Losing a best friend

/ Losing a best friend #21  
I lost my buddy a year and a half ago I miss her every day. We did the right thing putting her down, and on the upside my wife used it as a way to take advantage of me and now we have a daughter who I adore very much that was coincidentally born 9 months after diesel passed

/ Losing a best friend #22  
That's the trouble with these little guys is that they never live long enough. My mother, now passed since 2019, said the best way to honor our past dogs is to get more dogs. And while they are with us, it is wonderful, but when they pass, it is horrible.

The past year with the collapse of real estate sales (among other things, I'm a small-time real estate broker in my area) I've reverted to paying bills doing remote mechanical work and I hate leaving my aging labrador at home and especially so knowing my doggie help isn't always staying overnight with him.

I just got home from three weeks elsewhere and my soon-to-be-twelve-year-old-dog cried upon greeting me and pranced around for at least an hour upon my return. I devoted all of my initial time home to playing fetch and making a big deal out of my dog and while I was away, spent much of my "me time" thinking and praying over my dog.

As a Christian I like to think of dogs as angels who have humbled themselves, come down to our low place to show us a little bit of what heaven is like through their unconditional love. Everyday, I spend time with my dog and make a big fuss over him and every day our dogs spend time with us and make a big fuss over us.

All to say, I get it.

Photos are from summer of 2020.

IMG_8180 2.JPG

IMG_8089.JPG

/ Losing a best friend #23  
My Max, is laying at my feet as I type this..... he is 3 1/2 now.
We lost our little Kassie a year and a half ago. She was my "pocket pup" (I snuck her into the house in a large pocket in my coat). She became "my" dog. She stuck with me like a tail. I still miss her every single day!

She helped teaching Max for sure. Max helped me mourn, Max helped me by wanting to play with me. When he goes, I will cry just as I have for all of my passed friends. In another few years, there will be another companion for Max to show the ropes.

The only reason why I wouldn't have another dog is if I know that I have a terminal illness. The wifey is in full agreement.

/ Losing a best friend #24  
i still very much miss Quincey (jack russell, Oct 2016) and Max (golden lab, last April 2022) - i have lots of memories and photos

Quincey - bought as a new puppy.
Max - a rescue that was too much for our friends (they weren't dog people at all)

/ Losing a best friend #25  
My wife and I were renting a house on the beach when we noticed a cat hanging around. We made friends with the cat and eventually realized it was living rough. Our rental was just for the winter. When we had to move come summer my wife told the cat it could come with us if it wanted. She said if it was there the last day we were at the house we would take it with us. That cat, unusually, hung around all day and so it moved with us. We moved to another house on the beach about 4 miles away and lived there while we were getting our house built so he still got to use the huge cat box. Anyway, that cat was such a smart and good cat. Whenever we had visitors they all wanted to visit with our cat first thing. Though he died over a decade ago I am still tearing up writing this. Sometimes pets can be remarkably empathic and he was like that. He also did not play favorites with my wife and I. He treated us both the same, was affectionate with both of us to the same degree. We called him our "equal opportunity cat". I can't believe how much I still miss him. My wife feels the same way. And we have friends who still talk about him.
Eric