Looking to buy my first JD

/ Looking to buy my first JD #11  
I bought a new (leftover) 2018 - X580 w/54" deck last summer, very happy with it!

/ Looking to buy my first JD #12  
The 100 series you find at Lowes or Home Depot are MTD. Not the 300 up series.

Not true.

All Deere lawn tractors and lawn/garden tractors are designed and built by JD (from the S100's all the way up through the X700's). The 100's just use lower-grade components because they are designed specifically for small suburban 1/4-1/2 acre smooth lawns. Then people try to use them for larger tasks and usually end up taking it to the Deere dealer and complaining that they don't last (the dealer could have sold them the correct tractor for their application in the first place). Also the Deere dealers carry the exact same 100's as the box stores and will usually match the price but then you get better service through the dealer.

/ Looking to buy my first JD #13  
john deere mower decks are junk don't last very long. Have a MTD riding mower used it for over 15 years still works been sitting out side for over 15 years and its still in pretty good condition. I have a cub cadet excellent
machine its aXT! 46 inch cut kohler 22 hp engine great machine put the jd to shame! I will never purchase a JD
again I have a jd lawn mower tractor that runs good seat is crap[, deck is crap spindles didn't ;last a year

willy

/ Looking to buy my first JD #14  
Lots of guys say my old jd is still running great! Now go buy a new jd and you will be singing a different tune
they don't make them any thing like the old ones and they don't last very long. Years ago I believe Yanmar
made the riding lawn mower tractors for jd

will;y

/ Looking to buy my first JD #15  
Hi,

I've got a 16 year old Husqvarna mower that I'm ready to upgrade. It has been a good dependable garden tractor with no real problems. I have a 1.6 acre lot that is pretty level but does have a good slope for about 1/2 of the back. I've considered buying another Husq but I've read where they are going to stop making lawn tractors and focus on commercial stuff to I'm concerned about parts availability in the future.

Been looking at other brands, Cub Cadet XT2 series and JD. It bothers me that the Cubs are made by MTD (maker of most cheap mowers). On the other hand, the JD is much more expensive than about any other brand when you get similar features. I've never had a hydrostatic drive and seems like I need to move up in in price to get a better quality transmission (one that will last many years).

Hoping for some advice hear. Going to check out some JDs at the local dealer tomorrow. I was originally in the 4k price range but I now know that isn't feasible for a higher end model. Guess I'm wondering if I need to move up to the x500 series for the better tranny or will the x300 series do me fine? I don't expect to use it to do anything but mow and maybe pull an aerator and spreader a couple of times a year.

Also, are the MSRP the price you always pay or do dealers discount any? Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Rut
Rut,
You may have already chosen a machine by now ? FWIW, I have had a JD Z425 for about 10 years. I purchased mine at a JD Dealer after noting the differences between the same model at "big box" stores. They box stores are really clever at hiding swapped components on the "same" products. I have had almost no issues with my mower. It had a hitch already on it. Of course with a ZTR, you have to pay more attention when something is hooked up because it will turn on a dime. My only real recommendation is to get a Zero Turn. I mow about 2.5 acres, with some trees and slopes. I have found the ZTR to be waaaaay more comfortable to mow with. You get to stretch your legs out and the seating position is much better. I opted for the 48" deck as a compromise between handling, uneven ground and storing. Today I would probably go with a 54" ?
J.

/ Looking to buy my first JD #16  
Now my concern is whether my outdoor storage building. This things weighs about 800 lbs. Should I be concerned putting this in the storage building with 2x6 floor joists? To make it worst, the doors are on the long side so the tractor's weight all be on the same joists front to back (the same direction the joists run).

600 for the machine plus 150 for the deck, so 750, not that 50 pounds will make a difference. Remember to add your own weight, even though that would be temporary while moving it in our out.

Deck shows 68", probably with the chute down. Means you'll need a 6 foot door at a minimum. Can you cut a new door in the end? Reinforce the floor?

For that matter, do you really want a machine with gasoline and oil parked on a wooden floor? I personally would not.

/ Looking to buy my first JD #17  
The 100 series you find at Lowes or Home Depot are MTD. Not the 300 up series.

I don't know where people get their information, but the 100 series and 200 series lawn tractors are made in the John Deere Power Products factory in Greenville, TN. Here's a link to a JD 30th Anniversary news release about the Greenville factory: John Deere Power Products Celebrates 30 Year Anniversary

It includes a photo of one of the employees sitting on a 100 series lawn tractor. So, unless MTD owns John Deere, your information is not correct.

/ Looking to buy my first JD #18  
I don't know where people get their information, but the 100 series and 200 series lawn tractors are made in the John Deere Power Products factory in Greenville, TN. Here's a link to a JD 30th Anniversary news release about the Greenville factory: John Deere Power Products Celebrates 30 Year Anniversary

It includes a photo of one of the employees sitting on a 100 series lawn tractor. So, unless MTD owns John Deere, your information is not correct.
I stand corrected. I had been told many times they were outsourced, and they look similar under the skin, but I guess that's not the case. They do seem to use a lot of the same components as other mowers in that price range.

/ Looking to buy my first JD #19  
If you're going to hold on to a tractor for 16,20 years a Simplicity Conquest is the way to go.

/ Looking to buy my first JD #20  
Years ago I believe Yanmar made the riding lawn mower tractors for jd

Well, you can certainly "believe" anything you want, but the statement is not true. John Deere has been making their own lawn tractors since they introduced them into their product line.

The funny thing about what people believe is they rarely have facts they can cite to back up what they believe. When I bought my JD garden tractor in 1997, people back then "believed" that the current (1997) product line was junk - and "they don't make them like they used to."

Funny thing is, I still use the junk JD garden tractor I bought in 1997 to mow my lawn and do chores with it. It looks and runs exactly like it did the day I bought it. But, I take care of it and do preventive maintenance several times a year.

Same thing today. With ZERO proof other than what they "believe" people make statements about the quality of the products being sold today. I'm betting if you buy a 300, 500, or 700 series lawn tractor today and take care of it, 20 years from now, the latest crop of lawn tractor "experts" will be stating, "they don't make them like they used to," referring to the "junk" being made in 2021 as the quality they wish were still being made.

It's the never-ending circular rinse-and-repeat refrain from the self-appointed experts who have a personal opinion and little else...