Lost 3-point lift when I disconnect the Loader?

/ Lost 3-point lift when I disconnect the Loader? #1  

MadJack

Silver Member
Tractor
86 Ford 2110 4x4
[this subject is on a 1986 Ford 2110 fwd/diesel]

So I am changing lout the old and tired 2-spool valve, to a new 3-spool. Of course, I didn't have all the parts on hand mostly because my working on tractors knowledge is limited to the past few years.
Anyway, I checked the fitting and inputs to be sure they matched, removed the old valve and mounted the new one and hooked up 5 of the six original hoses. Turns out I need a couple taller fittings due to the 3/6 working ports being close to each other, and I knew I would need to order hoses once I got to this particular point. (everything on it's way now)

But I needed to just back the tractor out of its (outdoor) work place for another quick job.
I unhooked the quick connects to the loader so I could start the tractor for just about a minute to move it and noticed the 3-point hitch wouldn't lift. Seems very odd to me... because last fall when I removed the loader for the new hydro pump install, the 3-point worked perfect afterwards when I needed to yard logs without the loader.

For now I am just mulling it around in my head, but the tractor should be up and running (with grapple bucket) next weekend. (hoses/fittings installed)

Anyone have thoughts? Am I about to have an issue or am I over-thinking/paranoid?

Attachments

• Hydraulic Block Ford 2110.jpg
    Hydraulic Block Ford 2110.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
   / Lost 3-point lift when I disconnect the Loader? #3  
You unplugged the quick connects, started the tractor with nothing connected? You didn't turn the spool in the diverter valve before starting the engine? If so, the three point won't work but the system relief valve will get a workout.

/ Lost 3-point lift when I disconnect the Loader?
Sure you have the correct PB fitting in the new loader valve?....
The new valve is a 3-spool. If it has Power Beyond I am not aware, as there is no "extra" port.
The fact that the new spool valve has not even been pressurized yet tells me this is not a concern. (yet-anyway)

Last edited:
You unplugged the quick connects, started the tractor with nothing connected? You didn't turn the spool in the diverter valve before starting the engine? If so, the three point won't work but the system relief valve will get a workout.
I wasn't aware I needed to.
This is a 1986 tractor, didn't come with nor has it ever had a 'diverter valve' for a third function.
Since I wanted to add a grapple, I simply replaced a 2-spool with a new 3-spool valve. Inlet-Outlet-and 3 working ports. (plugs installed, hoses on the way) The new spool valve hasn't even been pressurized yet.

I have removed or unhooked the loader a few times (quick disconnects) as I stated with no ill effects on the tractors function.

Why on earth would disconnecting the loader hoses give the relief valve a workout? The tractors original design was to run without any attachments in the first place!

For clarification (SEE PHOTO) The main 3/4" steel hydro-line from the pump goes into the square block just ahead of the right side floor board, and straight through to the 3-point system under the seat. The block has Pressure and reTurn quick-connects for the loader or whatever.
There are no electronics, no electric valves, no reason for any tractor function to change, unless something has gone wrong inside this square block.

Maybe the 'back story' should have been left out.
"I disconnected my loader and the 3-point hitch won't lift..."

/ Lost 3-point lift when I disconnect the Loader? #7  
Harry is right. I don't want to sound rude by any means but you may want to read a little bit more about how open center hydraulic systems work.

The block you showed on the picture allows you to run the tractor with or without a loader. It has a spool that needs to be rotated. With no loader attached, you must rotate a spool in that block so the pump feeds the rest of the circuit, in this case, the 3 pt. Right now, it's pushing all the fluid through the relief valve and therefore sending all the fluid back the transmission and not feeding the 3 pt.

With the loader, you would rotate it the other way. The faded sticker on top of the block would indicate that but it's no longer readable.

With the new valve, you need the power beyond fitting for said valve as this is specific.

The Pressure line comes from the block on the tractor to feed the new valve on the P port. The power beyond line comes from the new valve and goes to the other port on the block to feed the rest of the circuit.

Lastly, the Tank line coming from the new loader valve as to connect somewhere into the transmission so it can dump the fluid there.

ptsg, thank you for clarifying a few things! The block was 'set' to share the loader and the 3-point once the new pump was installed. I also learned how to set it from reading the Shibaura portion of this site and confirmed be the young but very competent heavy equipment mechanic. (10 to 2 o'clock) I have actually had the loader off the tractor for logging with no effect on the three point, since it was 'set' to use both the loader and the hitch. ****But now thinking back, the young mechanic did say that the proportionate valve MAY BE worn and vibrating out of position****

The second half of your reply has me confused though.
When I purchased the new valve:
1713612099594.png
I assumed it was "plug and play", and I would only need to hook the original lines into corresponding ports.
Of course adding the two new lines to operate the grapple...

I surely don't mind being wrong. I'm just trying to understand why I would need to alter this new spool valve.
Thanks for your time, it is appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Lost 3-point lift when I disconnect the Loader? #9  
When it comes to hydraulics, open center, closed center or power beyond, NOTHING is plug and play.

/ Lost 3-point lift when I disconnect the Loader? #10  
Forget for a moment the the image below is only for a 2 cylinder valve (yes control block may have many more ports for cylinders) but your concern is probably the "N" port that should supply hydraulic pressure (Power) to 3 PH if you have "typical" open center system...

Screenshot 2024-04-20 081647.jpg

OR ...

Screenshot 2024-04-20 082502.jpg

Last edited: