looking for rare metric bolts

/ looking for rare metric bolts #62  
In your opinion not in mine, you are entitled to yours, I'm entitled to mine.
And then I know mine is correct :ROFLMAO:
All others are wrong
You should enter the Scientific field!

/ looking for rare metric bolts #63  
I guess I'm lucky. My tractor dealer stocks a large supply of both SAE and metric bolts. They sell by the pound for a reasonable price. The hardware stores don't have much of a selection over 1/2", especially in grade 8, and there metric sizes seem to run out at around 12mm or so.

/ looking for rare metric bolts #64  
I love these things in both SAE and metric.... Have both....
index.jpg

/ looking for rare metric bolts #65  
OK, I made two drawings of a 14mm x 1.25 hole with a 9/16-18 hole superimposed. The length of the drawing is one inch. The distance between the red line and the black line running the length of the drawing is 6 thousandths of an inch. As you can see some of the thread coincides almost perfectly while some does not. One drawing shows the threads superimposed while the other drawing shows what the thread would actually look like. Wherever the line is red there will be engagement of the 9/16-18 thread and bolt. Wherever the black lines are will be clearance. In reality if the 14mm hole was tapped to 9/16-18 there would be a little difference from drawing because the tap would tend to wander a little back and forth. Nevertheless it looks to me that over length of 1 inch or 25mm there will be plenty of engagement to provide enough strength or holding power. Even at a thread length of 18mm you should be OK. If this was my tractor I would open up the holes from 14mm x 1.25 to 9/16-18 TPI. I would use blue Loctite on the bolts too. And I would check them from time to time to see if they loosen. If they do loosen then I would probably drill and tap for a larger fastener. BTW, if you decide to tap 9/16-18 don't use a tap drill, just run the new tap into the existing hole. Of course the above is only my opinion. YMMV.
20230130_163021.jpg
20230130_173333.jpg

Last edited:
   / looking for rare metric bolts
Ok guys I finally got back at it today. The threads are in fact 1.5. I am going to go to Rural King tomorrow and see if they have them.

Thanks for everyone's help, sorry for the mix up and waist of time trying to help me find 1.25 lol.

Last edited:
   / looking for rare metric bolts #67  
Ok guys I finally got back at it today. The threads are in fact 1.5. I am going to go to Rural King tomorrow and see if they have them.

Thanks for everyone's help, sorry for the mix up and waist of time trying to help me find 1.25 lol.
Then nevermind the drawings I just posted.
Eric

/ looking for rare metric bolts #68  
You'll have no trouble finding 1.5mm.

/ looking for rare metric bolts #69  

:ROFLMAO:

/ looking for rare metric bolts #70  
Then nevermind the drawings I just posted.
Eric
That layout confirmed a lot of raised eyebrows. In the real world, the new "thread" would probably look even worse, attempting to free-hand the tap in straight. (IIRC, they were in the engine block)