Looking for small off-road trailer

/ Looking for small off-road trailer #31  
I bought a CMI dump trailer, 4000 lb gross. Front, back and sides come off, only the four corner posts are left. Trailer weighs 700 lb.

I'm using hydraulics off of my tractor to dump it, but you can dump it from a UTV with electro-hydraulic.

They also have smaller sizes. I like this trailer a lot. I haul dirt, limbs, wood and use it as a large wheelbarrow.

It is not street legal, speed is limited to 15 mph.

Attachments

• 20220720_131146.jpg
    20220720_131146.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 79
   / Looking for small off-road trailer #32  
I built one and had fun doing it. I started with the smallest Harbor Freight trailer in a box. In order to use wheels with the offset and width for real off road tires I ended up using 2" wheel spacers. I miscalculated as 1" would have worked fine. The side rails were some scrap that I had laying around. This trailer has been pulled in excess of thirty mph offroad. It has real wheel bearings vs the tiny little wheelbarrow bearings used in many of the commercial produced trailers. I have around $600 invested in it.

Attachments

• DSCN2355.JPG
    DSCN2355.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 79
  • DSCN2356.JPG
    DSCN2356.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 77
   / Looking for small off-road trailer
I built one and had fun doing it. I started with the smallest Harbor Freight trailer in a box. In order to use wheels with the offset and width for real off road tires I ended up using 2" wheel spacers. I miscalculated as 1" would have worked fine. The side rails were some scrap that I had laying around. This trailer has been pulled in excess of thirty mph offroad. It has real wheel bearings vs the tiny little wheelbarrow bearings used in many of the commercial produced trailers. I have around $600 invested in it.
I looked into this exact idea. I need to learn to weld, it holds back a lot of good ideas I have. Got a neighbor who is half way decent and I think would teach me, got to get on him this summer about it.

Good job!

/ Looking for small off-road trailer #34  
These are two of the three trailer I use on my property... I would need to change the tires on the double axel quad trailer they don't have enough flotation in the mud but the tandem oscillating axel dose wonder, you can go across a ditch and the trailer bed pretty much stay level. (see video below for demonstration)

The second one is a very solid trailer but too heavy for off roading behind my quad but I use it a lot in the field and on solid ground... a very good trailer to pull behind the tractor tho...

1680517942628.png

1680517962997.png

1680517980733.png

These are two of the three trailer I use on my property... I would need to change the tires on the double axel quad trailer they don't have enough flotation in the mud but the tandem oscillating axel dose wonder, you can go across a ditch and the trailer bed pretty much stay level. (see video below for demonstration)

The second one is a very solid trailer but too heavy for off roading behind my quad but I use it a lot in the field and on solid ground... a very good trailer to pull behind the tractor tho...

View attachment 792930

View attachment 792931

View attachment 792932

that tandem video is worth watching if anyone is on the fence! Wow.

/ Looking for small off-road trailer #37  
ATV.png

It looks very good, however wheels sticking out like that would be a big problem in my case due to many trees on the property.
I needed trailer not any wider than ATV or whatever is pulling it behind.

Your mileage may differ - perhaps your property is more open or trees further apart and it's not a big deal?

/ Looking for small off-road trailer #38  
View attachment 793074

It looks very good, however wheels sticking out like that would be a big problem in my case due to many trees on the property.
I needed trailer not any wider than ATV or whatever is pulling it behind.

Your mileage may differ - perhaps your property is more open or trees further apart and it's not a big deal?
It really isn't a big deal. Plenty of two tracks and open fields on my place. About the only time that this rig has to get out into the brush is when I retrieve a downed deer. I can pick my way through most of it or just drag the deer out to an access point if needed. That wide stance makes a super stable trailer.

/ Looking for small off-road trailer #39  
I needed a trailer that could transport my ATV an also go anywhere thru the woods that the ATV could go.

Attachments

• small trailer with atv 006 (Small).jpg
    small trailer with atv 006 (Small).jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 62
  • sm trailer loaded (Small).jpg
    sm trailer loaded (Small).jpg
    314 KB · Views: 63
I'll post some photos later, but I received my Polar hd1500 this past week and put it to use this weekend.

1) Great instructions, it's simple to put together but I have been SO disappointed with instructions from places, I was impressed.
2) Solid bolts and hardware, again impressed.
3)Works great! I can lay down in it like a bath tub and its deeper than my truck bed, I'd say two full carts equals a full bed of sticks or dirt, and for dirt and heavier products....well my Tundra has a low payload so I can probably haul more in this trailer.

I used it mainly for firewood collection and towed with my ATV. Great getting into areas my truck or tractor struggle with to collect branches and what not. The big downside is its dumping action, the dump is smooth and easy to rotate which is great, but things don't just slide out. It takes a person actually raking/pulling everything out. This is a known issue if you look into it though and IMO not a deal killer.

If you can make your own and weld, sure do that you can probably do better. But for a guy like me who can't weld...I'm very happy with this trailer, it does exactly what I want and is very well built IMO.