  
I couldn't do that.
It’s actually a nice time to drink coffee and listen to the radio on the morning drive and a good time to decompress on the way home. It’s a choice I made to live in a rural area and not in the city.

/ Lost an hour to DST #137  
It’s actually a nice time to drink coffee and listen to the radio on the morning drive and a good time to decompress on the way home. It’s a choice I made to live in a rural area and not in the city.
Oh, it's not that I couldn't do it. I should have specified that I'm required to be on call with my job. Same as my last employer of 30 years. I could get called in 2, even 3 times per day, for small, 15 minute jobs like tripped breakers, tripped freeze stats on air handlers, condensate pumps not working, things like that. I get 2 hours minimum of pay for going in. So I'd spend 80 minutes driving for 2 hours pay three times in one day. That's what I couldn't do.

/ Lost an hour to DST #138  
I leave home at 7:35 and get to work at 7:48. I'm kinda mad, because BEFORE they improved the roads with the Smart Streets Project, it used to take me 7 minutes. Now it takes 13. 🤣
For some people, if we were on standard time, would then be riding a bike to work. What a nice way to start the day!

/ Lost an hour to DST #139  
For some people, if we were on standard time, would then be riding a bike to work. What a nice way to start the day!
I would ride a bike, except, there is no way to avoid going through the west side of South Bend. Not the best of areas for anyone on foot or on a bike. It's really a shame, because the city put in a silly amount of bike lanes and nobody uses them but cars passing people on the right.

/ Lost an hour to DST #140  
I would ride a bike, except, there is no way to avoid going through the west side of South Bend. Not the best of areas for anyone on foot or on a bike. It's really a shame, because the city put in a silly amount of bike lanes and nobody uses them but cars passing people on the right.
The silly thing is that the guy that put those silly bike lanes in is now in charge of the country's transportation.